Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
Change uppercase to mixed case

I have a bunch of names in all caps:
Code:
JOHN DOE
PEA TEAR GRIFFON
AARON A. AARONSON
What I'm trying to do is change those to mixed case:
Code:
John Doe
Pea Tear Griffon
Aaron A. Aaronson
these are all individually nested in between <h2> tags, so it's easy enough to identify them (<h2>(.*?)</h2>), the problem is in make the mixed case change.

Any ideas?
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Search for: ([A-Z])([A-Z]{1,})
Replace by: \1\L\2
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Find: (?<=\b\p{Lu})([^\s]+)(?=[^<>]*</h2>)
Replace: \L\1\E

Will pretty much title case anything between <h2></h2>.
It probably won't work if you have embedded <span>, <b>, <i>, or <br /> stuff between the <h2> tags, but other than that, it's fairly fool-proof.

EDIT: Fool-proof for stuff that's ALL CAPS to begin with, that is.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-10-2012 at 05:42 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Would you please explain:
\p
{Lu}

I looked in my books and in the Python-doc, but i didn't find those two parts of the statement.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Thank you both. I'm curious, is \p{L} (and its variants) now considered the preferred syntax for [A-Za-z] (and its variants)?
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
ElMiko
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
Would you please explain:
\p
{Lu}

I looked in my books and in the Python-doc, but i didn't find those two parts of the statement.
sorry for the double post, but from what I was able to gather from here, the \p{} expression matches all unicode characters of a particular class. In this case, the {Lu} is for matching lowercase letters.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

\p{L} or \p{Letter} or \pL is any unicode letter character. It will match things like Á or ö (as well as the "normal" [A-Za-z]).

\p{Lu} or \p{Uppercase_Letter} is an uppercase unicode letter character.
\p{Ll} or \p{Lowercase_Letter} is a lowercase unicode letter character

http://www.regular-expressions.info/unicode.html

I use \p{L) and its variants simply because I got tired of screwing up books that contained unicode characters where I least expected them. It's just a personal preference of mine to try and think in terms of unicode as much as possible.

I believe you can also prefix your regex expressions with (*UCP) to make them "unicode aware."
Old 06-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
\p{L} or \p{Letter} or \pL is any unicode letter character. It will match things like Á or ö (as well as the "normal" [A-Za-z]).
Thanks for the info and the links to you and ElMiko
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I tested the above RE with both the latest Sigil Version and the Beta and it didn't find:

Code:
<h2>AARON A. AARONSON</h2>
Far be it from me to doubt your expertise in this matter, but are you 100% sure that the Sigil PCRE engine supports the \p(Lu) metacharacter? According to PCRE man pages, support for \P, \p, and \X requires a special compile option and \X doesn't seem to work either.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I've not tried the beta version, but yes... I use \p{L} and it's variants all the time in v0.5.3. The PCRE regex engine definitely supports it.

And I have no idea what might be different, but:
Code:
(?<=\b\p{Lu})([^\s]+)(?=[^<>]*</h2>)
finds:
Code:
<h2>AARON A. AARONSON</h2>
just fine in my installation of 0.5.3 and:
Code:
\L\1\E
and clicking "Replace All" (or stepping through one word at a time) changes it to:
Code:
<h2>Aaron A. Aaronson</h2>
It worked for all three test cases presented. I just double-checked again, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you.

EDIT: Oh, and it doesn't match the WHOLE of <h2>AARON A. AARONSON</h2>, but rather it matches each capitalized word one at a time.
EDIT2: you are correct that it doesn't work in the beta--at least it doesn't with my built-from-source-on-ubuntu-64-bit version. I hope that's a simple fix (or already a known bug).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-10-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:54 AM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It worked for all three test cases presented. I just double-checked again, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you.
I just tested your regular expression with the current Linux version and it works just fine. Since I'm using an x32 Windows machine, most likely the optional PCRE Unicode library wasn't included in the x32 Windows builds.
Hopefully, this will be fixed in the next official Windows release.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I just tested your regular expression with the current Linux version and it works just fine. Since I'm using an x32 Windows machine, most likely the optional PCRE Unicode library wasn't included in the x32 Windows builds.
Hopefully, this will be fixed in the next official Windows release.
That's very likely in the case of the beta version, but just so we're on the same page... that regex works for me on the WIndows (32-bit) current version (0.5.3).
Old 06-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's very likely in the case of the beta version, but just so we're on the same page... that regex works for me on the WIndows (32-bit) current version (0.5.3).
I guess there must have been something wrong with my Qt or GTK versions or another system library file. I just installed the latest version of GIMP and for some odd reason your regular expression works now. (It still doesn't work in the beta, though.)
Old 06-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #14
ElMiko
Addict

I'm back for more sweet, sweet Sigil forum goodness...

Is there a way to apply mixed case to the entire string between the <h2> tags without cycling through each individual word and without clicking a "replace all". I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the algorithm the calibre uses to modify titles to Title Case in its Bulk Edit Metadata dialogue, and whether it would be applicable in this circumstance...
Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is there a way to apply mixed case to the entire string between the <h2> tags without cycling through each individual word and without clicking a "replace all".
Oh, you mean like a magic rexep?

Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the algorithm the calibre uses to modify titles to Title Case in its Bulk Edit Metadata dialogue, and whether it would be applicable in this circumstance...
I'm almost certain it works on a word-by-word basis too. It just goes on behind the scenes, so you don't realize it. You'll probably have to wait until Sigil has a third-party plugin system of some kind before the kind of feature you're envisioning would be feasible.