Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Sigil-0.9.4 Released

Sigil 0.9.4 is now available for download. Sigil-0.9.4 is both a bug fix release and a release to greatly improve epub3 editing and generation all without impacting Sigil's epub2 capabilities.

The main bug fixes are:
  • Prevent the use of zero length key fields when obfuscating fonts
  • IDPF font obfuscation key accepts all input except as specified
  • Fix typo in main.ui accelerator assignment
  • Update Transifex project URL
  • Prevent NCX Weirdness with ampersand added when editing NCX in codeview and TOC widget showing
  • Fix lost namespace attributes on metadata tag
  • Allow auto conversion from package version 1.0 to 2.0
  • Remove unused parameter from gumbo create_text_node
  • Fix bug that hits package version when no xml declaration on opf on import
  • Add id to Heading structure to greatly speed up NCX/TOC creation even more
  • Only the true nav should ever have the nav manifest property set
  • Prevent nav property from being overwritten when updating manifest properties
  • Prevent segfault if user selects add semantics but never chooses one
  • Prevent Add Cover from returning the wrong doctype for epub3
  • Make sure cover-image and svg (if needed) are added as epub3 manifest properties when adding a cover
  • Make sure all referenced resources are found for Delete Unused Media
  • Remap non-standard epub namespace prefixes in the opf to those now reserved for epub3
  • Make loading epubs with broken opf files more robust
  • Better identify the true nav when loading epub3s

The main new features available are:
  • Completely redesigned the MetaEditor gui to work with both epub2 and epub3 metadata
    • Extended epub3 metadata is now supported
    • Added the default metadata language and title for the user
    • Extracted and updated the MarcRelators codes so they can be shared
  • The Nav is now a required part of an epub3
    • Sigil will create an empty one upon import if need be
    • The Nav TOC can now be generated from Book Headings using the normal CreateTOC tool
    • Added support for Adding/Removing Nav Landmarks
    • Similar to the NCX, Nav documents can not be deleted, split, or merged
  • Completely Revamped the BookBrowser interface to support both Guide and Landmark Semantics
    • Created a new Add Semantics Dialog to better handle epub2 and epub3 semantics
    • Both Landmark and Guide Semantics now show up in BookBrowser tooltips
  • Completely Revamped how the dockable TableOfContents gui widget is built and updated
    • Allow dockable Table Of Contents to refresh from Nav under epub3, and NCX under epub2

Be aware that Sigil-0.9.4 still enforces the need for epub3 to have and support an NCX so that it generates as backward a compatible epub as possible. This may be relaxed in future releases.

Sigil-0.9.4 like its predecessor passed all of the following tests for epub3 support: iframe, img, audio, video , mathml, svg (except for svg support in the spine), javascript, and of course recognizing and allowing html5 specific tags like section, and etc. Sigil-0.9.4 also supports javascript based local-storage and display of embedded pdfs.

Our plan for moving forward for epub3 support in future releases:
  • add gui to easily set epub:type semantics on highlighted tags
  • add support to preview fixed layout epubs
  • support for media-overlay (SMIL) playback during preview, and in metadata editing

Download Location
The official location for downloading this Sigil release (and all official releases) is:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/releases/tag/0.9.4

Downloading binaries from anyplace else is simply not a good idea as they could inject anything into their own downloads. After downloading, please verify the downloaded binary exactly matches what was originally posted by running an SHA 256 checksum on the file **before** installing it. See the file Sigil-0.9.4-CHECKSUMS.sha256.txt for the correct checksums for each file and instructions for how to calculate a SHA 256 Checksum for your download. The Mac OS X Package has also been code signed with my Apple Developer signature.

Linux Users
There are currently no binary releases available for Linux on the Sigil Release page. Please check with your favorite distro's software repositories to see if they have Sigil for installation via your OS's package management system. If not, there are build instructions for compiling Sigil yourself in the source archive's docs directory:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/tree/master/docs

Don't forget the FlightCrew plugin
Please note, the epub2 validator FlightCrew has been converted to a plugin for Sigil 0.8.900 and later. This plugin has been updated for Sigil-0.9.3 (and later). It can be downloaded from the official Sigil-Ebook flightcrew repository if you have not already installed it.

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/fligh...ases/tag/0.9.1

Attention Mac OS X Users
Per the recommendation of www.python.org (see https://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/), due to bugs and the age of Apple's internal Tcl library, you should also download and install ActiveState's ActiveTcl Community Edition. To get the latest bug fixes, Sigil-0.9.4's embedded Python has been linked with the very latest version: Tcl 8.6.4.1

We may *not* redistribute this Package with Sigil due to ActiveState's binary non-redistribution policy.

So please, if you have not already done so download and install this version of ActiveState's Active Tcl Community Edition, until we get a chance to do our own build of Tcl 8.6.4.1 from source for future releases. ActiveState is a primary contributor to www.python.org and a respected and trusted source for python and tcl/tk related binaries on both Windows and Mac OS X.

See: http://www.activestate.com/activetcl/downloads
Version: 8.6.4.1

Some Additional things

When you fire up Sigil for the very first time:
  • Navigate to the new General Preferences and select the default
    epub version you plan to work with (epub 2 or epub3) so that new
    empty ebooks start with the correct code.
  • If you plan to work with epub3 epubs, you should change your
    PreserveEntities setting to use ONLY NUMERIC entities.
    For example use & # 1 6 0 ; for non-breaking spaces and etc.
  • We strongly recommend enabling Mend On Open in your settings
    for best performance with Sigil
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:05 AM   #2
sdjskr
sdjskr began at the beginning.

Device: ASUS ME70CX
Thumbs up Sigil is the best tool for an epub editor! but

I have trouble in typing Korean. When typing Korean, the cursor turns into the underbar(_) and even disappears as I strike enter to go next line.

My system is a korean version of Windows 10.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sigil.png
Views:	467
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	147121
Screenshot available here: http://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3vH...ew?usp=sharing

As for the alphabet, it works fine.

and one more, every time I create a "Sectionxxxx.xhtml", I have to insert some code to show Korean in the complete epub.

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="ko">

without (xml:lang="ko"), Sigil produces nothing but just blank pages. If it is combined with some alphabet, only the alphabet appears.

so, I was wondering if there is an option to make a user configured template, if not, why don't you make some option for this?

Sigil lacks a little as to "The International". Except for that, it's a really really best intuitive tool!!

Thank for your job, best regard!!!!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-14-2016 at 06:40 PM.
sdjskr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjskr View Post
I have trouble in typing Korean. When typing Korean, the cursor turns into the underbar(_) and even disappears as I strike enter to go next line.
Do you use the official Microsoft IME to phonetically enter Korean characters or a third party IME?
I don't speak Korean, but when I tested the default Windows 10 IME, I had no problems entering Korean characters phonetically in Book View and Code View.
If you're using a third-party IME, it might not be compatible with Sigil.

Quote:
and one more, every time I create a "Sectionxxxx.xhtml", I have to insert some code to show Korean in the complete epub.

without (xml:lang="ko"), Sigil produces nothing but just blank pages. If it is combined with some alphabet, only the alphabet appears.
I only changed the ePub language to Korean and had no problems with the display of Korean characters without having to use xml:lang="ko".
You might have to change the default fonts in Sigil or reset them to the default settings. (Edit > Preferences > Appearance.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ko_test.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	147111  
Attached Files
File Type: epub ko_test.epub (2.0 KB, 196 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will need a lot more detail ...

1. What versions of Sigil have you tested this with?

2. Are you saying this is a new problem in Sigil-0.9.4?

3. Are you seeing this in Code View or Book View or both?

4. Is your system using any third party / system level input methods?

5. Are you saying you can see nothing in BookView if you do not add the xml:lang attribute or are you saying that some epub readers will not show the text without the xml:lang attribute on the html tag? Technically the xml:lang attribute should not be needed in an epub that has properly set the dc:language metadata in the OPF. It sounds as if it is Sigil itself that will not show the text in Preview or BookView according to your post. If so, I can not recreate that on my Mac OS X build of Sigil.

6. Is this with epub2 or epub3?

Please file an official issue on our github site with this information. Also please include a link in that issue to short sample epub (no commercial epubs) that will demonstrate the missing text without an xml:lang attribute set.

Thanks,

KevinH

Quote:

My system is a korean version of Windows 10.

As for the alphabet, it works fine.

so, I was wondering if there is an option to make a user configured template, if not, why don't you make some option for this?

Sigil lacks a little as to "The International". Except for that, it's a really really best intuitive tool!!

Thank for your job, best regard!!!!
Old 03-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
slowfax
Connoisseur
slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.

Device: miflalmXD
Why can't you give a direct download link to the installer(s)? For non english speakers it is nearly impossible to find a link at the github site.
slowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD

All downloads are at the very bottom of the page.

As to direct download links here at Mobileread: I prefer not to. Many people don't like having file downloads thrust upon them this early in the process. Most like to see what they're getting into (file-size, etc.) before starting the download themselves.

And won't non-english speakers have the same problem coming here and navigating their way to a direct download post?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-14-2016 at 12:20 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer

We do, the following is taken directly from the release announcement:

Download Location
The official location for downloading this Sigil release (and all official releases) is:

All of the links are at the bottom of the page. Please remember to make sure to download and check the sha256 Checksums to make sure your chosen binary has not been tampered with.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfax View Post
Why can't you give a direct download link to the installer(s)? For non english speakers it is nearly impossible to find a link at the github site.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-14-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #8
sdjskr

Smile Typing is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Do you use the official Microsoft IME to phonetically enter Korean characters or a third party IME?
I don't speak Korean, but when I tested the default Windows 10 IME, I had no problems entering Korean characters phonetically in Book View and Code View.
If you're using a third-party IME, it might not be compatible with Sigil.

I only changed the ePub language to Korean and had no problems with the display of Korean characters without having to use xml:lang="ko".
You might have to change the default fonts in Sigil or reset them to the default settings. (Edit > Preferences > Appearance.)
Hi, I am afraid you got me wrong.

I am using the official IME, and I am not talking about the display in Sigil editor. I am talking about the blinking cursor that disappears when I strike Enter while typing Korean. I can type Korean.

The blinking cursor DISAPPEARS!

Previous versions also have the same problem.

Secondly, I am talking about the final epub file produced by Sigil without the additional xml tag. I can type Korean without changing the setting.

Thank you anyway.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
sdjskr

I am talking about the blinking cursor's behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I will need a lot more detail ...

1. What versions of Sigil have you tested this with?
Current new released verson as well as previous versions.

2. Are you saying this is a new problem in Sigil-0.9.4?
No, previous versions also have the same problem.

In Book View

4. Is your system using any third party / system level input methods?
No, it is an official Korean Window. Default Setting.

5. Are you saying you can see nothing in BookView if you do not add the xml:lang attribute or are you saying that some epub readers will not show the text without the xml:lang attribute on the html tag? Technically the xml:lang attribute should not be needed in an epub that has properly set the dc:language metadata in the OPF. It sounds as if it is Sigil itself that will not show the text in Preview or BookView according to your post. If so, I can not recreate that on my Mac OS X build of Sigil.

Yes I am talking about the final epub that is produced by the editor. Not the editor itself. Without the tag, nothing is showing on page when it should have shown all Korean paragraphs. Adobe Editions shows just blank pages. When it comes to English, it works fine

6. Is this with epub2 or epub3?
Both

Please file an official issue on our github site with this information. Also please include a link in that issue to short sample epub (no commercial epubs) that will demonstrate the missing text without an xml:lang attribute set.

Thanks,

KevinH
The blinking cursor just disappears whenever Enter is pushed as I type Korean in book view.

Thank You!!!
Old 03-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi sdjskr,

Quote:
In Book View
That is strange. CodeView input works perfectly but BookView editing has a cursor problem but only when "enter" is pressed, is that correct? Does switching from CodeView and back to BookView impact the problem?

Quote:
5. Are you saying you can see nothing in BookView if you do not add the xml:lang attribute or are you saying that some epub readers will not show the text without the xml:lang attribute on the html tag?

Yes I am talking about the final epub that is produced by the editor. Not the editor itself. Without the tag, nothing is showing on page when it should have shown all Korean paragraphs. Adobe Editions shows just blank pages. When it comes to English, it works fine
Then that is a bug in the Adobe Editions reader as only standalone html files need the xml:lang setting. What version are you using? Have you validated your epub in FlightCrew or epubcheck? Do you have the proper dc:language tag set in your OPF metadata?

KevinH

Edit:

Will you please open a blank epub in Sigil and go to BookView and start typing Korean and hit enter. Repeat as needed until the cursor disappears. Then immediately after the cursor disappears save the epub as is (do not move back to CodeView) and post that resulting buggy epub for me.

I should be able to open it and examine exactly what unicode character code is being generated when you hit enter by looking at it in a hex editor.

Thanks

Last edited by KevinH; 03-14-2016 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Added Request for a bug sample
Old 03-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #11
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thanks!

(Just wanted to let you to know that it compiled very nicely on Linux Mint. I didn't have to set "lib-path" as I did with 0.9.3 (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=39)).
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Thanks!

(Just wanted to let you to know that it compiled very nicely on Linux Mint. I didn't have to set "lib-path" as I did with 0.9.3 (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=39)).
Glad to hear it!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:36 AM   #13
sdjskr

Wink This video tells everything. I'm sending a file as you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi sdjskr,

That is strange. CodeView input works perfectly but BookView editing has a cursor problem but only when "enter" is pressed, is that correct? Does switching from CodeView and back to BookView impact the problem?

Then that is a bug in the Adobe Editions reader as only standalone html files need the xml:lang setting. What version are you using? Have you validated your epub in FlightCrew or epubcheck? Do you have the proper dc:language tag set in your OPF metadata?

KevinH

Edit:

Will you please open a blank epub in Sigil and go to BookView and start typing Korean and hit enter. Repeat as needed until the cursor disappears. Then immediately after the cursor disappears save the epub as is (do not move back to CodeView) and post that resulting buggy epub for me.

I should be able to open it and examine exactly what unicode character code is being generated when you hit enter by looking at it in a hex editor.

Thanks
Hi, again!!!

At first, I wrote some Korean and Alphabet in a notepad to demonstrate how the cursor turns into. As of Sigil editor, I cannot see where I am typing because of the missing cursor as soon as I hit Enter. It's kind of frustrating.

https://youtu.be/yRyjTxIQ2dQ

I expect that to be solved soon! best regard!!!!
Attached Files
File Type: epub untitled.epub (1.8 KB, 180 views)
Old 03-17-2016, 04:31 AM   #14
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Hi,

using the new metadata editor i'm getting an opf:scheme marc:relators attribute all the time when editing the creator metadata. As far as i know this is only necessary for epub3. Why is it inserted even if i'm editing an epub2 book?

//rubeus
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:13 AM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer

opf:scheme is the proper way to handle epub2 when assigning a marc:relators role for dc creator or dc contributor. vIt has always been added under epub2 to the opf metadata. bThe new gui just is showing you what is actually going on. epub3 does not allow it and forces you to use meta property refines for role and unprefixed scheme.
KevinH