Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #31
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I have a master's degree in User Experience Design, so I put my degree to use and I think most people would agree that it is the easiest to follow, currently.
Really? Along with that "ha ha" about our posting styles make me raise an eyebrow. Is "User Experience Design" some arcane branch of psychological studies, or is that somehow related to computer science?

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-04-2016 at 03:02 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #32
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Good lord everyone, relax. Thanks for the effort swifty. I always appreciate people writing documentation.

If you really want to help, we could use a mobileread wiki page with instructions on how to do this. I agree the current documentation for nearly everything here is pretty poorly put together/scattered around.

Last edited by Branch Delay; 07-04-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Branch Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Would it work updating a UK PW3 with a standard US firmware update?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #34
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Let's just lock this thread and let if fall into oblivion where it belongs.

My hours spent here trying to educate you have clearly fallen on deaf ears.

I'd rather not lock a thread unless there is no other choice.

But I have to agree, that @swifty's statement:

Quote:
Yeah the way all these guides are written is incredibly difficult to follow. Red text, bold, numbers, everything littered all over a thread haha. I have a master's degree in User Experience Design, so I put my degree to use and I think most people would agree that it is the easiest to follow, currently.
comes across as rather rude. Well, I don't know how we ever managed without you if we were that incompetent.

But plenty of people managed to understand those guides. And I don't see what you have really added other than the pictures.
Pictures do often help clear up confusion, so kudos to you on giving a visual guide.

Keep in mind that this is still day #1.

Documentation and writeups take time to clean up, and if you hadn't posted this thread, someone else would have. Without the serious flaws you started off with, and the accreditation you had to be prompted into.
Apparently, the sainted User Experience Design degree isn't everything.

Now, I am sure none of that was intentional, and you did fix those issues when they were pointed out.

So I will make a deal with you. You go easy on us, and we go easy on you.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-04-2016 at 02:34 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #35
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The answer has not changed since the last time you asked.

But... from both past experience with you, and the current evidence of your user profile, I don't believe you actually own a Kindle device at all.

Since the only person who thinks a UK Kindle might be a problem, is the only person who doesn't actually own any device relevant to this subforum, will you kindly not post anything here that does not help the purpose of the thread but rather creates noise?
Advert
Old 07-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #36
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
And because I'm in a benevolent mood: there are no region-specific FW updates (factory or ota), so the whole point is moot anyway .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The answer has not changed since the last time you asked.

But... from both past experience with you, and the current evidence of your user profile, I don't believe you actually own a Kindle device at all.

Since the only person who thinks a UK Kindle might be a problem, is the only person who doesn't actually own any device relevant to this subforum, will you kindly not post anything here that does not help the purpose of the thread but rather creates noise?
Just because I don't own a Kindle does not mean I do not know others with a Kindle. So please don't presume you know why I am posting.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
And because I'm in a benevolent mood: there are no region-specific FW updates (factory or ota), so the whole point is moot anyway .
Thank you. That helps.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #39
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Exactly my point, NiLuJe.

The people who actually own Kindles, know that already.
Because they have actually gone to the firmware download page hosted by Amazon, and seen the unified firmware downloads.
Or because of the hundreds of times it has come up throughout the forum.
Or because of the constant advice to base everything on serial numbers, which tie into device prefixes.

I have nothing against JSWolf posting in the Kindle Developer's Corner, I have just never seen him post something which was actually useful and/or helpful.
His signal-to-noise ratio here is very low, which doesn't surprise me since he is a Kobo person. The only thing that surprises me is that he posts here without any particular purpose.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #40
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Just because I don't own a Kindle does not mean I do not know others with a Kindle. So please don't presume you know why I am posting.
Then how about I ask you.

Do you intend to jailbreak someone else's Kindle for them?
If so, have you read the associated resources in this forum related to jailbreaking and installing hacks to a Kindle? There is a lot of useful information there, and you probably would have answered your question from there, several times over....

But it is a moot point. Why did you post the same question in this thread twice, after ignoring the first answer you got? Which was "consult knc1's thread, which tells you to consult the serial numbers table and select the matching package from the pastebin".

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-04-2016 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-04-2016, 02:52 PM   #41
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My answer still applies, just like last time you asked this question (with slightly different words).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...28#post3346128
Old 07-04-2016, 02:54 PM   #42
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Where did myself or anyone else claim that these firmware updates came from the US?

In point of fact, they don't all come from the USA.
Although they do all come from the same factory (Amazon's off-shore factory).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #43
geekmaster

There is now a simple reliable universal jailbreak for all the kindles using this firmware downgrade method. Please link to the posts instead of the attachments (which are likely to change without notice).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
This is a factory image specific tool to install the jailbreak/developer key into /etc/uks. In theory, this should be generic to all current Kindle factory images.
Note that this isn't needed for older devices such as the PW2. I believe those can be jailbroken using older techniques on the factory firmwares.
Verified working. ... Please update the other guides to include this as a slightly easier, potentially safer method instead of 5.6.5 upgrade/old JB.
To "hack all the kindles", the step-by-step guide (universal downgrade and universal jailbreak) is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-05-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:13 AM   #44
T1t0
T1t0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 7th Generation
Quote:
[*]Follow the instructions on that page. Do not allow your Kindle to turn on Airplane mode.
Do you mean "Do not allow your Kindle to turn off Airplane mode."?
T1t0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:36 AM   #45
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1t0 View Post
Do you mean "Do not allow your Kindle to turn off Airplane mode."?
He is a self-proclaimed "user experience" expert. We should not question him with picky technical details like that when only the "eye candy" is important. Us nerds have this abnormal problem of preferring technical accuracy over user "feelings" about documentation. Recent thread posts by the OP make that obvious.