Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
sunnydalemom
sunnydalemom doesn't littersunnydalemom doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Kindle 2 and Windows Vista 64 bit

I just got a new Kindle 2, plugged the USB in and Windows can't find the drivers to install. It looks and looks and then crashes Windows explorer so that I have to reboot the whole computer. The Kindle never shows up as a drive.

I did some googling and found one post that says the Kindle 2 isn't compatible with Vista 64 bit. Does anyone have a work around for this yet? I just want to transfer and backup files via usb. If this is a known incompatibility it should be more widely publicized.

My Kindle 1 has no problems with it.
sunnydalemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
try resetting your kindle and then plugging it in. Some people have reported problems and that resetting the kindle before you plug it in fixes it.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
sunnydalemom
sunnydalemom doesn't littersunnydalemom doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
How do I reset it?
sunnydalemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
That's odd. It shouldn't need drivers. It should just look at it like a removable drive. I use my Kindle 1 with Vista 64 (and XP and Linux) all the time. It's no different than when I plug in my USB flash drive.

Last edited by Alisa; 02-26-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
1) I use my K2 on a vista 64 computer with no problems.

2) To reset it you slide the power switch over and hold it in that position for several seconds (15 seconds???). When you let go it will reset itself.

Michael
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
smx
smx began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
me too, Kindle 2 freezes me explorer and it will unfreeze as soon as I unplug the usb cable from the computer. In my case windows finds the drivers but now I can't access the kindle, or the computer for that matter. I tried restarting the computer, reseting the kindle, and using different usb ports.

gone are the days I could use an SD reader to transfer my books

Last edited by smx; 02-26-2009 at 05:06 PM.
smx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
If you have trouble with Windows 64bit, please list your computer model number (ie. DELL-something or HP-something). Or list out the Motherboard model name. USB is infamous for connectivity because of its wide different implementation if you are not on a INTEL chipset.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Mine worked on vista 64 right out of the box, but then gave me an error message as an unrecognized usb device sometime later. A reset of the kindle seemed to fix it and it hasn't come back.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Vista 64-bit user here and I have had no problems at all connecting or transferring files to my K2.

I would add that I am very anal about having all the latest drivers and BIOS installed. Might be something to look at.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:27 AM   #10
Flak
Flak began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Just got my kindle 2 today, it is running v2.0 of the software. I have multiple vista 64bit boxes with varying hardware all are kept up-to-date. All have the same problem, as soon as you plug in the kindle, explorer hangs. It takes multiple tries, resetting the kindle each time to get it noticed in windows without explorer hanging. But then, it's taken over 2hrs now to transfer just 18mb worth of books to the kindle.
Flak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:41 AM   #11
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Are you running any AMD chipests? Nvidia? or Intel chipsets. Please list the model number of motherboard used, so I can lookup what USB host controller the device is talking to. Also, are u running between bridges or hub?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:56 AM   #12
smx
smx began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak View Post
Just got my kindle 2 today, it is running v2.0 of the software. I have multiple vista 64bit boxes with varying hardware all are kept up-to-date. All have the same problem, as soon as you plug in the kindle, explorer hangs. It takes multiple tries, resetting the kindle each time to get it noticed in windows without explorer hanging. But then, it's taken over 2hrs now to transfer just 18mb worth of books to the kindle.
Same exact problem. btw my PC is custom built with GA-P35-DS3L Motherboard. Running vista X64 with 6GB of memory. Intel Quad Core, Nvidia 8800GT. Tried all my usb connections not just the front connections with no avail.

The only way I could access it is by bridging the USB to my virtual windows xp running inside the vista x64. when I did that I had full access to the kindle from the virtual windows. That shows that the problem exists on the vista side of things.

Last edited by smx; 02-27-2009 at 02:00 AM.
smx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:58 AM   #13
stevenmoy
Zealot

thank you for your detail report.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #14
Dbadge
Dbadge began at the beginning.

I had the same problem as others with Vista 64 bit and freezing up Explorer until the Kindle 2 was unplugged. In my case, if I plug it into the back of the computer, rather than the front USB, it works fine.

System:
Abit AB9 QuadGT motherboard (Intel 965 chipset)
Dbadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think it's time to upgrade to Windows XP 32-bit. Then things will actually work.

Windows 7 beta is already better then Vista ever was.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote