Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Does B&N charge sales tax on Nook and eBooks?

Curious if people who preordered were charged sales tax. In my case this would add 7% (or $18) to the cost to the cost of the reader.
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
jkeranen
jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505/B&N Nook
I was charged $15.54 for Michigan sales tax.
jkeranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
This is one place where Amazon will beat them......wonder if they will charge sales tax for the ebooks also?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
This is one place where Amazon will beat them......wonder if they will charge sales tax for the ebooks also?
Yeah, because every state they have a brick and mortar store in, they're required to charge sales tax. But I've bought several ebooks from them and don't get charged sales tax for the books, so I don't know whether there's a separate law for electronic files, or what.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
jkeranen
jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505/B&N Nook
Quote:
I was not charged sales tax on two ebooks that I purchased from the B&N store to my iPhone.

You aren't saying that you commit tax fraud by not paying sales tax on out of state purchases when you file your state taxes every year, are you?

jkeranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I've bought several ebooks from them and don't get charged sales tax for the books, so I don't know whether there's a separate law for electronic files, or what.
That's good news; the tax adds up over time if one's a heavy reader (or a heavy buyer).

BTW on purchases from B&N using a B&N credit card, one gets a 5% rebate for each purchase. Wonder if this will apply to the reader and the ebooks. Has anyone who preordered used a B&N card?

Last edited by GJN; 10-22-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: addition
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJN View Post
BTW on purchases from B&N using a B&N credit card, one gets a 5% rebate for each purchase. Wonder if this will apply to the reader and the ebooks. Has anyone who preordered used a B&N card?
Good question. I was going to preorder and use my B&N Mastercard but decided not to for several reasons, including that my B&N membership discount wouldn't apply to the Nook. My understanding is that the discounts will apply to the ebooks, but I need to get that clarified as well.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Doesn't affect those of us in Washington state much, since Amazon charges us tax, too. New York and a couple others also require sales tax for internet sales, regardless of the presence of a physical store. Still, sort of a bummer, never was an issue with the Sony store . . .
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yes. They have to charge tax in any state they have a storefront.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #10
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

I just did a little test, and can confirm that I was charged sales tax for an ebook purchase, though washington state may have more stringent tax laws about internet purchases than other states. For example, I was never charged sales tax on iTunes in Illinois, but am charged here in WA. Those who care may be wise to look up their state sales tax codes or simply try a $1.99 purchase to test the system.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
I'm really discouraged ... They're charging sales tax on their ebooks and we're not even sure if they're lowering prices... I wanna love this but they're making it hard for me. =(
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj1n View Post
I'm really discouraged ... They're charging sales tax on their ebooks and we're not even sure if they're lowering prices... I wanna love this but they're making it hard for me. =(
They are required to pay sales tax if they have a brick and mortar store in your state.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
They are required to pay sales tax if they have a brick and mortar store in your state.

Dale
Yeah I realize that and there's one pretty much in every state. I guess it isn't much of a big deal but that compounded with the higher prices is really making it hard for me to love this product. I just don't know what to do right now.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #14
kezza
Lowlife of the Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj1n View Post
Yeah I realize that and there's one pretty much in every state. I guess it isn't much of a big deal but that compounded with the higher prices is really making it hard for me to love this product. I just don't know what to do right now.
Buy nook-compatible books at sites which don't charge sales tax. You won't be able to shop on the device, but you'll probably spend less money. Ereader.com, fictionwise.com, cyberread and powell's all come to mind. Also, there are thousands of free books in nook-compatible formats at manybooks.net and also on this forum.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:12 AM   #15
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
listen people, weather an online store collects sales tax or not, you are still required by law to pay sales tax on all online purchases. I'm not saying anyone actually does, but complaining about sales tax is like complaining about the weather. its not gonna change anything.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote