Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Unhappy Text doubling

I accidentally dropped my 505 in its case from a height of about 3 1/2 feet on Monday and the right half of the screen is darker with the text as normal plus a lighter version about 1/16 of an inch off to the right, making it look like your eyes couldn't focus. Frustrated as all get out, I put it back in its case and dropped it facing the opposite way on the table and it actually fixed it...for a day. Yesterday it started doing it again but on the other side. I cannot get it to go away now. I also noticed that the silver plate at the top, that the switch is in, is only attached on the right side. I can pull it up enough that the switch no longer works. In a case, it is in all the way though. I also noticed that if I hit a page number and then back out, it fixes it somewhat but it happens again when I turn the page.

Advice? Is it fixable? Am I just going to have to purchase a new Reader (or other ebook device)? I really don't want any of the current Sonys if I have to replace it so I am looking at the Nook WiFi as a possible.

Last edited by revfish; 07-01-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: More info added
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

71 views and no advice?

I think I can see what my options are.

Sounds like Nook, here I come (when I get the money)
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
jotekman
Enthusiast
jotekman is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
I know this may be somewhat strange to say, but having not taken one apart, I can only give my best guess. If the screen is not cracked, and you most likely can't take it back for warranty I would guess, have you tried taking it apart and seeing if perhaps one of the ribbon cables has pulled just slightly from its place? I know an old laptop of mine did that when it fell off the table once, and reseating the ribbon cables (and for some reason, updating firmware) happened to do the trick. Just a far out idea.....
jotekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster

I will see about giving that a shot. At this point, I really can't hurt it much more unless I break the substrate.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster

Well I took it apart. All the cables are connected fine. I am officially giving up.

I am off to Barnes & Noble tomorrow. Maybe I should put it and its cover with light up on here for parts or repair.
Advert