Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-13-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
stevej46
stevej46 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Sigil vs InDesign

I have finally published my first eBook thru Lulu.com. Today my eBook had a link added to iBookstore. It took me several weeks to figure out what I was doing. I started first by trying to convert from OpenOffice .ODT to ePub using Calibre. After lots of tries and frustration, I downloaded and put the book together with InDesign. I still had errors when I exported to ePub format.

Now that I have finally finished my first book, I was wondering how others think about using just Sigil to create and edit their eBooks? Sigil sure helped me edit the ePubs I exported from InDesign. So do I even need InDesign now?

I hope to be able to contribute more to this forum. I feel I have finally learned enough to answer a few questions.

Steve Johnson
stevej46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:43 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I never use InDesign. I create everything in Word, because I have some great macro's which help me to correct OCR errors and create a relative clean and complete export to HTML. I read that HTML into Sigil, do a little additional styling and the ePUB is ready.

For me that is a lot easier than InDesign. What I don't like about InDesign is the stylesheet it produces. It is much larger than it should be, with a lot of redundant code. That will not help the performance of the ePUB.

As you can see, no Calibre. I use Calibre for library management, not for ePUB creation.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
InDesign's strengths lie in its page layout tools, which can't be beaten, but are largely irrelevant for reflowable content. There are certainly a lot of alternatives that are far cheaper and more suitable for ePubs. As Toxaris said, Word or similar programs like Atlantis or OpenOffice that can export xml are a good place to start, and offer a richer set of tools for text creation.

It's certainly possible to create an ePub entirely in Sigil. But it's really designed as an editor, and to get the most out of it you need to understand how xhtml and css works.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
I use either Word or Open Office to begin the process and then move to Sigil. The reason, for me, is simply that InDesign is a very special-use product and I can operate in the other formats for free.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I create everything in Word
And you have a Tux avatar? Tux is ashamed of you.

I certainly don't think InDesign is the proper tool for ePub creation. Personally, I just write the (X)HTML in vim, or else write in LaTeX (again in vim) and convert to (X)HTML, hand-write the XML, and zip it up myself. But I'm a control freak.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There is a macro for ODT that can be used to product ePub files. It has its own forum here. Atlantis can also save directly into ePub format. Sigil is a great tool but you mostly have to work in code view directly changing xhtml code. It is not a writing tool currently.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
And you have a Tux avatar? Tux is ashamed of you.
No, he isn't. My server is Linux and I run two installations on my laptop. Epub is Windows and almost everything else is Linux.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
NeilPet
NeilPet began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
As long as the workflow for a serious book is manuscript => printed book => ebook, Indesign will largely be where the content for ebooks comes from. So the issues that we all suffer with in translating an ID ePub/Mobi file into a clean version will have to be dealt with.

Sorry, but "...ePub is Windows..."? On what planet?
NeilPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I use Sigil for epubs then Calibre to convert them to mobipocket.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Sigil is multiplatform... 0.4.0 was just released 3 days ago.

And ePub is an open format. Meaning you could use any desktop OS and still manage to whip out a perfectly valid ePub.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:27 AM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPet View Post
Sorry, but "...ePub is Windows..."? On what planet?
You misinterpret my post. What I stated, or at least meant to state, is that I create ePUBS on windows and for the rest of the activities I use Linux. Of course the format windows is not restricted to Windows.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #12
Dillinquent
eBook pro
Dillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toys

Device: PC, iPad, Kindle, Kindle Fire, Galaxy Ace
Most of my clients supply their ms' in Word or Open Office format which I export as filtered html and then clean up in Dreamweaver which has an excellent command for removing all the junk that Word & OO introduce. Once the code is clean I convert it to xhtml then copy and paste it into a blank Sigil book. I find Sigil a pain for editing the xhtml as it is always trying to second-guess what you're trying to do and has a nasty habit of screwing up your code if it doesn't like what you're doing. However Sigil is very good at making the TOC and packaging epubs, and the validation tool is superb.
InDesign is great for laying out magazines but rubbish for making epubs.
Dillinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:54 AM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinquent View Post
I find Sigil a pain for editing the xhtml as it is always trying to second-guess what you're trying to do and has a nasty habit of screwing up your code if it doesn't like what you're doing.
I am a little puzzled. I almost use the same method. I don't use DreamWeaver but create clean HTML with a macro, but the rest is the same.

I don't find it a pain to edit the xhtml. In fact, Sigil does almost nothing to my code. Only when I switch views or give another windows the focus, Sigil will try to make sure the xhtml file is correct and proposes fixes to assure that. I never had it screwing up my code if the xhtml file was correct in the first place.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I suspect the difference might be whether you use Sigil in code mode or WYSIWYG mode. When people talk about using Sigil they need to be specific. The behavior Dillinquent offered sounds like WYSIWYG mode and what you describe is code mode.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
Toxaris
Wizard

Yeah, that could be. I am almost always in codeview and only check the bookview every now and then.

Tags
calibre, epubcheck, indesign, sigil