Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Psywind
Brick Master
Psywind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT Android
Something Wrong During Duokan Install (Noobish Warning)

Hello Peeps,

So, I tried to install the latest version of Duokan, and after hours of searching, I found what I thought was the guide to doing so. Here is the link I found: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39726752/Duo...e%204%20NT.pdf . I was trying to follow the advice I found on this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...47#post1924147 , and I was doing so under the assumption that I did not need to jailbreak my kindle 4 NT. The install I was trying to do is this: (k4 None Touch and k4 black)2012-11-23.18095.rtm .

Things went wrong, let me explain. First off, I had to dig through the package to find the file ENABLE_DIAG. I then copped it and other stuff to root on my Kindle. I got to step six and discovered that I needed something called: duokantool. So, I downloaded that and ran it. Now I am stuck on step six. Type 1 askes for a PW, and Type 2 starts then does nothing. It has been well over an hour now and no reboot. What do?

What are my options?
Psywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
LET ME SAY THIS FIRST: I Don't use Duokan, I have never installed it, just looking for clarification.

Okay that said. Also: You might consider putting future questions about Duokan on the relevant thread. Then people who know stuff will get a notification.

The files:

The ENABLE_DIAGS file is just a blank file. in the future you can just make a blank one
(on linux touch ENABLE_DIAGS)
(on kindle touch /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS)

You say you made it to step 6. so you have your networking all setup (nice one) in DIAGS via usbnet.

Step 6 says:

Quote:
6. IP configuration, perform jailbreak, install DuoKan:
6.1 Open the package with the DuoKanTool.exe, enter the recorded
Kindle serial number;
6.2 Select Kindle Type drop-down list the type, such as Type 1, click
Install, Note: tif he installation is successful, the command line
dialog box will close automatically. If Access Denied, please
turn off the command line, re-select another Type, and then click Install.
I don't understand what type one and type two are to be honest.

nor do I understand what the access denied message means?

However. Since the System_DK files were dumped on FAT (IIRC I did look at the install once) the only risk is that in some way the installer craps up your kindles main system.

I would have to know more about what the installer actually "does" - as in end product.
does it just completely replace the 4's main OS?

I see a splash screen - is there not a selection mechanism (like long pressing the home button or something that will allow bypassing a corrupted install?)

I guess the options are

a) figure out exactly what the installer changed (an exact copy of your system before the install would be been handy for doing a side by side for example) and roll them back before a reboot remotely - let's assume you don't have that. nor can you.

b) just kill the process (either by power, or remote) and see what a reboot brings. (possibly total death - I have no idea) and see if maybe you can invoke a kindle startup script before a reboot. have a dig around see if any files are updated recently (check the date for example on folders) if you are golden, then reboot.

c) keep waiting (this seems futile after this length of time), try to get in remotely in the interim and use HTOP or TOP to see if the process is actually hung... then kill it.
repeat above process.

These are the things I would do for any seriously critical situation like that.

Not Duokan specific. HTH.

Last edited by twobob; 11-27-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: ENABLE_DIAGS
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
Psywind
Brick Master
Psywind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT Android
Thanks for the response.

I was able to back out of the install process and disable diags, and thus, I did a restart on the kindle.

However, I am still at a loss on how to install Duokan for better PDF support and reading epub files. It is a real shame Amazon will not let you read them, and I should not have to convert my ebooks ether.

There is a 50+ post thread on Duokan here ( on the Kindle Developer's Corner) that spans two years of time. Where is a better place to post if not here for help?

I guess I will just post in that thread.

Last edited by Psywind; 11-27-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Psywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

err. just use PDFviewer and Hacked up reader.

Job done
Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #5
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psywind View Post
Thanks for the response.

There is a 50+ post thread on Duokan here ( on the Kindle Developer's Corner) that spans two years of time. Where is a better place to post if not here for help?

I guess I will just post in that thread.
In that thread? So people get notified...
(you can setup thread notifications you know!)

: )

HTH. people say the pdf reader is not as good as PDFviewer. FWIW
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
KindlePDFviewer does not work on K4/K5/KPW (yet), however.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
twobob

Hmm... it is just because there is no build for it?
I should have a look at that really at some point then.

Must dredge up a 4!

Thanks Hawhill
Old 11-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I was a bit terse: Reason is that KindlePDFviewer is veeeeery keyboard-centric as it is. There's a major rewrite underway that introduces a new approach to the GUI and is intended to also work on other devices without a (full) keyboard. But that is a long-term project - it won't happen very soon.

Since there are not much external dependencies (we're including everything in the build, except the glibc), the binary of kindlevncviewer runs perfectly well on the newer Kindles, too. Doesn't help much without input capability, though...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
twobob

Got you. well. with the advent of OTG USB for 4 devices I don't see a long term problem.

: ) but, yep a software solution would be great. As you know I am tussling with the TS right now. perhaps something will occur that is fairly general. but yeah I see your point.

OTG usb seems like a good solution assuming someone could proof of concept it up.

Thanks for the extra info