Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2017, 10:13 PM   #2641
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannaraygun View Post
I apologize if this has been covered here before but I searched quite a lot and could not find it.

I tried to jailbreak my Kindle Touch 4 Gen 2011 last night and I missed an step so I had to start over. The first & second times the 'Update Your Kindle' button worked fine but on the third try, it went gray.

Now I went though the steps listed in the FAQ section and removed any .bin file. It didn't work. So after checking about a dozen times, I decided to just reset my Kindle. That hasn't worked either, it's still grey.

I'm not sure what it could be doing now because I know there isn't anything extra in the root. Maybe this jailbreak isn't compatible with my Kindle but I thought it would be running 5.3.7.

If anyone has some insights, I would appreciate them greatly.
Your description of your Kindle model is contradictory.

But you and we need to know your Kindle model.
Look on the "Device Info" panel in the "Settings" section on your Kindle.

Make note of the first four characters of the serial number, and look up the nickname we use for your model in this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Also on the same "Device Info" panel, make a note of what firmware version it is currently running.

Include both pieces of information in your next post please.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:20 PM   #2642
hannaraygun
hannaraygun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 4 Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your description of your Kindle model is contradictory.

But you and we need to know your Kindle model.
Look on the "Device Info" panel in the "Settings" section on your Kindle.

Make note of the first four characters of the serial number, and look up the nickname we use for your model in this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Also on the same "Device Info" panel, make a note of what firmware version it is currently running.

Include both pieces of information in your next post please.
Sorry about that, that's all it had on Amazon. Mine is B011 so the nicknames are K5, KT, or K5W. The FW says 5.3.7.3 (27 15280002)
hannaraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:49 AM   #2643
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry about that, that's all it had on Amazon. Mine is B011 so the nicknames are K5, KT, or K5W. The FW says 5.3.7.3 (27 15280002)
Ah, but we are not Amazon and we would probably be in trouble if we even pretended to be Amazon.

This is the correct thread for your model and firmware version.
Just carefully follow the directions in the first post of this thread about installing the jailbreak.
Be sure to look inside of the spoilers, they also have information you might need.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #2644
hannaraygun
hannaraygun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 4 Gen
Quote:
Ah, but we are not Amazon and we would probably be in trouble if we even pretended to be Amazon.

This is the correct thread for your model and firmware version.
Just carefully follow the directions in the first post of this thread about installing the jailbreak.
Be sure to look inside of the spoilers, they also have information you might need.
But I have carefully followed the directions. After I reset the whole thing, I went back and made sure I read everything twice. The button is still grey.
hannaraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:12 PM   #2645
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
But I have carefully followed the directions. After I reset the whole thing, I went back and made sure I read everything twice. The button is still grey.
Did you read the install spoiler?
Quote:
Download the attached kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N.zip file, and unpack it. In here, you'll find a few files.
Unzip the contents of the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip archive to the root directory of your Kindle.

Now, eject & unplug your Kindle, and go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. The updater won't actually ever run, this is normal. After a few seconds, the words **** JAILBREAK **** will appear at the bottom of your screen to confirm that the device is jailbroken . You won't see this message again, it's simply a confirmation message.

And that's it, your Kindle is now ready to install custom hacks!

Since v1.11.N: If you need to use something MKK-powered immediately, be aware that MKK will only be active on the next boot. Installing another package through the Update mechanism will do the trick, or you can manually trigger a device restart ([HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Restart).
I want you to do:
1) Download the attached kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N.zip file, and unpack it. In here, you'll find a few files.

2) Unzip the contents of the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip archive to the root directory of your Kindle.

3) Make a screenshot of the file manager's view of what you have installed at the highest visible level of USB storage BEFORE you remove the USB cable or try to use the UYK function.

4 Attach the screenshot image to your next post.
Not in-line, use the "manage attachments" section of the "advanced" editor.

Hint: Over a million people have done this and you don't see a million complaints.
So show us with the screenshot what you have done before trying to install the jb package.

Last edited by knc1; 09-24-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #2646
Kuram
Enthusiast
Kuram began at the beginning.

Device: PW1, KAO (current)
If I jailbreak in 5.3.3, how can I now update safely while keeping the jailbreak status? 5.3.3 doesn't seem to be too stable for me, it keeps acting up when I plug it into USB (constant page and backlight flickering).

edit: paperwhite 1st gen.

edit2: also looking to get the Bookerly font, where can I download it (assuming I need to install a font manager too?)
Kuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:41 PM   #2647
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuram View Post
If I jailbreak in 5.3.3, how can I now update safely while keeping the jailbreak status? 5.3.3 doesn't seem to be too stable for me, it keeps acting up when I plug it into USB (constant page and backlight flickering).

edit: paperwhite 1st gen.

edit2: also looking to get the Bookerly font, where can I download it (assuming I need to install a font manager too?)
1) The jb is viral, it will self re-install when you run an Amazon update package.
2) You already have your answer in the forum where you double posted.
Double posting is frowned on and against the site guidelines.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #2648
Kuram
Enthusiast
Kuram began at the beginning.

Device: PW1, KAO (current)
thanks.
Kuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:07 AM   #2649
rob00
rob00 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
FW 5.1.0 to 5.3.2.1 to 5.3.7.3 jailbreak how to...

Hi,

I inherited a Kindle Touch model D01200 WiFi, (S/N beginning with B011, so a K5, KT, or K5W) with firmware 5.0.3. Since I could not register it to my amazon account, I called Amazon tech support, and they told me that I needed to upgrade the FW manually, 1st to 5.1.0, then to 5.3.2.1, and then finally to 5.3.7.3 (the highest available for KT).

By mistake, I upgrade to FW 5.1.0 before I decided to jailbreak my KT. But I was able to jailbreak it from 5.1.0 anyways, following the instructions here.

1st question, is it true that I need to upgrade the FW to 5.3.7.3 in order to register the KT to my amazon account?

2nd question, any reason I should not upgrade the FW to 5.3.7.3?

3rd question, if I want to upgrade the FW to 5.3.2.1 and then again to 5.3.7.3, how would I go about jailbreaking? I already jailbraked under FW 5.1.0, so do I now upgrade manually to 5.3.2.1, jailbreak it again under 5.3.2.1, then upgrade FW to 5.3.7.3, and then finally jailbreak it again?

4th question, other than the **** JAILBREAK **** message, how can I tell if the jailbreak on my KT is still valid and working properlly? is there a way to tell if a kindle is jaillbroken?

5th question, what do I do next after the jailbreak, and in what order? Do I first USBNetwork, then do I install KUAL or Kindle GUI Launcher or MKK or MRPI? Do I install all of them, or are some redundant? Do I need Kindle Tool, or KUAL Extensions. All I want to do is install kindlets like the KOReader, Mangle, other usefull apps like battery level indicator and some games maybe. I will not be developing apps, or hacking. I don't even want to mess with screensavers or alternate fonts.

6th question, Do I need to disable OTA on my KT WiFi, so that Amazon does not upgrade my FW silently or without my knowledge? if so, how do I do that?

Is there anything else I need to be doing to enjoy my Kindle Touch with some advanced features?

Any suggestion and help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
rob00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #2650
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob00 View Post
Hi,

I inherited a Kindle Touch model D01200 WiFi, (S/N beginning with B011, so a K5, KT, or K5W) with firmware 5.0.3. Since I could not register it to my amazon account, I called Amazon tech support, and they told me that I needed to upgrade the FW manually, 1st to 5.1.0, then to 5.3.2.1, and then finally to 5.3.7.3 (the highest available for KT).

By mistake, I upgrade to FW 5.1.0 before I decided to jailbreak my KT. But I was able to jailbreak it from 5.1.0 anyways, following the instructions here.
Your asking about something older than yesterday - so I have to add up front a disclaimer: "My memory is not what it used to be."

Read all of the README*.* files included in the archive you downloaded.
Install the "bridge" package included.

Then:
Continue to follow Amazon's directions to update to the most recent firmware.
The "bridge" code should auto-install the jail break after each update.
Quote:
1st question, is it true that I need to upgrade the FW to 5.3.7.3 in order to register the KT to my amazon account?
Yes.
Only the most recent firmware for your model supports the modern Internet protocols now used by Amazon's network.
Quote:
2nd question, any reason I should not upgrade the FW to 5.3.7.3?
None.
And if there is something which I have forgotten about -
You still don't have any choice about doing the update, so do it.
Quote:
3rd question, if I want to upgrade the FW to 5.3.2.1 and then again to 5.3.7.3, how would I go about jailbreaking? I already jailbraked under FW 5.1.0, so do I now upgrade manually to 5.3.2.1, jailbreak it again under 5.3.2.1, then upgrade FW to 5.3.7.3, and then finally jailbreak it again?
See first answer.
Not to panic - there is always Kubrick.
Quote:
4th question, other than the **** JAILBREAK **** message, how can I tell if the jailbreak on my KT is still valid and working properlly? is there a way to tell if a kindle is jaillbroken?
If it is possible to install one of our add-ins that is packaged into a file with the name format of: update_*.bin (or any *.bin) then the device is jailbroken.
You can also find a dummy test package in NiLuJe's snapshot thread.
Quote:
5th question, what do I do next after the jailbreak, and in what order? Do I first USBNetwork, then do I install KUAL or Kindle GUI Launcher or MKK or MRPI? Do I install all of them, or are some redundant? Do I need Kindle Tool, or KUAL Extensions. All I want to do is install kindlets like the KOReader, Mangle, other usefull apps like battery level indicator and some games maybe. I will not be developing apps, or hacking. I don't even want to mess with screensavers or alternate fonts.
You will need KUAL
To run KUAL, you will need MKK
You **might** have to re-install MKK after any change in the device registration.
Using MrPI is optional with your model/firmware combination.
I don't recognize anything with the name of "Mangle"
The KUAL Extensions is a collection of useful things, you might want them but they are optional and not required to make anything else work.

You don't need KindleTool - that is the application that creates signed update_*.bin packages.
Quote:
6th question, Do I need to disable OTA on my KT WiFi, so that Amazon does not upgrade my FW silently or without my knowledge? if so, how do I do that?
Not a concern.
Amazon is no longer actively supporting the K5 (KT) model with firmware updates.
Their producing the last update was only so they did not lose store revenue by stopping older Kindles from connecting to the store.
So you will not be getting any more OTA updates (unless it is something that would negatively affect their revenue - I.E: Amazon still actively supports their income stream, but not the K5 model users.)
Quote:
Is there anything else I need to be doing to enjoy my Kindle Touch with some advanced features?
That is too subjective, only you can answer what it is that you "enjoy".
Quote:
Any suggestion and help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
KPVbooklet

Last edited by knc1; 10-19-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #2651
rob00

FW 5.1.0 to 5.3.2.1 to 5.3.7.3 jailbreak how to...

Thank you for your reply. I wasn't sure if anyone still checked this thread, but I am so glad you did.

I guess I wan't understanding how the whole thing worked. I read several readme.txt files, but each was specific to their topic, and not one of them gave the overall big picture in a clear way and how each piece fit in relation to each other.

So, if I understood correctly, from FW 5.1.0, before I upgrade to FW 5.3 and above, I should jailbreak my KT and also install the bridge package. Then I can upgrade to 5.3.2.1 and again to 5.3.7.3. Hopefully the jailbreak will survive the upgrade to 5.3.2.1 and 5.3.7.3.

Unless the jailbreak does not survive, I do not need to repeat the instructions to jailbreak my KT again and also install the bridge again before I apply each FW upgrade, right? If the jailbreak does not survive the upgrades, then I will have to use Kubrick to jailbreak, correct?

It also appears that I can install the kindlets/useful apps by copying them to the extensions folder in the Kindle.

Is KUAL the same as GUI Launcher? and I will have to reinstall KUAL and any other kindlets after the FW upgrades?

Finally, do I need USBNet hack?

Anyways thank you so much for all your help. It is much more reassuring to proceed after hearing back from you with the clarifications. Thank you thank you.

Last edited by rob00; 10-19-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #2652
knc1
Going Viral

The most recent firmware version for the Kindle Touch that you have is 5.3.7.3
If you read the title of this thread, you will see that 5.3.7.3 falls into the range that can be jail broken with the method described in the first post of this thread.

Follow all of Amazon's directions (you will find them again on your device model's page) to update to 5.3.7.3.

If it bricks along the way, use Kubrick.

Once you get to 5.3.7.3, follow the jailbreak instructions here (open the spoilers in the first post and read those also).
Once you open and read the first spoiler, you will know that it does not matter how many times you install the jailbreak.
It can always be installed, even if it is already installed, it does no harm to install it again.

KUAL is described in its own thread.
It is a sticky thread.
At the time I post this, it is at the very top of the top (sticky) part of the index page.
Read the title.
What the acronym KUAL stands for should answer your own question.

Do you need ssh or telnet access to your Kindle?
The USBNetworking is not required for anything else to work - except for the features that it provides.

That is: None of the other add-ins require it.
So it is up to you to decide if you need it.

The 'bridge' code ONLY bridges the device jail break (and itself) across Amazon updates.
But there are no Amazon updates beyond 5.3.7.3 - when you get there, no other newer firmware exists.

But other than what is 'bridged' across the update, if it seems broke, re-install it.

= = = =

ONCE YOU REACH 5.3.7.3 THERE IS NOTHING THE KINDLE CAN UPDATE TO.
So stop worrying about what an update might do to the add-ins you install to 5.3.7.3, there is no update that can be done.
That is like worrying about leaving a jug of water outdoors tonight, when sometime in the next million years we might have another ice age.

# 1 500 1

Last edited by knc1; 10-19-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #2653
rob00

Quote:
The most recent firmware version for the Kindle Touch that you have is 5.3.7.3
If you read the title of this thread, you will see that 5.3.7.3 falls into the range that can be jail broken with the method described in the first post of this thread.
# 1 500 1
Thanks again for your reply. The "Thread: K5 Kindle Touch/PW1/PW2 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak. Plus FW 5.x USBNetwork." was a bit confusing for me.

Although FW 5.3.7.3 falls within 5.0.0 to 5.4.4.2, it never mentions that I need to install the bridge before going up to 5.3.x. In fact, the instructions says that I only need to install the bridge if the FW is 5.4.5 and above. However, other threads mention that I need to install the bridge before upgrading to 5.3.x because from 5.3.x, the firmware flashes the entire system, wiping everything clean, including the jailbreak. So that was confusing and I needed clarification. You confirmed that I needed the bridge, so I followed that and it worked. I wonder what would have happened if I had not installed the bridge and upgraded to 5.3.7.3 and then tried to jailbreak it, because the instructions says that if the FW is lower than 5.4.4.2, I can just jailbreak it without the bridge.

The other part that was confusing is that it is not clear if USBNetwork is automatically installed when the jailbreak is installed, or if it needs to be installed separately. The thread tile says "...Plus FW 5.x USBNetwork" yet it does not give any instruction on how to install the USBNetwork download. Is there no separate instruction for USBNetwork because it is automatically installed when Jailbreaking, similar to MKK?

I imagine that someone expert enough on the subject to post this how-to thread is well versed on the subject, so everything might seem obvious or the instructions really seems totally complete to them. But for noobs, specially someone that just got a kindle for the first time, the detailed instructions sometimes unintentionally is missing something and/or is seemingly conflicting. The funny thing is that once the noob successfully jailbreaks and gains some experience by researching various forums and by asking questions on the forums, the very same detailed instructions NOW they seem complete and obvious, because the missing knowledge has been filled in. But when one is not familiar at all, the noob can hang by every word of the instructions and still not be completely sure on how to proceed. Thank goodness we can ask questions and there are generous people that bothers to teach us noobs. THANK YOU.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #2654
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Thanks again for your reply. The "Thread: K5 Kindle Touch/PW1/PW2 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak. Plus FW 5.x USBNetwork." was a bit confusing for me.

Although FW 5.3.7.3 falls within 5.0.0 to 5.4.4.2, it never mentions that I need to install the bridge before going up to 5.3.x. In fact, the instructions says that I only need to install the bridge if the FW is 5.4.5 and above. However, other threads mention that I need to install the bridge before upgrading to 5.3.x because from 5.3.x, the firmware flashes the entire system, wiping everything clean, including the jailbreak. So that was confusing and I needed clarification. You confirmed that I needed the bridge, so I followed that and it worked. I wonder what would have happened if I had not installed the bridge and upgraded to 5.3.7.3 and then tried to jailbreak it, because the instructions says that if the FW is lower than 5.4.4.2, I can just jailbreak it without the bridge.

The other part that was confusing is that it is not clear if USBNetwork is automatically installed when the jailbreak is installed, or if it needs to be installed separately. The thread tile says "...Plus FW 5.x USBNetwork" yet it does not give any instruction on how to install the USBNetwork download. Is there no separate instruction for USBNetwork because it is automatically installed when Jailbreaking, similar to MKK?

I imagine that someone expert enough on the subject to post this how-to thread is well versed on the subject, so everything might seem obvious or the instructions really seems totally complete to them. But for noobs, specially someone that just got a kindle for the first time, the detailed instructions sometimes unintentionally is missing something and/or is seemingly conflicting. The funny thing is that once the noob successfully jailbreaks and gains some experience by researching various forums and by asking questions on the forums, the very same detailed instructions NOW they seem complete and obvious, because the missing knowledge has been filled in. But when one is not familiar at all, the noob can hang by every word of the instructions and still not be completely sure on how to proceed. Thank goodness we can ask questions and there are generous people that bothers to teach us noobs. THANK YOU.
Hi. The thing about jailbreaks are they are not meant for newbies. I admire all your questions before asking.
To me: they are perfectly simple.
Read all the steps including spoilers. Now do exactly what the instructions say in order. Make sure you have everything you need before starting.
Read all of step and then do step 1.
Read all of step 2 and then do step 2.
Repeat until all steps are done.
Then you may do the optional steps that follow.
There now you are good to go.
Alternatively: if you do not understand the steps, enjoy your stock kindle.

I hope this helps.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #2655
knc1
Going Viral

Look at the bottom of the first post.
Two different topics covered in the post, two different attachments.

Look at the download ("view") counts.
Either you don't need both of them or 14,000 people have made a mistake in only downloading one of them.
And all 14,000 are ashamed to mention it in the thread that is five years old.

Asking questions when puzzled about something is good.
But don't let that become a substitute for a bit of thought before asking.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch