Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-06-2021, 06:52 AM   #31
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Next reading will be an Olympic Sport.
I couldn't tell you how fast I read. When reading I do not see the words. I am seeing the action as described by the author.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #32
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Next reading will be an Olympic Sport.
I couldn't tell you how fast I read. When reading I do not see the words. I am seeing the action as described by the author.
Apache
Nice. I see some sort of amalgam of the words and the action. It is difficult to describe. It only works this for fiction and only if is a good book. If I do not like the book I only see the text.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2021, 12:11 PM   #33
fjdk
fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseyleeanna View Post
When you read slowly, your mind tends to wander off in all different directions, things about your day, tomorrow, something people said, what you want to eat, and so on. If you find yourself rereading text then you should read faster, not slower. I work best when I'm actively scanning for information or answers.
Maybe I'm misreading the post that kicked of the recent discussion, but it doesn't read to me like it's not particularly promoting speed reading per se, but is suggesting a strategy for how to gain focus when you notice that you're getting distracted while reading at whatever speed you read at. An interesting idea, I may give it a go, but think for me when I can easily get distracted is typically when I'm tired and may be better for me to get some sleep instead of continuing to "force" myself to continue reading.
fjdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:20 PM   #34
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
When you read slowly, your mind tends to wander off in all different directions, things about your day, tomorrow, something people said, what you want to eat, and so on. If you find yourself rereading text then you should read faster, not slower. I work best when I'm actively scanning for information or answers.
I read fast naturally, and have to intentionally slow myself down. But if a book is holding my interest, my mind doesn't wander. When engrossed in a book, I can totally block out what is happening around me.

If I find my mind wandering while reading, it's because the book is boring or is just not pulling me in.

I've never really understood the desire to "speed read" aside from those with required reading for school etc. While I may read some books quickly, lite fiction for example, I generally like to immerse myself in a book, and savor it, taking my time. I'm "seeing" in my brain what is going on in the text. I'm "there."

Some authors, Jane Austen for example, I can't read so quickly. When I do, I lose the train of thought and what is being said.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:32 PM   #35
fjdk
fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Again, I don't think it's promoting "speed reading" all the time, just when you find a case as you describe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
If I find my mind wandering while reading, it's because the book is boring or is just not pulling me in.
At least for me, other causes can be how tired I am, what kind of day I've had and/or mood that I'm currently in. Reading faster, not "speed reading", may help promote some focus and allow myself to be "pulled in" to the book.
Advert
Old 12-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Sounds like one of my family's complaints about me that when I am reading, I am almost totally oblivious to the world around me.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:04 PM   #37
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjdk View Post
Maybe I'm misreading the post that kicked of the recent discussion, but it doesn't read to me like it's not particularly promoting speed reading per se, but is suggesting a strategy for how to gain focus when you notice that you're getting distracted while reading at whatever speed you read at.
The OP's post presumed to tell readers how to read "better", for example they explicitly said " If you find yourself rereading text then you should read faster, not slower." That is, quite frankly, stupid, and being presented as an instruction, something others should do makes it offensive as well.

If I re-read text, it's either because I want to make sure I understand it thoroughly (science-focused non-fiction or non-L1 fiction/poetry) or, to use a very apt word used by another commenter, to "savor" the words. Like many others, I read light fiction reasonably rapidly, but even VERY light fiction can be so well-written that going back and re-reading passages enhances the experience. Wodehouse is a prime example - I can skim his works at great speed, but doing that skips over so many wonderful gems of phrasing that are the very reason for reading him the first place. The perfect example of why instructing me that "if I find myself rereading text I should read faster not slower" leaves me a VERY long way from gruntled.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:31 PM   #38
fjdk

Sounds like we interpret the post differently. If you never re-read text due to distractions, losing your place, un-focused reading, then great...continue what you're doing. Most of the time I'm pretty immersed myself, but I do have times where it's a bit of a struggle. During those times I could see where trying to force a somewhat faster read than normal could have a side-effect of increasing focus and allow myself to fully immerse into the book. Whether this works for me or not I'm sure I'll eventually discover .
Old 12-06-2021, 03:54 PM   #39
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjdk View Post
Maybe I'm misreading the post that kicked of the recent discussion, but it doesn't read to me like it's not particularly promoting speed reading per se, but is suggesting a strategy for how to gain focus when you notice that you're getting distracted while reading at whatever speed you read at. An interesting idea, I may give it a go, but think for me when I can easily get distracted is typically when I'm tired and may be better for me to get some sleep instead of continuing to "force" myself to continue reading.
The opening sentence pretty clearly claims that reading slowly, in and of itself, tends to cause mind wandering , for people in general, particularly any "you" reading the post. This quite natuarally provoked a number of "you"s whose minds do not wander while reading slowly to protest.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #40
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sounds like one of my family's complaints about me that when I am reading, I am almost totally oblivious to the world around me.
Same here. My wife, after all of the years we have been married, still gets mad at me for not answering her questions.
Apache
Old 12-06-2021, 07:44 PM   #41
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Same here. My wife, after all of the years we have been married, still gets mad at me for not answering her questions.
Apache
Surely not.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:53 AM   #42
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
Surely not.
I don't understand it. She only has to call my name 3 or 4 times, maybe more, and I will eventually ask her what she said. When I do ask her, she usually replies with never mind.
Apache
Old 12-07-2021, 08:01 AM   #43
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
The OP's post presumed to tell readers how to read "better", for example they explicitly said " If you find yourself rereading text then you should read faster, not slower." That is, quite frankly, stupid, and being presented as an instruction, something others should do makes it offensive as well.

If I re-read text, it's either because I want to make sure I understand it thoroughly (science-focused non-fiction or non-L1 fiction/poetry) or, to use a very apt word used by another commenter, to "savor" the words. Like many others, I read light fiction reasonably rapidly, but even VERY light fiction can be so well-written that going back and re-reading passages enhances the experience. Wodehouse is a prime example - I can skim his works at great speed, but doing that skips over so many wonderful gems of phrasing that are the very reason for reading him the first place. The perfect example of why instructing me that "if I find myself rereading text I should read faster not slower" leaves me a VERY long way from gruntled.
I agree with you wholeheartedly in your thinking. (However, your quote is not from the OP, but from one post - from a new member - who decided to revive a thread that had not been posted to in 10 years!)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:27 PM   #44
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I agree with you wholeheartedly in your thinking. (However, your quote is not from the OP, but from one post - from a new member - who decided to revive a thread that had not been posted to in 10 years!)
Thanks for the correction, and apologies to the miistakenly maligned OP - I must have read the post too quickly.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:20 PM   #45
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Definitely YMMV advice.

In my case the moment I lose focus and get distracted I will start quickly skimming, often running my eyeballs across the screen/page without bothering to properly process the information.

If it's something that I *need* to read, understand and remember; I find it best to flip back to the last bit I remember focusing on and start reading somewhat more slowly than usual with frequent pauses to check if I can remember what I've just read; taking a break once I've hit a good pausing point so that I can come back to it with a fresher brain.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote