Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
ptully
ptully began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Collections really not possible on mem card?

Hey - I know officially you can't have collections on a mem card (seems sooooo dumb to not support), but has anyone figured out a hack/script for this or is it really not technically possible??

I saw a work-around for this in forum to use bookmarks instead, but still would really prefer to use collections. Sorry if this has already been addressed (i'm new to the forum).
ptully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It's one of the things we're hoping that they'll put in their first Firmware update, ptully. And we'll pretty much all agree with you that it's a dumb arrangement.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
My guess is that you should be able to add your own collections by editing the /Data/database/cache/media.xml file directly.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now that's an idea. Do you have a sample string handy that we could reference, igorsk?

Lotta trouble, of course, but it'd be worth it to some of us, I'm sure.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Here's a piece of my file with a collection (under <records> key):
Code:
<xs1:playlist title="His Dark Materials" sourceid="0" id="1">
        <xs1:item id="24"/>
        <xs1:item id="25"/>
        <xs1:item id="26"/>
</xs1:playlist>
"id" is the id of the book, e.g.:
Code:
<xs1:text author="Philip Pullman" page="138" part="0" scale="1" status="2"
 sourceid="2" id="24" date="Wed, 11 Oct 2006 18:46:58 GMT" mime="application/x-sony-bbeb" path="books/cbuscerhi000d80a.lrx" size="646305" title="The Golden Compass" titleSorter="Golden Compass">
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

That ought to be enough to let us who 'just have to" build them, igorsk. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
ptully
ptully began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
ah, ok i see - so the actual collections db resides on the ereader itself, not in any of the mem cards or hard drive (even though they contain cache.xml file)... hmm... I guess that means i still have to connect my reader to the computer... dang...

Thanks for the info though - at least I now i know where to write my own collections to and how it works. Excelente!
ptully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

Just adding the "collection" code to the existing cache.xml might give you the collection, is what igorsk is suggesting.

If you hose it too badly, delete it and the Reader can always regenerate it from scratch.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:07 PM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'd back it up first... it can take a while to regenerate all the books and all the font sizes unless you load via the Connect software.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote