Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Cool Reader for Kobo

Cool Reader for Kobo

***** Product web page *****
---- SOURCES ----

Stable builds
Test builds

My work based on Craizy Coder's port. But now it is much differs from the origin.

Main features:
* It is optimized and works now for Touch devices.
* Configurable swiped and tap zones.
* Multi-language virtual keyboard can be used for text search, remarks, dictionary (remarks and dictionary are not implemented yet, but will be soon)
* Configurable screen saver
* Very comfortable frontlight control
* Very comfortable dialogs (TOC, Recent books, Open file).
* Dictionary (StarDict)

Other apps
1. pbchess (chess trainer) (Touch)
2. checkers (Touch, Non-touch)
3. reversi (othello) (Touch, Non-touch)
4. sokoban (Touch, Non-touch)
5. sudoku (touch only)
6. takuzu (touch only)
7. notepad (Touch, Non-touch)
8. calculator (Touch, Non-touch)
9. dictionary (touch only)
10. file manager (touch only)

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 03-22-2018 at 02:49 AM.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Is there some reason that you are keeping the same version name & number? With the same version for different versions, things can get a little confusing.

I'll be trying it out right away.

Is there a way to set CoolReader so that it can see and read "hidden files"?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Is there some reason that you are keeping the same version name & number? With the same version for different versions, things can get a little confusing.
Right! I'll add the version information into the new ("About") tab of Kobo Launcher

Quote:
I'll be trying it out right away.
Is there a way to set CoolReader so that it can see and read "hidden files"?
Luck;
Ken
It's easy and will be implemented soon.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
I've compiled the first version of Cool Reader for Kobo. It is available with KoboLauncher and the rest of my programs.
I'm curious, why have you chosen the desktop version of CoolReader for porting to Kobo. There is a near perfect e-ink version of CoolReader for Kindle Touch/Paperwhite with sources on Github. (Ok, I have to admit I'm one-sided in favour of e-ink versions of CoolReader against desktop ones. I've used CoolReader on Hanlin V5, basic Kindle, using now on Paperwhite and fb2 is my favourite ebook format even now.)
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is hard to see the tiny icons, on the AuraHD, I can usually figure out what they are, due to the resolution of the AuraHD, but working the sliders and selecting the icons is very hard and frustrating at times.

My real problem is navigating the file system to find my ebook files. The folders that I need to navigate through do not show. And I can't find where to set it to see hidden files/folders. If I have to expose my ebooks to Nickel there is no point to an alternate reader.

As of now, you need to use a stylus or have very small pointy fingers. There could be some gestures implemented, at least to turn pages. It looks like it is meant to work with a full keyboard.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-18-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

New version is ready!

New version!

Installation:

1. Uninstall previous version of KoboLauncher if you have it (remove .kobo/KoboLauncher)
2. Download and install the latest version of KoboLauncher.

Small demo video

http://youtu.be/7secQcrMHzg

Ken

The new version can browse hidden folders and SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike76 View Post
I'm curious, why have you chosen the desktop version of CoolReader for porting to Kobo. There is a near perfect e-ink version of CoolReader for Kindle Touch/Paperwhite with sources on Github. (Ok, I have to admit I'm one-sided in favour of e-ink versions of CoolReader against desktop ones. I've used CoolReader on Hanlin V5, basic Kindle, using now on Paperwhite and fb2 is my favourite ebook format even now.)
Agree. Kindle version is selected as origin. But there are a lot of changes in it already!

Quote:
As of now, you need to use a stylus or have very small pointy fingers. There could be some gestures implemented, at least to turn pages.
Implemented. Left - previous page, Right - next page, Up - menu. See demo video.

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 09-20-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard

WOW, that was fast! Looks much more workable. I'll get right on it.

Luck;
Ken
Old 09-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

PLEASE DON'T SELECT "File Properties" MENU OPTION. THERE IS NO EXIT FROM IT FOR NOW !!!
Old 09-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard

You might be having a problem with the action pop-up windows, on my AuraHD they seem to be of a size that doesn't always show all the needed info or controls. They seem to appear as if they were a magnified window into a larger page, with only a part of the real page shown. For the AuraHD a reduction in the font size would help.

Luck;
Ken
Old 09-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
You might be having a problem with the action pop-up windows, on my AuraHD they seem to be of a size that doesn't always show all the needed info or controls. They seem to appear as if they were a magnified window into a larger page, with only a part of the real page shown. For the AuraHD a reduction in the font size would help.

Luck;
Ken
Screenshot please ...
Old 09-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
New version!
It's much better than previous, very first version, now it seems really promising. It works well on Kobo Mini, however, some arrow icons in Settings menu are too small on the tiny screen of Mini, so it isn't easy to modify settings.
Nor 'Recent books' option , neither remembering last position in books doesn't work on my reader - in spite of that all the generated cache files are in their proper location in cr3/data/cache directory.
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard

The problem isn't there in the new version, but the menu text size may still be too large for the AuraHD, making lines with not enough text, in the menu space. The tiny up and down arrows for the font size still require a stylus. The Text font dropdown list, and many others, do not have enough text, with the menu font size this large. You have a great set of options to set, a number that people have been asking for with the Kobo devices. It would help if the menu font size could be adjustable or just made a good deal smaller for now.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-20-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Really glad to see you working on this. coolreader was a godsend on sonys.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
Don_Karnage
Enthusiast
Don_Karnage began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360 , kobo glo
would it be possible to move a book from the sd card to the internal memory with cool reader ?
Don_Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:07 AM   #15
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Thanks to all who responded.

1. Settings dialog will be fixed in the next build
2. Storing/restoring recent books and bookmarks will be fixed in the next build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Karnage View Post
would it be possible to move a book from the sd card to the internal memory with cool reader ?
No. The main purpose of reader is to read books but not to copy/move/delete files. Probably I'll implement a simple file manager for Kobo afterwards.