Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
dontpanic
Edge User

Replacement of Pocket eDGe Battery

There have been some questions from purchasers of the Pocket eDGe as to whether the battery was user replaceable. The enTourage Pocket eDGe battery is non-user replaceable at this time. This is a design decision that many mobile device manufacturers make today as a means of increasing product quality and reducing the weight of the product. The battery in the product is a very advanced design and should last more than four years before performance begins to degrade. At that point, the Pocket eDGe may be returned to enTourage systems to have the battery replaced for $85, not including shipping. There should be no concern about the need to replace the battery on the Pocket eDGe.

Thanks,

Tom Conklin

Old 11-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
Bee
Edge User

Thanks so much for this update! The very second that the pocket Edge was introduced at HSN, I bought one. I was hoping and praying that it was a good business decision to increase and expand my landscape business. Before mine arrived, the reviews at HSN were so horrible for this product that if I could have canceled my order, I would have! Over and over again, people were returning them because of the "non-replaceable battery issue". I don't care that I have to send the unit in to have a techie replace the battery; I just want to make sure that after I learn to enjoy the pocket Edge, that it won't be in a landfill 4 years from now if the battery was utterly non-replaceable.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
user452
Edge User

Thanks for the clarification.

Ever since I first bought a travel laptop in 2004, battery life and the ability to a spare batteries on hand has been a major factor for me.
This was pre-netbook times, and the guy I bought the laptop from looked at me like I was crazy for describing what I wanted, which was essentially a netbook.
He couldn't fathom why someone would want a spare laptop battery, or why you would ever want a battery that lasted longer than 2 hours!

Anyway, the pocket edge is perfect! Apart from not being able to carry a spare battery.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
STL Droid
Edge User

With the present situation and knowing that the battery is made by the below company, is there anyone from Enrourage that can provide contact information to the battery manufacturer? I know that opening the device will invalidate warranty, but under the present circumstances, well...

I just would like to know if there is an option for hardware savvy people to replace the battery and how we could get one from Taiwan if so. I loev the device and would like to continue using it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131498

Found this by googling the battery number 100-9600003-00

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...666&sequence=1

GETAC TECHNOLOGY CORP E220104
5TH FL BLDG A 209
SEC 1 NANGANG RD
NANGANG DIST
TAIPEI, 115 TAIWAN

Old 05-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
nniesen
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
The battery in the product is a very advanced design and should last more than four years before performance begins to degrade. At that point, the Pocket eDGe may be returned to enTourage systems to have the battery replaced for $85, not including shipping. There should be no concern about the need to replace the battery on the Pocket eDGe.
This concerns me.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
emusan
Edge User

I'm guessing that, given the recent news, this offer is no longer available. I was wondering if you could perhaps sell the batteries at a reduced price, for users to replace themselves if they are able... I'm sure you must have some stock left somewhere that you want to get rid of.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
I'm guessing that, given the recent news, this offer is no longer available. I was wondering if you could perhaps sell the batteries at a reduced price, for users to replace themselves if they are able... I'm sure you must have some stock left somewhere that you want to get rid of.
Nobody at enTourage is reading these forums any more.

You have a good question, so you should contact enTourage directly (www.entourageedge.com).

Old 05-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
netrobot
Edge User

By the time my Pocket Edge battery makes the unit effectively WALL-TETHERED, I'll have purchased a tablet that is FAR SUPERIOR in every way, and I'll happily retire my eDGe to a "kiosk" function, like bedside clock/radio/browser/reader, or a photo frame, or webcam monitor. Really people! Tablets have only JUST STARTED. In a two years, you'll look at the eDGe the way you look at DOS today.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
Filark
Edge User

I kinda like the "padphone" concept Asus just came out with.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
emusan
Edge User

just to note, it may be possible to replace the batteries at a future date, two of these for example, if wired correctly, could give off the same voltage and have the same mAh rating(therefore the same power rating as well), I don't know if the charging circuitry is compatible, which could lead to explosions lol, but it may be worth a try if the batteries completely fail(I'll probably do it at that time, and if there is still a community I'll be sure to report results!).

Old 05-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #11
Filark
Edge User

I like the "bedside clock/radio/browser/reader" concept, netrobot! I kept an iPaq PDA alive for years in that capacity, without the browser/reader function of course.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
emusan
Edge User

you could also set it up as a music server if you have a sufficiently large SD card, its completely silent and low power!

Old 06-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #13
netrobot
Edge User

Yes, but it'd need better speakers.

The point was, we shouldn't get too hung up on our Entourage units, no matter how great they are. It's a dynamic market, which means sometimes good things don't catch on, but you also get MORE things to choose from. I'm confident we'll all see the tablet market expand in a lot of directions in the next eighteen months, so stay tuned.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
emusan
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrobot View Post
Yes, but it'd need better speakers.

The point was, we shouldn't get too hung up on our Entourage units, no matter how great they are. It's a dynamic market, which means sometimes good things don't catch on, but you also get MORE things to choose from. I'm confident we'll all see the tablet market expand in a lot of directions in the next eighteen months, so stay tuned.
by server I mean it would send music out to other things in your house... It would just hide somewhere plugged into the wall.