Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #12931
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Thanks for the post. Sadly, a few of your recs are ebook and/or Kindle only.
Well.... He does own a Kindle and this is MobileRead.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #12932
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
OK, folks, my TBR does NOT need all this. OTOH, the omnibus is available as an Amazon Prime lending. But really, that saves me money, but does nothing for shortening my TBR.
Yabut... The stories are basically short stories/novellas. Each one a story unto itself. Think of them as little snacks between your full course meals.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #12933
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just finished The Gods Themselves. Great book!

Now I'm starting Speed Dating with the Dead by Scott Nicholson. This one I'll review on my site. Actually I understand Scott is no longer fully indie as I believe he's been signed by Thomas & Mercer, one of the Amazon publishing in-prints. However, this book was certainly produced while he was indie so I think it still qualifies for my site. This kind of delineation is going to become pretty complicated soon.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:32 AM   #12934
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'm having a very hard time putting down Kenneth Robert's "The Lively Lady!" I read it as a teen and am enjoying it just as much as a senior citizen! It really is a page turner!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #12935
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Yabut... The stories are basically short stories/novellas. Each one a story unto itself. Think of them as little snacks between your full course meals.
True, but I still don't really need more to read right now. This year I was really hoping to read more and buy less, with a definite goal to get my TBR down to something more manageable. OTOH, I'm definitely looking for good choices that I can use the Amazon Prime lending feature for, so this seems like a good fit there. IAC, I've put the Omnibus on my Amazon Prime wishlist and I may well borrow it for May, since nothing on that list right now sounds better. And you're right, it's nice to have little "snacks" available when one doesn't want to start a full book.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #12936
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Just finished reading Blue Remembered Earth (reviewed here) by Alastair Reynolds and I loved it. It's got some amazing ideas and a very good extrapolation of what the near-future might be like. If you like scifi about human space exploration this might be worth a look.

Last edited by Crusader; 04-15-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #12937
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I don't believe that O Jerusalem was the one I was warned about that would drift off into lengthy descriptions of Jewish mysticism. I just finished it and it was just great! I'm now starting to read the 6th in the series, Justice Hall.
I'm done reading Justice Hall. I enjoyed it a whole lot. It seems that since the slight downward slippage of the 3rd book, A letter of Mary, each book since seem to be a bit better than the previous one. This afternoon/evening I'll be beginning to read book 7, The Game.

Last edited by alansplace; 04-15-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: replace a word
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #12938
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Add one more who was duly impressed. Eagerly awaiting his next book... later this month (week), I believe.
Today... First Shift - Legacy (Part 6 of the Silo Series) (Wool)

http://www.amazon.com/First-Shift-Le.../dp/B007UAUPZS
Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #12939
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just finished reading Friday's Child, by Georgette Heyer. Bought last year when there was a big sale on Heyer eBooks. I bought just about every one I could and I've been parsing them out slowly to make them last.

Friday's Child starts out with the Viscount being rejected by the Beauty, and vowing to "marry the next woman I see". The plot takes even more than the usual level of twists and turns, and ends up where all Heyer's end up -- with all the good people happy and any villans vanquished. In between it's a funny, often ridiculous, and delightfully well written story. Definitely one of her better ones.

Highly recommended. 5 out of 5.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #12940
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Today... First Shift - Legacy (Part 6 of the Silo Series) (Wool)

http://www.amazon.com/First-Shift-Le.../dp/B007UAUPZS
Wow! We seem to have blown right past "3, 2, 1" on his countdown page, I see (not that I'm complaining at all).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #12941
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'm reading Mockingjay now, I'm not liking it as much as the first two but it's not bad.

And I just saw The Hunger Games in theatre, great movie.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #12942
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Currently Reading:

- Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes by David B. Beckwith (59%)

- Skeleton Crew by Stephen King (35%)

- Moby-Dick, or The Whale by Herman Melville (15%)

- The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (10%)

I read the free preview of The Rook tonight and got so sucked in that when I finished it I immediately had to buy the book so I could keep reading. It's like the Bourne Identity meets Memento but with superpowers and I love it.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #12943
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Just finished reading Barnburner, by Sharon Lee (co-author of the Liaden series). This is the first of two mysteries set in the fictional town of Whimsy, Maine in the late 1980's. The protagonist is Jen Pierce, a reporter on the local newspaper.

These are short reads (~180 pages), but like everything Ms. Lee writes it is well crafted and well written. The computer/BBS stuff is true to its era, but obviously dated by today's technology, and small town, independent, newspapers like this are certainly rare today, but overall the book is an excellent read and I'm looking forward to the second one, Gunshy. Definitely recommended.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #12944
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Fortress of Eagles by C. J. Cherryh
A good start on a continuation, but definitely just part of a series rather than another almost stand-alone book.

But I like the story and characters enough to go straight on to the next one:

Fortress of Owls by C. J. Cherryh
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #12945
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I just finished a recent freebie, Promise Me This by Cathy Gohlke.
Spoiler:
from amazon:
"This dramatic and heart-wrenching interpretation by two-time Christy Award winner Gohlke (William Henry Is a Fine Name; I Have Seen Him in the Watchfires) will enthrall fans of character-driven CF and readers who enjoy Francine Rivers."--Library Journal

Taking a break from work to watch the Titanic set sail on its maiden voyage, Michael Dunnagan meets passenger Owen Allen and decides to stow away in hopes of convincing Owen to let him join his uncle’s business in America. But the so-called unsinkable ship strikes an iceberg, and a dying Owen extracts a promise from Michael that he will care for Owen’s relatives in America and his sister Annie, still in England. Annie can’t bear the thought that Michael lived when her brother was lost, but the two develop a friendship through the letters they exchange. When World War I breaks out and Annie’s letters stop, Michael drops everything to find the woman he has come to love. VERDICT No matter how many times the Titanic’s sinking has been depicted in film and in print, the 1912 maritime tragedy continues to fascinate us. This dramatic and heart-wrenching interpretation by two-time Christy Award winner Gohlke (William Henry Is a Fine Name; I Have Seen Him in the Watchfires) will enthrall fans of character-driven CF and readers who enjoy Francine Rivers. (Library Journal )

One afternoon, young Michael Dunnagan steals away from his job to see the Titanic off. Through a sudden turn of events, he meets Owen Allen, a young man off to America to help his uncle in a gardening business. After a series of deceptions, Michael, who is not supposed to be on the ship, boards the Titanic, hoping to follow Owen to America and join him in this new business venture. Owen has left behind his sister, Annie, promising her that he will call for her once he is settled in America. When the Titanic sinks, Owen dies and asks Michael to take care of his sister. Annie and Michael begin a correspondence that at first is friendly, but soon turns romantic. When WWI intervenes, it appears that the two may have lost each other because of various circumstances on both sides of the Atlantic, but love and grace prevail in the end. Two-time Christy Award winner Gohlke tells a gripping tale of sacrifice, loss, love, and hope against the setting of familiar historical events; the loss of the Titanic marks its centennial in 2012. (Publishers Weekly )

It was definitely Christian based, but I found I enjoyed the twists and turns in the character's lives as the story continued. I was surprised I liked this one, as I had only picked it to read because I had been reading various Titanic related stories.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote