Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 02-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #91
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
My son just bought the Tracfone ZTE Citrine ($29.99 at Target and elsewhere) to replace his broken Sansa media player. It was cheaper to get a phone than any decent media player these days, if you can even find one.
8GB, MicroSD expandable 4" screen, Android 5.1, and most notably for the phones at this price, two cameras so he can video chat.

So far, he's loving it. It performs better than I expected for a $30 phone, and so he's doing more game playing than audio listening right now.

I'm pleasantly surprised that for $30, with no activation required, we can get a device like this. Bluetooth, Wifi, GPS, and even with only 8GB (and shifting some stuff to the SD card) he has a gaggle of apps installed.
And if we want to, we can even activate it as a phone.

I doubt I'll even bother buying him a case for protection. Hopefully by the time he breaks it, we'll be able to get an even better device even cheaper.
(I don't WANT it to be disposable, but it seems like the better value play.)

Would you still recommend this phone for audiobooks in the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #92
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by radbaddude View Post
Would you still recommend this phone for audiobooks in the car?
Yes, as a matter of fact, he tried it with my bluetooth car stereo and via the 3.5mm aux cord in my car for the first time this weekend. it's proved impressively adequate. The output volume seemed a little low compared to my phone, but we just had to turn the car stereo a little louder to compensate
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #93
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yes, as a matter of fact, he tried it with my bluetooth car stereo and via the 3.5mm aux cord in my car for the first time this weekend. it's proved impressively adequate. The output volume seemed a little low compared to my phone, but we just had to turn the car stereo a little louder to compensate

Awesome! My droid x won't charge anymore so I'll be picking this up. Tyvm

Old 03-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #94
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Just stay away from the ZTE Maven II. It's a piece of junk. I got it for free and now I know why AT&T gave them away during Xmas.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #95
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Just stay away from the ZTE Maven II. It's a piece of junk. I got it for free and now I know why AT&T gave them away during Xmas.

Sent from my XT1528
What's it doing? I got one, which my daughter has mainly been using with Spotify. Is it not worth activating as a phone?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:38 PM   #96
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
What's it doing? I got one, which my daughter has mainly been using with Spotify. Is it not worth activating as a phone?
The sensor is really messed on it as a phone. The screen is cheap so unresponsive or misinterprets touches. It garbles on calls people can't understand your words half the time. I am having to restart it just to fix the sensor bug. It has sync issues too.

I have to use a call lock app just to talk on it otherwise it just goes nuts with the screen.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 03-03-2017, 06:51 AM   #97
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The sensor is really messed on it as a phone. The screen is cheap so unresponsive or misinterprets touches.
No touch or screen problems on my daughter's phone. It has not yet been used for calls or texts, although I will activate it soon and find out. (Well maybe not til the end of April).

My issue with this phone is that apps can't be moved to the SD card. And it's only got 8GB internal. That is severely limiting.

Last edited by booklover6; 03-03-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #98
radbaddude
Addict

Quote:
No touch or screen problems on my daughter's phone. It has not yet been used for calls or texts, although I will activate it soon and find out. (Well maybe not til the end of April).

My issue with this phone is that apps can't be moved to the SD card. And it's only got 8GB internal. That is severely limiting.

Why can't apps be moved?

Old 03-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #99
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by radbaddude View Post
Why can't apps be moved?

Android 6 Marshmallow doesn't allow it (though I might be able to do something about that, if this phone will allow "adoptable storage")
Old 03-04-2017, 04:24 PM   #100
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Android 6 Marshmallow doesn't allow it
I have no idea what your particular phone allows, but Android 6 Marshmallow absolutely does allow it. I just did it. Not all apps allow it, though.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:10 PM   #101
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

It probably does allow it. Does it erase what's stored on the card when you do it? I should do it, regardless.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:07 PM   #102
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I know my Moto E has annoying lollipop. You have to move the apps to SD Everytime it updates. It really is the only thing I don't like about this phone.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 03-05-2017, 07:25 AM   #103
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Apparently, the ZTE Maven 2 is one of the phones that does not allow adopting the SD card to internal storage.