Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Life expectancy of the battery for Sony PRS-505

Hi,
I was just wondering how long I can expect the battery to last on this Sony PRS-505. I hope it is longer than one year. I just got to thinking that is the how long my last MP3 player battery lasted.

How long has anyone had theirs? Over one year?
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I've had my 505 for about 15 months, use it every day and the battery is still going strong. I probably charge it once every one and a half to two weeks--only rarely has is dropped to less than three bars.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I'm going on two years, no battery issues yet. (Looking for wood to knock on)
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I'm at 19 months and haven't had any problem at all. And, like dordale, I charge it about every one and half to two weeks
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Hell, I bought my 500 the day it came out and I still only charge it about every week and a half...and I read over a book a week.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosst Amojan View Post
Hell, I bought my 500 the day it came out and I still only charge it about every week and a half...and I read over a book a week.
How long has that been? I don't know when the 500 came out.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #7
new

That is great news on life expectancy!

Thanks everyone for telling me good news on the life expectancy. I didn't want to get attached to it and have it die on me Especially since I didn't get it as cheap as some people here did. But it was on sale at least.

I also am happy to hear you don't have to charge it very often. I have to charge my MP3 player every other day, I do listen to it alot.

Now if only Sony would play with Mac so I can transfer my Overdrive books to the Sony via the Mac. Instead I have to use the Windows computer, UGH!
Old 07-04-2009, 01:32 AM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

new--

From what I understand, you just have to register your reader with the Adobe Digital Editions software using Windows. Once that's done, as long as your Mac's registered to the same account you should be able to transfer books via the Mac. I'm a Windows user myself, so I don't have any personal experience with this.

dordale
Old 07-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur
DanielCoffey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The batteries are also fairly easily available and exchangeable given care and competency with a small screwdriver (once out of warranty of course).

Have a look on these forums for the "505 battery replacement" threads.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
How long has that been? I don't know when the 500 came out.
That would be September of '06.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:47 PM   #11
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
new--

From what I understand, you just have to register your reader with the Adobe Digital Editions software using Windows. Once that's done, as long as your Mac's registered to the same account you should be able to transfer books via the Mac. I'm a Windows user myself, so I don't have any personal experience with this.

dordale
Yeah, you can get the ADE to open on a Mac with the Overdrive books, but SONY didn't make a driver to convert and send to the Sony PRS-505 player! They think people don't use anything but Windows products? I hope (keeping fingers crossed) that they do support Apple computers in the near future.

I posted and looked at Adobe's website forum and it is Sony's lack of Apple driver support.

Last edited by new; 07-04-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #12
dordale
Wizard

new--

I think that once you download the book on the Mac, you can use Calibre to transfer it to your Sony. Like I said I don't own a Sony, so I'm not sure about this, but it seems like I read somewhere in these forums that this will work.

It's worth a shot anyway!

dordale
Old 07-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'm past 18 months with mine and have no need or interest in replacing the battery. Note I do keep it topped-off. Almost never fully discharge (supposedly better for lithium ion). The longest it goes between charges is maybe three days or 1,000 page turns, enough to drop one indicator bar of charge.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've been letting mine drop all the way down to either just one bar or sometimes below with the low battery warning showing up. It may be my imagination, but these days it seems to hold its charge a lot longer than when I first received my reader. Right now it's been more than two weeks since I charged it, and I'm only on two bars. My reading habits haven't changed; still read 3-5 hours every day. The battery just seems to hold more juice now!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote