Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 02:17 AM   #16
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
@JSWolf : yup, it's good, I had yet to see an error with koreader. The algo for hyph in ADE tends to consider all the french non-breaking spaces as "in the word" and generates some errors even with a good hyph dic like difference- / ? or blablah- /*».

Koreader has not this problem but doesn't consider non-breaking space at all. And since non-breaking spaces are of little use (or no use ?) in english, the problem tend to be non-existent in this language. (it's the main raison I use 'hyphenate this' and set adobe-hyphenate:explicit; to bypass totally the algo in ADE.

In ADE, there is still a bug when a word with double 't' or 'f' (like 'dif-ference') is cut at the end of a page : the letter is double again on the next page, thus making it triple (dif-// fference).

From my point of view, for the french, if koreader could deal with non-breaking spaces, it will be perfect for french epubs.

@Frenzie : yup : the standards say that soft hyphen have to be ignore in search. But the search in nickel are not broken, it finds it each time, only says 'i didn't find difference, the word must be 'difference' following the definition.

@Ken : In french it's just a pain cause they use nbsp before all punctuation and the quotes are too big to be glue to the word. A 'solution' I won't apply would be to transform all the quotes and double-quotes to english one urgh.
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #17
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
@cramoisi Which standards are you referring to?
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #18
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
@cramoisy; Is that using "French_hyphen_(Alan).pdb" in KOReader?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:44 AM   #19
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post

Luck;
Ken
Hi ken,
Yes !

@Frenzie : I thought I read something about it last year but can't find it anymore. All I can find now is papers stating how bothering are soft hyphen...

There is a mention here :
https://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#h-9.3.3

Quote:
In HTML, there are two types of hyphens: the plain hyphen and the soft hyphen. The plain hyphen should be interpreted by a user agent as just another character. The soft hyphen tells the user agent where a line break can occur.

Those browsers that interpret soft hyphens must observe the following semantics: If a line is broken at a soft hyphen, a hyphen character must be displayed at the end of the first line. If a line is not broken at a soft hyphen, the user agent must not display a hyphen character. For operations such as searching and sorting, the soft hyphen should always be ignored.

Last edited by cramoisi; 04-23-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #20
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

According to Wikipedia, it's been defined the same way in Unicode since version 4. That's probably why the HTML5 spec doesn't seem to contain anything on hyphenation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_h...nd_definitions

I like one of the supporting arguments for this change:
http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2002/02279-muller.htm
Quote:
While limited, those changes may be more than we can tolerate. Clearly, they affect the semantic of existing documents. It may be useful to observe that implementations vary widely today, and that therefore there may be little to break anyway.
Anyhow, since it's clearly not a matter of interpretation then.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:57 AM   #21
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post

Luck;
Ken
The hyphenation option file (with several languages available) was quite good. It seems that someone thrashed it or moved it somewhere. Unless I make a mistake, it seems we lost this possibility.

It gave quite decent hyphenation (at least for French) and I really miss it because from time to time surface some strange hyph mistakes.

Could it be reinstalled or put in its former place?
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:39 AM   #22
cramoisi
Librarian

I got stranges hyphenation from French_hyphen_(Alan).pdb when police size is "too big" which is an issue in itself. But that's not happening with default size (only 2 with two steps greater).

I was thinking to transform hyph_fr.dic from libreoffice into a .pattern file (which seems to be the same only with xml tags. will it works ?
Old 05-03-2017, 05:30 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've posted a better French hyphenation dictionary that works with ePub and Kepub. Have a go with it and see what you think.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=2995414
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:06 AM   #24
cramoisi
Librarian

yup, but i need a koreader-compatible one and .dic are not (I tried yesterday). I wanted to transform yours, in fact.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:05 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramoisi View Post
yup, but i need a koreader-compatible one and .dic are not (I tried yesterday). I wanted to transform yours, in fact.
I would like to know if the French dictionary works properly with ePub. So please give it some testing. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:57 AM   #26
Frenzie
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
The hyphenation option file (with several languages available) was quite good. It seems that someone thrashed it or moved it somewhere. Unless I make a mistake, it seems we lost this possibility.

It gave quite decent hyphenation (at least for French) and I really miss it because from time to time surface some strange hyph mistakes.

Could it be reinstalled or put in its former place?
What's a hyphenation option file?
Old 05-05-2017, 01:25 AM   #27
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
Could not tell you. What I sure remember is that we were offered with Koreader a menu option (a menu item ) in the drop down settings menu, named Hyphen or Hyphenation.
Selecting this option, you could see appear some languages (seven or height about that), among them one for the French (Alan). You were also free to select "No hyphenation".

If you selected French, this referred to some hyphenation file within Koreader which gave the settings or the rules to apply for hyphenation in this language.

This possibility seems to have been silently squashed and I really miss it.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:11 AM   #28
cramoisi
Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Could not tell you. What I sure remember is that we were offered with Koreader a menu option (a menu item ) in the drop down settings menu, named Hyphen or Hyphenation.
Selecting this option, you could see appear some languages (seven or height about that), among them one for the French (Alan). You were also free to select "No hyphenation".

If you selected French, this referred to some hyphenation file within Koreader which gave the settings or the rules to apply for hyphenation in this language.

This possibility seems to have been silently squashed and I really miss it.
Maybe I didn't understand the issue, but in the latest nightly I still got the dropdown menu when inside a book : 2nd tab, 6th option "hyphenation" and after that : none, algorithm, and all languages with french among them. I don't remember it was removed...

@Frenzie : if I create a dot pattern file for french hyphenation based on a TeX file and if I add it into languages.json, will it be functional ?

Last edited by cramoisi; 05-05-2017 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #29
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
I remember seeing those in the hyph listing, but they don't appear there anymore. There are ".pattern" files for some of the languages. The Greek one I looked at included a description of its generation.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-05-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #30
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramoisi View Post
Maybe I didn't understand the issue, but in the latest nightly I still got the dropdown menu when inside a book : 2nd tab, 6th option "hyphenation" and after that : none, algorithm, and all languages with french among them. I don't remember it was removed...
My mistake. Yes. It's still here when reading an EPUB. (v2015.11-1023-g773e24f)

I had "lost" it because my last ten books were all PDF and it does not appear for them (useless).

Sorry for this confusion. In French hyphenation is "Césure".

Last edited by roger64; 05-05-2017 at 10:50 AM.