Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #31
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
What use is indexing? Is there a way to turn it off?
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Indexing is what allows the Kindle to quickly search books, or even your entire library. I am not aware of any way to turn it off. May I ask why you'd want to do so?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #33
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
What Harry said. Sometimes I need to search for a phrase in a book, or on the home page, see if I already put a particular title on my Kindle. If I search for "Oliver Twist" and don't see it there, then I will download it.

Everytime I sideload a new book on my Kindle, I plug it in for about ten minutes and it seems to hasten the indexing.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #34
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've never used search so for me the indexing feature is wasted space and computing use. I've over a thousand books on my kindle but only 11 pages on my home screen organized into collections. It makes it easy enough to find the book I want. Given a choice between having an index and having hierological collections I would much prefer the second. Not being given a choice I still have no use for the index and would as soon get rid of it. I've occasionally while trying to jump to a page of my home screen had the kindle start to do a search for "10" instead of going to page 10. There doesn't seem a way to say stop I don't want to search that. You just have to wait. Annoying.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:50 PM   #35
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
I've never used search so for me the indexing feature is wasted space and computing use. I've over a thousand books on my kindle but only 11 pages on my home screen organized into collections. It makes it easy enough to find the book I want. Given a choice between having an index and having hierological collections I would much prefer the second. Not being given a choice I still have no use for the index and would as soon get rid of it. I've occasionally while trying to jump to a page of my home screen had the kindle start to do a search for "10" instead of going to page 10. There doesn't seem a way to say stop I don't want to search that. You just have to wait. Annoying.
It does that if there isn't a page 10.

Forcing a restart with the power switch can be faster than waiting for the search to complete.

The kindle developers subforum may have a hack for noindexing
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #36
reinsley
Connoisseur
reinsley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I plug it in for about ten minutes and it seems to hasten the indexing.
I noticed that switch off ( 6 sec push) the KPPW stops the indexing.
The indexing is runnning while KPPW displays a screensaver.
reinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:20 AM   #37
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Is your storage maxed out?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:52 AM   #38
reinsley
Connoisseur
reinsley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Is your storage maxed out?
Is your question directed to me ?
reinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #39
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
sometimes rebooting the device works for me. I seem to have issues with downloading audible and I have to do this
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:32 PM   #40
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Just to show this is an evergreen topic: I reset my PW3 and restored the 900 books I had on it two weeks ago. Just searched for a name and found the current book was unindexed.
Did an "xzxzxzxz" search and found that 484 books still unindexed. And battery was at 12%, so seems it had (sensibly) decided not to to spend any power on indexing. Plugged it in to a power socket (not PC) and now it's indexing at 1-2 books per minute, (asleep or awake), should be done by tonight.

Last edited by AlanHK; 02-24-2022 at 06:35 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote