Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-14-2023, 08:41 PM   #1
Ken_Moorhead
Ken_Moorhead began at the beginning.

Device: Apple Books
Apple Book and .plists

Hello;

I have this working, but I am curious why it works and why it is needed.

I have an epub2 I made, and works fine in all the apps/devices I have so far tried.

But Apple Books gave me some fits; just a few!
  • If I dragged the book to (Apple) Books on my Mac it worked.
  • If I synced my iPhone and iPad with that same Mac it worked.
  • If I emailed it to either device the formatting fell to pieces in the Books app and all svg wrapped images failed to load.

But...
  • If I exported it from Books on my Mac and emailed the resulting ePub it worked in the Books app as expected.

That was a desperation move since emailing it worked for all other apps. So I used Calibre to explore what difference was. Lo and behold I found this:
  • iTunesMetadata.plist
  • iTunesMetadata-original.plist

Neither file seems to have any rending instructions in it. Indeed, the seem to contain hashes of some sort and a bit of meta-data. But without them the epubs lose all formatting except the base font -- they look a mess.

Can anyone explain to me why?

Does it have anything to do with com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml being in place?

All in all, it's easy enough to fix, but it is really annoying and a bit obscure. So, any insight would be appreciated.

TIA;
Ken
Ken_Moorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 04:31 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Does it pass epubcheck?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2023, 09:02 AM   #3
Ken_Moorhead

I haven't tired yet. All know is it worked for my iPhone and my wife's iPhone and struck me as really really odd.

I strongly suspect it is a bug in Apple Books, which if the threads I have read are accurate, is prone to such oddities.
Old 06-15-2023, 09:06 AM   #4
Ken_Moorhead

I've downloaded one of them, I haven't tried it yet. All I know is it works with my wife's iPhone as well as mine.

I strongly suspect this is a bug in Apple Books. The web is full of accounts of the odd things it will sometimes do.

That said, I was just curious if anyone had vaguest idea what Apple thought it was doing here so I know for next time. Still learning after all!