Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-01-2022, 06:30 PM   #1
elphie
elphie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, IPad 8th Gen
iBooks/iCloud history and offline query

Anyone know if there is a way to switch off iCloud but still keep your iBooks reading history? Or a way to keep your books on iPad as well as iCloud?

Started using iBooks on iPad (8th Gen) just over a year ago, downloading (or so I thought) my books via Calibre where I keep my library (previously a kindle user).

Now I’ve realised they are actually in iCloud and when wifi is switched off, they are unavailable. (It seems strange I’ve not noticed this in over a year and suspect a change somewhere since latest IOS update…).

I have to manually press every book cover (hundreds) to get them back (I can’t seem to see an easier way?). If I switch off iCloud as well as losing all books I lose my reading history. I can download books again from Calibre but would prefer to keep history. It’s actually the reason I just stayed with iBooks.

Am I missing something obvious - it seems crazy books aren’t available offline?

Thanks
elphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 01:15 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Please explain what you mean by ‘downloading my books via Calibre’.

If I can assume calibre is running on a Mac, then the easiest way to make them available in Books is to simply open them using the Books app for Mac. If iCloud is enabled for Books, then they will upload to iCloud. But they won’t automatically download to your iPad: you need to tap on the ones with the ‘cloud’ icon on them when connected to the internet to download them.

(There is an option in Settings for Books app to ‘Automatically download purchases’, but as you are not purchasing these, I think that may not work with these books as they are not purchased from Apple. But I’ve never actually tried it.)

Once you download them to the iPad they’ll stay there until you Remove them.

You can also connect iPad to the Mac with USB cable, find the Books storage and drag epub/PDF to there.

You can also transfer them wirelessly using AirDrop, but you need a WiFi network connecting both Mac and iPad for that to work (do you have one?).

Last edited by tomsem; 04-02-2022 at 01:41 AM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2022, 05:42 AM   #3
elphie
elphie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, IPad 8th Gen
I download over wifi using the Calibre Companion app. The books sit within this app on my iPad but I choose to use iBooks from within there to read them.

I had thought they would always remain in ibooks once opened in there but now when I am out of Wi-Fi range the books within iBooks lose their covers and the cloud symbol returns against them. Once Wi-Fi is restored I have to tap everyone to make them available in iBooks again.

I am almost certain this was not an issue until updating IOS to 15.3?
elphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:29 AM   #4
ganaisaiah
ganaisaiah began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Apologies for bringing up an old thread, but I'm also facing a similar issue with iBooks and iCloud. It's frustrating when our books become unavailable offline, especially when we're in Wi-Fi dead zones. I can understand how important it is to keep your reading history intact.
I've been doing some online research and came across a potential solution that might help. Have you heard of the Unlock iPhone Free service? It's a website that offers unlocking services for iPhones, and it might have some useful information or tools that could assist you in resolving this iCloud and iBooks dilemma.
By the way, I've been using the Calibre Companion app too, and I love how it helps manage my library. It's just a shame that the books in iBooks lose their covers and become cloud symbols when offline.
ganaisaiah is offline   Reply With Quote