Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
One Sock
One Sock began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 not displaying books in a series correctly

I've been reading all the advice I can find on the internet about using Calibre plugboards to display books in a series in the correct order. I want, for example, the five books of the Leatherstocking Tales to display something like this:

Leatherstocking Tales [1] The Deerslayer
Leatherstocking Tales [2] The Last of the Mohicans
Leatherstocking Tales [3] Pathfinder
Leatherstocking Tales [4] The Pioneers
Leatherstocking Tales [5] The Prairie

Despite my best efforts, Kindle is displaying it like this:

Leatherstocking Tales [2] The Last of the Mohicans
The Prairie
The Deerslayer
The Pioneers
Pathfinder

I can't figure out why it's showing series data for Mohicans, but not for any of the others. And of course the order is all wrong. But it displays correctly in Calibre.
One Sock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I add mine into Collections by Author then go into collections change to By recent then add them Last to 1st in series. IF they are already in collections I change to recent then open close each in order again last to 1st. In 2.5 yrs these are the only ways I found to get them into order.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I don't use the plugboard. Alternatively, In order to display the series/reading order on your Kindle, you can edit the title to include the info. In your example, I'd edit titles to add numbers as follows:
1. Deerslayer
2. Last of the Mohicans
etc.

Last edited by jscarbo; 11-27-2013 at 01:16 PM.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Sock View Post
I can't figure out why it's showing series data for Mohicans, but not for any of the others. And of course the order is all wrong. But it displays correctly in Calibre.
Are you, by any chance, generating a "combined" Mobi file containing both a Mobi and a KF8 book? Plugboards don't work for such files. Convert to either Mobi only or AZW3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscarbo View Post
In order to display the series/reading order on your Kindle, you have to edit the title to include the info.
That's what the Plugboard does for you, automatically.
Advert
Old 11-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I've never used the plugboard and didn't know it did that. Editing the titles works fine for me so I doubt I'll change. I've edited my original post to avoid misleading anyone.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I bet the problem is what Harry pointed to... I had a plugboard step for azw3 files, but some of the files is sent to my Kindle were mobi. Took me awhile to realize that I was sending mobi files. inadvertently--in my case calibre's default was set to transfer mobis first. After I figured that out and set Calibre to choose azw3 as the transfer format first-- everything worked as expected.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
Hunter13
Hunter13 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle k4b
Smile Leatherstock series

Hi - Retitle your books with calibre: something like this:

Authors initials. Leatherstock 01. Title. Author name.
Authors initials. Leatherstock 02. Title. Author name
etc.

List by title. If you put all books authors initials before the title they will all end up in the same place - perhaps, given that it is a kindle.
Hunter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, no, no.

The Plugboard does this for you automatically. How many times do I need to say this?
Old 11-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Harry is 100% right. Learn How to use Calibre's plugboards! You can set them up to automatically add the series and position information when transferring to your Kindle--as long as you have that information in the Calibre's metadata for your book. I would prefer using collections like on my Sony readers, but since for whatever reason, Calibre is unable to transfer series as collections automatically to the Kindles, I find using plugboards an acceptable and easy alternative.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Harry's right (as usual ), use the Calibre plugboard. Once set up, it does exactly what you are trying to do automatically. Besides, if you change your mind on the format you just change the plugboard and don't have to adjust the metadata on all of your series books.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote