Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
BilK
BilK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD7
Kindle for Android App--Files deleted off Kindle return as "new" files

I am having trouble with sideloaded books (via Calibre) coming back after they are deleted from my Kindle App.

I tried deleting using the 'delete book' function in the app, I tried deleting them using Calibre, and I tried deleting them from the Kindle directory using file manager app.

The books go away for a while, but end up coming back, marked as 'new'. Even after several deletions, they still come back. I'm not sure how long it takes--I usually notice after a few hours that they have returned to my library on the device.

I can't figure out where the files are coming from. They aren't in the Amazon cloud, as they are sideloaded books. I have not had the devices connected to my PC or Calibre. It's not a matter of them just being visible in the carousel--the books are actually on my device and can be opened to read.

This happens on both of my Android devices.
BilK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:53 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Are you looking at cloud or device?
If you are looking at all, they are not on your app.
That is a common error. Once you delete, you have to redownload.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2017, 10:22 PM   #3
BilK

They are actually on the device. They were never in the cloud--these books were sideloaded using Calibre, not purchased from Amazon.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:23 PM   #4
BilK

...and my problem is that once I delete, they seem to be downloading themselves from somewhere onto my device again. I don't know where they are coming from.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:35 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilK View Post
...and my problem is that once I delete, they seem to be downloading themselves from somewhere onto my device again. I don't know where they are coming from.
Ok. You said on a tablet. Go to "my files" on your tablet and try to delete from there.
Advert
Old 02-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #6
BilK

By 'My Files', do you mean under Internal Storage in the Android settings?

I've already tried using the file manager app to delete them from the kindle folder--books still shows up again after a while.

After a doing a search of the internal memory, it did find a .bin file with the same name as the book's .mobi file. I deleted it as well--maybe that is what is causing the issue.

The same folder has .bin files with the two books I am currently reading as well. Any idea what those files do or where they come from? I'm guessing that they have bookmark information to that the books I am currently reading open to the last page read.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:14 AM   #7
BilK

The .bin files I mentioned above were on my phone. I found no such files on my tablet. The reappearing books were/are happening on both my phone and tablet.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Odd.
I have a shortcut on my tablet labeled my files.
Anyway I am now out of ideas.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I haven't seen this on an Android device before, but on e-ink Kindles a book constantly returning after being deleted is a sign of failure of the flash storage of the device.

The file appears to be deleted, but only the copy cached in RAM is actually gone. It stays behind on the flash storage chip due to a failure to write changes. Eventually the device re-reads the flash storage and the book files re-appear.

If you are using a removable SD-card, you may want to try replacing it.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 AM   #10
Maryjo
Maryjo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I haven't seen this on an Android device before, but on e-ink Kindles a book constantly returning after being deleted is a sign of failure of the flash storage of the device.

The file appears to be deleted, but only the copy cached in RAM is actually gone. It stays behind on the flash storage chip due to a failure to write changes. Eventually the device re-reads the flash storage and the book files re-appear.
What do you do then? This has been happening with my PW2
Maryjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjo View Post
What do you do then? This has been happening with my PW2
It means just what was written.
The flash storage chip in your Kindle is bad or corrupted.
It is not possible to fix and having a shop replace it is more expensive than a new Kindle.

It also means backup everything that you can from the Kindle.
And it means that you get to buy a new Kindle.

Good timing.
If you are in the USA (or shop the USA store), Amazon might be having a "Memorial Day" sale at the end of this month.
I write **might** because I don't keep track of when they have sales.

Last edited by knc1; 05-21-2017 at 09:13 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote