Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
varying epub sizes

This is a quick question just for my own enlightenment. I have a lot of epubs that were created from pdfs and converted with Calibre. They are basically full size novels. The average size is well under 500k, often around 250k. I have recently been reading a lot of epubs from the library and they range in size from 1M to 2.5M. They don't have images, other than the cover page. They appear to have around the same number of pages of simple text as any novel.

It is very consistent that the library epubs average a good 3 - 4 times the size of my Calibre created epubs. Anyone have a clue why this would be?

Jackie
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Embedded fonts?
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjansen View Post
This is a quick question just for my own enlightenment. I have a lot of epubs that were created from pdfs and converted with Calibre. They are basically full size novels. The average size is well under 500k, often around 250k. I have recently been reading a lot of epubs from the library and they range in size from 1M to 2.5M. They don't have images, other than the cover page. They appear to have around the same number of pages of simple text as any novel.

It is very consistent that the library epubs average a good 3 - 4 times the size of my Calibre created epubs. Anyone have a clue why this would be?

Jackie
sloppy coding (or conversion)? Thousands of div's, spans that are not simple/clean

You, just do good work ?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
Embedded fonts?
This is usually the reason. The full Charis font is 1.6MB for each weight and style. Publishers tend to bung it in because it covers the entire unicode range.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote