Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 04:13 AM   #121
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
JKR has Tom Clancy disease. Tom Clancy disease is when you are so popular you think (and in fact you can, to the detriment of the book) blow off your editor, or pick a weak one.

Main telltale symptom: books proceed from breakthrough novel and sequel of normal page count. Further additions to the series and other new books get progressively longer, when a good editor would have cut out all the fat and kept the story tight and moving. I dropped out of both JKR and Clancy around book 4 or 5. Compare against the LOTR trilogy: a six-part work in three books, each of approximately equal length.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:48 AM   #122
Xoanon
Enthusiast
Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
Further additions to the series and other new books get progressively longer, when a good editor would have cut out all the fat and kept the story tight and moving.
I always thought the perceived wisdom in publishing was that it was supposed to be children who suffered from having short attention spans, not adults? Yet ironically it seems that it's always mainly adults who complain about the length of modern children's books (even before they've read them, half the time).
Xoanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #123
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoanon View Post
I always thought the perceived wisdom in publishing was that it was supposed to be children who suffered from having short attention spans, not adults? Yet ironically it seems that it's always mainly adults who complain about the length of modern children's books (even before they've read them, half the time).
In the first instance, one could argue, the issue is the child's failure to concentrate. In the second, it's the adult's familiarity with the structure and idea of the novel and wanting to focus on those and not aspects that have come to seem cliché.

The question might be whether the asides, descriptive passages and inessential complications add to the aesthetic enjoyment of the book; whether the quality of the insight and style are sufficient to make them worth including.

Celine used to brag about cutting careful descriptions and inaction out of his books. "They say, 'he knits a nice sentence.' Me, I say it's unreadable."
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #124
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
JKR has Tom Clancy disease. Tom Clancy disease is when you are so popular you think (and in fact you can, to the detriment of the book) blow off your editor, or pick a weak one.

Main telltale symptom: books proceed from breakthrough novel and sequel of normal page count. Further additions to the series and other new books get progressively longer, when a good editor would have cut out all the fat and kept the story tight and moving. I dropped out of both JKR and Clancy around book 4 or 5. Compare against the LOTR trilogy: a six-part work in three books, each of approximately equal length.
Compared to Clancy, JKR is Ernest Hemingway. Not that she wouldn't have benefited from a heavier editorial hand, perhaps. But it's really hard to argue with success. And, on that note, LOTR could have used some heavy editing in places, too. Not to make it shorter, particularly, but JRRT is pretty inconsistent as a writer: he deals with fight scenes very well (Moria; Minas Tirith) - the pacing is great, the descriptions clear, the tension high - and he can maintain this for dozens of pages. Some of his non-fighting writing is also quite good - the Birthday party, Rivendell, the Scourging of the Shire. But a lot of his writing isn't tight; it's unfocused and would have benefited from an editor to bring things into focus and tighten them up. (Although at the time he wrote this, I wonder whether any editor would have been able to do that properly - it wasn't like there was anything else out there to use for a comparison).
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #125
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgonseyes View Post
No way the price will be anything over $12! Even that is insane for an ebook...
I was at B&N today and noticed a new Arthur Conan Doyle book that is published for the first time... it was the first novel he ever wrote (at the age of 23) and was never finished. It was very thin and probably came in at only 100-150 pages. Guess how much the Nook version is... $14.50! For a book written 130 years ago, that was unfinished and can be read in a couple hours.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2012, 02:48 AM   #126
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoanon View Post
So I have a short attention span and haven't read the books? Since you don't know me, all i can say about your point one is that your are mistaken. One the second part, I did not read beyond the the book where i decided I had had enough superfluous verbosity and irrlevant discussions and events. Especially seeing the next one was even longer.

First with Clancy, then with Rowling. I don't know the cause: maybe being able to insist on a longer "author's cut", or not having time to make it shorter (tighten the prose and story) due to th need to publish to stay on the best seller lists, etc. Something happened, to the detriment of the later books.

Of course this is reading the books with some attention and observation, not just using them as time-passing fodder. I imagine the later ones work fine if that is one's reading preference. This is my preference at times as well - for example, I just read the Hunger Games trilogy. I thought highly enough of both authors' early works to be disappointed by the evolution.

Perhaps that is my issue: I had high expectations based on the early works that, to me, the later books did not fulfull.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #127
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
So you will obviously be reading Ms. Rowling's new work when it comes out, to see if she has "corrected" any of the problems you found in the early stuff ?

Especially as it is a new..."genre" ... for her ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #128
derangedhermit
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
So you will obviously be reading Ms. Rowling's new work when it comes out, to see if she has "corrected" any of the problems you found in the early stuff ?

Especially as it is a new..."genre" ... for her ?
No, my belief based on observation is that the disease is incurable. If it is less than 300 pages and gets rave reviews, I might consider it eventually, if the story line seems special.

It's not a matter of "corrected". She's able now to produce what she wants, fairly free of restraints or money concerns. Obviously there is a huge demand for what she generates. From that view, nothing needs correcting. She does what she likes, and the money rolls in. She is / has a "franchise."

It just leaves me uninterested; I thought, based on the first two Potter books, there was a good chance the original books would become classics, albiet minor ones; rather than short-term sensations.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #129
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
One man's meat .....

Quote:
No, my belief based on observation is that the disease is incurable. If it is less than 300 pages and gets rave reviews, I might consider it eventually, if the story line seems special.
It's not a matter of "corrected". She's able now to produce what she wants, fairly free of restraints or money concerns. Obviously there is a huge demand for what she generates. From that view, nothing needs correcting. She does what she likes, and the money rolls in. She is / has a "franchise."
It just leaves me uninterested; I thought, based on the first two Potter books, there was a good chance the original books would become classics, albiet minor ones; rather than short-term sensations.
Fair enough - although I can't help thinking that the story line already sounds at least interesting; although that may be a little parochial of me ?
I know I'd have to at least consider a story by, say, James Lee Burke, even if it was (on the surface at least) apparently about small-town politics in Louisiana .......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #130
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I was interested in her new book until I checked out the prices As an Australian shopping on Amazon I will be paying $24.34 over $6 more than the the same book on US amazon meanwhile I can go down to my local Big W and get it in hardcover for $20 when will Aussie publishers get a clue!
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #131
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:

That's your opinion on it. Personally, I preferred the later books, and was disappointed by some of the story lines dropped in the movies. Also, Harry Potter was structured so the reading level would be on par with the age Harry was. The first one is perfectly suitable for a 11 year old, but book 7 I'd not recommend at all for someone that age. The people who first read the book more or less grew with Harry as the books were released. LOTR, the reading level stayed stagnate.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #132
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
of course it's aimed at adults. Her fanbase has grown (though not much).

Next you're telling me it's another fantasy novel too.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #133
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
I was at B&N today and noticed a new Arthur Conan Doyle book that is published for the first time... it was the first novel he ever wrote (at the age of 23) and was never finished. It was very thin and probably came in at only 100-150 pages. Guess how much the Nook version is... $14.50! For a book written 130 years ago, that was unfinished and can be read in a couple hours.
that's great news for his heirs. Free cocaine for another 70 years at least.

perhaps some of his grandsons finished the novel akin to Chris Tolkien?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #134
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

I believe LotR was just one epic tome broken into 3 books for practical reasons.

One writer who suffers from lengthenitis is Elizabeth George. Her Lynley books keep getting longer and longer and more exhausting. If you look at her amazon listing, her star ratings keep going down. Her editor needs to step in and read her the riot act.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:33 AM   #135
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Amazing difference between Amazon and B&N price

The price of the book on Amazon is 8.55$ and B&N Nook version is 17.99$
Logic?
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote