Old 03-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
SusieQ100
Enthusiast
SusieQ100 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Tweaking Calibre to show collections on Sony reader

Hi all,

I've tried to understand it but it's way over my head

Can anyone explain to me, step-by-step, how I have to set Calibre to change the way my collections are displayed on my Sony PRS-T2? At the moment it lists all my collection by author and series, I want it to only show the series.

Many thanks in advance

Cross-posted in the Calibre Library forum just in case I've put it in the wrong place!
SusieQ100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For your eBooks in Calibre, what do you have in the Tags and Series columns? Tags is used for a collection where the books are not part of a series and Series is obviously used for when the books are part of a series.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Any tags you enter in Calibre's tags column will auto sort into Collections on your reader. Multiple tags allows the same book to appear in multiple collections.

If you mean how do you sort collections: They are in alphabetical order.
If you mean how do you sort books in a specific collection: Same as on your bookshelf. Click on the AZ button at the top and you can sort books in that collection by added order, date, title, author or filename.

IF you mean you want books in your "Books" list to be sorted by collection, you cannot.

I THINK what you want to do is go to the Tags in Calibre, click in that column and add a collection name like "Harry Potter Novels". That's it. Once the books are on your reader, go to the "Collections" area and they'll be grouped together.

Frankly, I have found that if you add books in a series to the Reader, one at a time in order and then go to the "Books" section and select "Sort by Author", the order for the book series will be correct.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:02 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ100 View Post
Hi all,

I've tried to understand it but it's way over my head

Can anyone explain to me, step-by-step, how I have to set Calibre to change the way my collections are displayed on my Sony PRS-T2? At the moment it lists all my collection by author and series, I want it to only show the series.

Many thanks in advance

Cross-posted in the Calibre Library forum just in case I've put it in the wrong place!
Don't cross post. You might want to review the Posting Guidelines. I'm going to close the other thread.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I THINK what you want to do is go to the Tags in Calibre, click in that column and add a collection name like "Harry Potter Novels". That's it. Once the books are on your reader, go to the "Collections" area and they'll be grouped together.
I doubt that is what's wanted. Harry Potter is a series. The series name should go in the Series column. You want them to have the number next to them "Harry Potter [1]" so they will show in order in the collection and also, you can see easily which book goes in what order.
Advert
Old 03-09-2017, 01:22 AM   #6
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I doubt that is what's wanted. Harry Potter is a series. The series name should go in the Series column. You want them to have the number next to them "Harry Potter [1]" so they will show in order in the collection and also, you can see easily which book goes in what order.
Well, I did make a mistake, but not entirely.
You should use the series column instead of collections just as a good habit, but I see no evidence the the Sony Readers even see the Series metadata.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well, I did make a mistake, but not entirely.
You should use the series column instead of collections just as a good habit, but I see no evidence the the Sony Readers even see the Series metadata.
There are two columns Tags and Series. Tags is for books not in a series and Series is for books in a series. The Series column uses numbers to show you what order and when the books are sent to the Sony, the books are put in series order in the collection. Tags is for books not in series and they just go at the end of the list in the collection.

Some use the Series column along with a plugboard to add the series to the filename on send to device.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:11 AM   #8
DoctorM
Groupie

I'm guessing that's a difference between the T2 and T1 then. The T1 does not sort books by series # in a collection.
The only options to sort by are Added Order, Date, Title, Author and File Name.
I also don't find Collections created based on Series name, only Tags.

Last edited by DoctorM; 03-10-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:29 AM   #9
SusieQ100
Enthusiast

I don't use tags at all
Old 03-10-2017, 05:30 AM   #10
SusieQ100
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Don't cross post. You might want to review the Posting Guidelines. I'm going to close the other thread.
Sorry!
Old 03-10-2017, 06:18 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ100 View Post
I don't use tags at all
So you don't read books that are not part of a series that you want in a collections?
Old 03-10-2017, 06:32 PM   #12
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
I'm guessing that's a difference between the T2 and T1 then. The T1 does not sort books by series # in a collection.
The only options to sort by are Added Order, Date, Title, Author and File Name.
I also don't find Collections created based on Series name, only Tags.
It is a long time since I have used my T1 but it definitely creates collections based on series and sorted by series number in that series collection.

For this in the "Sony T1 and Newer Device" plugin my order of the metadata fields is series.tags. For me it made an ordered collection for each series (ordered on #) and a collection for each tag.

So, for example, if the series field is James Bond [#] and tag is Fiction - Spy then there was a collection James Bond sorted by # and the books would appear in the Fiction - Spy collection sorted by whatever the reader sort choice was.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #13
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I have a T1 and a T2 and a T3. They all work the same as to series and tags in calibre. I use both columns. I have no extra plugins except the de-DRM ones.

When I change the sort to "Collections" on the reader, then I see things both by the tags I've created and the series.

For example, I have a Harlequin book in Calibre. It's part of a series. I use the tag Harlequin in that column and the put the series, The Pearl House, in the series column. When I've sorted on my reader by Collections, I will find the book in the Harlequin collection and I will find the book in The Pearl House collection. The reader sorts it out both ways.

That works the same on all of the T series. Actually, it's the same on all of my Sony readers and I currently have a T1, T2, T3, PRS650, PRS700, and PRS900. In the past I had a PRS350 and that was the same also.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:45 AM   #14
DoctorM
Groupie

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're doing, but as I've said, the sort orders available to collections are: Added Order, Date, Title, Author and File Name.
Which one do you use that sorts by the series order?
Old 03-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #15
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
When I change the sort on any of my T series readers from Books to Collections, I get no further sort options at all. My T1 and T3 are updated to the latest firmware but the T2 is not.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote