Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
kevinofengland
Connoisseur
kevinofengland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Can I give ebooks away that I own?

I have been reading free ebooks from this site since I got my reader which must be nearly 2years ago. I just brought The Lost Symbol - By Dan Brown which cost nearly fourteen pounds. I feel that I have been robbed, silly really, as I get to read the book which is the objective.

Am I allowed to pass on the ebook when I have read it? I would normally do this with a normal book. What do I own? And If i can share it how many times. If I could give the book away after I'm done with it.

Thanks
Kevin
kevinofengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
This is almost certainly against the terms of service when you bought it. And the DRM may make this difficult.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs505, Kindle 3, iPhone4
I don't think that here in the UK you are supposed to pass round paperbacks, either. Make your own decision Kevin! We miss out over here on the free books by Sony etc. When will they become more of the norm over here?
Panda Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
England? I have no idea. In the US here is how it goes.

Legally. YES Legally NO

Your allowed to pass the book but your not allowed to defeat the DRM to do it.

See the catch?

If there is no DRM or Protection (on the ORIGINAL you bought) then lawfully as long as you do not KEEP a copy yes you may give it away to another person. You can even SELL it to them if you want.

Under no conditions (except with permission license or PD) are you allowed to SHARE it ie put it only make multiple copies to give away etc..
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
DRM is a bitch. Piracy is not giving a book to a friend. Piracy is making a business of ripping off other folks' work. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
Oh and lets not forget IT IS NOT THEFT.

Its copyright infringement. WRONG yes THEFT no.

DRM on the other hand IS THEFT.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote