Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-24-2015, 04:28 PM   #61
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I went to the Apple Store last week and checked out the iPad Pro briefly. The best part was the Apple Pencil. It was nice and long and easy to hold, and worked well.

The iPad Pro itself was OK, but I noticed that the backlight was quick to fade as you tilt the screen. Anything other that straight-on viewing had a noticeable dimming of the backlight which I found disappointing at this price point. Perhaps an AMOLED screen would be different, but I've never seen one so I don't know. Also the screen just wasn't quite as bright as I had expected. (I checked to make sure the screen brightness was at full in the settings).

I haven't used iOS much. Is there no hardware "back" button like on Android devices? There is only the "home" button? I couldn't figure out how to go "back" to the previous thing in some apps that didn't provide a software back button. I'm not sure I'm sold on iOS.

Last edited by toronado; 11-24-2015 at 04:30 PM.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #62
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's an expensicve device, no doubt about it, and I think the "Pro" tag on it is perhaps an indication that it's not really being targeted at the home market.
If price alone is sufficient indication, then yes, the iPad is targeted at some kind of “pro” market (the Pro market of people watching Netflix and skimming through Keynote presentations while on their “pro”-flights)...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #63
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
I haven't used iOS much. Is there no hardware "back" button like on Android devices? There is only the "home" button? I couldn't figure out how to go "back" to the previous thing in some apps that didn't provide a software back button. I'm not sure I'm sold on iOS.
No hardware back button. Basically there is only the home button, although some actions can be triggered by using the on/off button in combination with the home button. And there is a switch on the side you can use to turn either rotation or sound on or off.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #64
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
If price alone is sufficient indication, then yes, the iPad is targeted at some kind of “pro” market (the Pro market of people watching Netflix and skimming through Keynote presentations while on their “pro”-flights)...
"Prosumer" - which, after I looked the word up, discovered it meant something other than what I originally thought it meant: a professional consumer LOL.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:56 PM   #65
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
There was a whole page of games on the demo iPad in the store. Also a folder called "office" or some such that seemed to contain all the Microsoft apps (Excel, Word...).
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2015, 01:05 AM   #66
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
There was a whole page of games on the demo iPad in the store. Also a folder called "office" or some such that seemed to contain all the Microsoft apps (Excel, Word...).
Microsoft announced support at the original presentation for the Pro. Probably not much work for them anyway having already ported a form of office to the RT.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #67
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Microsoft announced support at the original presentation for the Pro. Probably not much work for them anyway having already ported a form of office to the RT.

Dale
MS Office has been available on iOS for quite some time now... I guess they just got paid to announce on stage that yes, it will also be available on the iPad Pro...
In fact, there are great productivity apps for all sorts of purposes available. Unfortunately, none of this changes the fact that it is just a large iPad and in its current state can, by design, only be used unefficiently for all sorts of Office tasks (attaching any kind of Bluetooth keyboard to the iPad Air gives you exactly the same kind of experience, only on a smaller screen).
Apple has yet to figure out how to prevent having to lift your arm from the keyboard even for minor adjustments and overall navigation of the device if they do not want to implement a trackpad in the keyboard...
I for one hope that they deliver a really efficient and flawless handwriting recognition so that I could use an iPad as a modern notebook replacement because it will give me digital searchable text that can be copied and edited (on the home computer). So far, all I can do is emulate the process of writing on paper, and even if it looks better than a couple of years ago, it still is a sub-par experience in every respect: one still hasto retype notes, they are not searchable, there is no system wide system in place (to replace the keyboard popup).
iOS, if it is actually supposed to be a real alternative to working on a laptop, needs to improve considerable to justify the device prices. Merely doing some things a little better than Android does not make it a great system, especially considering that it does some things (like file management) considerably worse.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #68
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Yes but the one for the Pro requires a separate license so it may have different features. The license has all sorts of fine print.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The biggest problem for me is that iPad keyboards (the ones I've seen at least) don't have cursor keys. It's maddening to have to tap the screen every time you want to move the cursor, which is a frequent operation when working on a word processing document or a spreadsheet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #70
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
The biggest problem for me is that iPad keyboards (the ones I've seen at least) don't have cursor keys. It's maddening to have to tap the screen every time you want to move the cursor, which is a frequent operation when working on a word processing document or a spreadsheet.
In iOS 9.1 when I put my iPhone 6s in landscape position, the keyboard does include left and right cursor keys. No such thing on my iPad Air (or on my older iPhone 5s)--also running iOS 9. I have no idea why they added them to the 6s keyboard and not the others. For some reason, they also reversed the position of the numbers and emoji/alternate keyboard keys which is frustrating. When I have my phone in landscape mode now I frequently hit the wrong button.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #71
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I ended up getting the iPad Pro, no available pencils, and still enjoy it. I'm looking for software to make it productive, been waiting for 5 years. Things like PDF Expert except I cant get smb to connect to my PC even though FileBrowser works great. Or that GoodReader hasn't upgraded to take advantage of ios 9. Or that notes plus sucks at handwriting recognition even though it supposidly uses the same engine as Memo, which has wonderful handwriting recognition. I'm sure with time these issues will get smoothed out. Sooooo close. Btw, our library now uses Zinio to check out a small selection of magazines. A bit clunky, but it looks beautiful on the Pro.

Yeah, and I have no idea why arrow keys are sometimes avaible but usually not. My guess is programmers need to update this for each type of device.

Last edited by harriska2; 11-27-2015 at 10:03 AM.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #72
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur
iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I've had the pro now for a little over a week. I've gotten used to the size, and it's great. It did seem to have a few connection issues with wifi, but it all works fine now.

It's very light and thin. I have the Smart Cover. The keyboard and pencil were not available. It's a little difficult to use laying in my bed, but I'm getting used to it. The multi screens function works well. I like the full keyboard with the number on top row. Screen resolution is great.

Battery life is ok. It takes a while to charge.

Overall so far I have no complaints.
iluvgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:47 PM   #73
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
I use a Logitech Type+ with my Air2, and its Arrow keys work well to move cursors about, with most if not all WP apps I have or have used. I love it and its a really nice cover too, for the iPad. It does add some weight, but for the level of protection, I don't mind. I also had a Logitech Ultrathin for my iPad 3, and it worked just as well. I hate the software keyboards, and find a keyboard case an acceptable compromise where weight vs portability is concerned.

The current keyboard cover... just as an FYI... needs to be charged from a power outlet or computer... and I have, just 2 days ago, charged it up for the first time in 13 months. I call that excellent battery life

Logitech have designed one for the iPad pro which looks to me like it has an almost identical design, but adds backlit keys and of course the ability to smart charge from the Pro. When/If the time comes for me to get a Pro, I'll definitely be going Logitech.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #74
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I got the pencil yesterday and really like it. I have lots of software that supports it. Works great for placing the cursor in the middle of words. Hope it hold up. The cap falls off easily so i can imagine that getting lost. It's fun. Like a previous poster, the Pro took a bit of getting used to due to the larger size but I can't imagine going back. I did have to get a more padded carry bag as I feel like I can't just freehand carry anymore. I had a Timbuk2 messenger so I got a Timbuk2 Dashboard Laptop Messenger for $39.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:23 AM   #75
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:

Harry,

It you have updated your iPad to iOS 9 or later it does have a nifty feature "trackpad mode" where if you place two fingers on the keyboard it will dim out and then you now have control of the cursor. Pretty good when you get used to it.
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote