Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Thinking of Getting Touch

I'm considering getting an iPod Touch.

Could others, that have had experience with this device, please tell me their thoughts on the Touch? This would not be as a main reader but just for when I'm out and about. (I also would use it for music, videos, some emailing and for internet sometimes.) Any comments/advice about reading on the Touch, or any comments about the Touch in general (good and/or not so good) would be greatly appreciated.

I read in the forum, that by using Stanza and Calibre this enables ePubs to be read on it. What other format ebooks can it handle please? Are there any other apps or programs that would be handy in regard to reading? Thank you.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
With Calibre? Just about any format without DRM. Some work better than others of course.

Stanza is a great reader for the iPhone/Touch. But there quite a few out there now-both general purpose (Stanza, Txtr) and more specific (Kindle Reader, B&N Reader, Kobo Reader, eReader), plus PDF readers (GoodReader). The best part is that most of them are free to try and use.

Edit: One thing to keep in mind...the current Touches are actually a lot more different than just in storage size..the 8G (low end) version uses the last generation processor, something they don't mention clearly.

Last edited by kjk; 01-30-2010 at 04:12 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Yes absolutely get a touch-it's a wonderful device. I read on it before I got an e-reader and I didn't mind it. You can turn down the backlight if that bothers you. Only problem I had was that the screen was a little small.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
With Calibre? Just about any format without DRM. Some work better than others of course.

Stanza is a great reader for the iPhone/Touch. But there quite a few out there now-both general purpose (Stanza, Txtr) and more specific (Kindle Reader, B&N Reader, Kobo Reader, eReader), plus PDF readers (GoodReader). The best part is that most of them are free to try and use.

Edit: One thing to keep in mind...the current Touches are actually a lot more different than just in storage size..the 8G (low end) version uses the last generation processor, something they don't mention clearly.
Thanks for the reply, kjk.

Seems great that there are so many free apps to try that are related to ereading; I will take note of the ones you have mentioned. Do some of these apps require jailbreaking the device? If I get a Touch then it would be the 3G with 32gb and the faster processor.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Javed
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Yes absolutely get a touch-it's a wonderful device. I read on it before I got an e-reader and I didn't mind it. You can turn down the backlight if that bothers you. Only problem I had was that the screen was a little small.
Thanks for your reply, Canuck.

That's good that the screen brightness can be adjusted if need be. The Touch wouldn't be my main reader; I'm thinking it would be great as a very portable reader and that I may enjoy using some of its other features as well (that I currently do not have in a portable device such as internet).
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Yeah, you can read every major format on the iPod Touch - DRM or non-DRM.

For B&N ePubs, use the B&N reader.

For Kindle books, use the Kindle Reader.

For non-DRM ePubs, use Stanza & (calibre or stanza desktop or email).

For Sony DRM ePubs, use Txtr.

Any other formats you are interested in? I don't remember what I used for chms, but there is something out there.

Overall I loved my iPod Touch (and now my iPhone). Stanza is my favorite reader because it's easy to change the brightness (slide finger up and down the center of the page) and the page turn mechanisms are the most fluid (turn by hand or tap on right or left side of screen).

For my contacts and calendar I use google sync. It's great to have notifications and everything automatically added when I add to my google calendar. Much nicer than plugging in and syncing with iTunes, or paying $100 a year for mobileme.

One point - if you are consider getting an iPhone instead, just do it. $299 for a 32GB iPhone OR for a 32GB Touch. You'll pay more for your phone plan but you make up for it in functionality (3G).
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Yep, me too. Fine for fiction but I'll be buying an iPad or iRex (maybe both) for technical books.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
Javed
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks Nikkie.

Your post is very helpful. I had a look at a demo video about Stanza and from what I saw it looks really good. I hadn't been considering an iPhone, I may look into the costs regarding this just to see. Besides the 3G connection with the iPhone (and the fact it is a phone) what other pluses would there be over the Touch?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Thanks Nikkie.

Your post is very helpful. I had a look at a demo video about Stanza and from what I saw it looks really good. I hadn't been considering an iPhone, I may look into the costs regarding this just to see. Besides the 3G connection with the iPhone (and the fact it is a phone) what other pluses would there be over the Touch?
I think the persistent data connection (thru 3G) and GPS are the two big differences.GPS isn't just for driving apps-there are several location aware apps that also take advantage of it.

None of the apps I mentioned require Jailbreaking. I never got around to it on any of my iPhones I hear there is a nice community built around it though.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
Javed
Grand Sorcerer

kjk, I only heared about jailbreaking yesterday when looking online a bit about the Touch, good to know this isn't required for those you mentioned.

I'm wondering, can text size be changed on the Touch while using Stanza? Also how is reflow?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
kjk, I only heared about jailbreaking yesterday when looking online a bit about the Touch, good to know this isn't required for those you mentioned.

I'm wondering, can text size be changed on the Touch while using Stanza? Also how is reflow?
Stanza uses ePub as their default format-but overrides certain settings like fonts, font sizes, and formatting. This is both a good thing and a bad thing, depending It definitely makes it more straightforward and simple.

Reflow is not an issue-ePubs are great at it. And yes, you can change margins, line spacing, and text size along with picking any of the iPhone typefaces.

And definitely take a look at Calibre, and their forum here...Calibre with Stanza is a great combo. I have Calibre running its built in server...and Stanza on the iPhone can access all the books stored there (that I've saved to ePub).
Old 01-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #12
nikkie
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I think the persistent data connection (thru 3G) and GPS are the two big differences.GPS isn't just for driving apps-there are several location aware apps that also take advantage of it.

None of the apps I mentioned require Jailbreaking. I never got around to it on any of my iPhones I hear there is a nice community built around it though.
The other niceties are the camera and mic. It's pretty sweet to be able to take a video of your cat with your phone and post it to youtube all in a few minutes.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
nikkie
Guru

Also, I jailbroke mine for a while, but unjailbroke it for the next iPhone OS upgrade. It's cool, but I never really felt I *needed* the jailbroken apps.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
Javed
Grand Sorcerer

@kjk
Ok, that's good regarding reflow. I will definitely find out more about the Calibre/Stanza combo. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #15
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
The other niceties are the camera and mic. It's pretty sweet to be able to take a video of your cat with your phone and post it to youtube all in a few minutes.
ahahaha, those two are adorable! great names too.