Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-08-2020, 08:48 AM   #46
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I realize that we're in the ePUB forum, but I do feel compelled to point out that em-sizing for images doesn't always work in MOBI/PRC/yadda, either.
A good point. I'll claim that I knew that, and I also knew this was in the ePub forum, so didn't apply. Yes, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #47
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A good point. I'll claim that I knew that, and I also knew this was in the ePub forum, so didn't apply. Yes, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Great Mouse, we all knew that you knew all that. It is, after all, the ePUB forum and what you said is absolutely correct for ePUB. :-D

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2020, 09:37 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I realize that we're in the ePUB forum, but I do feel compelled to point out that em-sizing for images doesn't always work in MOBI/PRC/yadda, either.

I remember back when Guido Henkel claimed that was the end-all, be-all solution for early MOBI making, except, it didn't work--at all. On some devices, still doesn't.

Hitch
What would be your solution for a section break marker that's not asterisks that would work across the three major formats and on different size/resolution screens?

I've already given my solution. I'd like to know if there is a better solution.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:25 AM   #49
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
How about a row of tildes?

~~~~~~~~~

I think it's much better to use characters than an <hr> as the characters will be rendered on far more systems.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #50
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What would be your solution for a section break marker that's not asterisks that would work across the three major formats and on different size/resolution screens?

I've already given my solution. I'd like to know if there is a better solution.
Wolfie:

You know all the pros and cons, the ins and outs. You've described the very reason that people DO use asterisms; because the sizing mechanisms may not work well on a huge device (a 10", for example) or, or or, for graphics like fleurons. The em sizing for a fleuron won't work on some devices. This won't work there, or that another thing will have this unintended consequence.

But, you can pretty much always rely on asterisks, can't you? OR, you could use the tilde: ~~~ with whatever spacing you prefer. OR hash marks, if you aren't writing a romance (I always think the hash marks look accidental, to my eyes).

OR, you can use a fleuron--or a line--and rely on the reader not having a kneejerk reaction if they're reading on a Boox or whatever.

A simple horizontal line, set to be, say, half the width of the screen, centered, works very well on all platforms, IME.

That's how it is. I've fought the limitations for a long time and honestly, after a decade of this (oy), I'm at the point where I think, it's better to do what works reliably, than to continue being the salmon swimming upstream, ya know?

Hitch
Advert
Old 07-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #51
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
— ○ —
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #52
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
— ○ —
MWAHAHAHAHA.

Hitch
Old 07-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
— ○ —
I like this one...

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I wonder what readers would think if they saw this for the section break marker.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-08-2020 at 02:30 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote