Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 03:48 PM   #31
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post

We are not dealing with a small outfit here...this is Amazon we are talking about. They give you ebooks and they store them for you on their server. Now, let's assume you buy the Kindle V2 next year, then I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to use your old books again. Amazon would make sure of that.

I would think so too. Amazons Unbox video service for television shows does this. I have purchased programs from them, deleted them and re-downloaded them with no extra charge. I would think that it would be the same with their Kindle service.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #32
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
@mores: It's not about the "you can't do it".
There should be no need to break a law - however senseless it might be. And telling that an illegal option really negates all those negative points (strict drm etc) .. It just is not an option.

Oh and: However positive your view of Amazon might be - there is NO warranty that they will keep to their kindle format.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #33
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
One of the common uses people bring up for ebook readers is to bring reading material along on travel, particularly on plane flights.

But with the EVDO on this device, would they allow you to use it on a plane?

Just a random thought...
Yes. The EVDO has it's own on/off switch.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:52 PM   #34
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrnt1 View Post
I already own an iLiad, but would consider the Kindle for the additional content and instant wireless. However, I own 40 Mobipocket-DRM books. Not having access to them makes the Kindle a complete no-go for me. It's a shame, since I love Amazon. I'm an Amazon Prime member and buy a lot of stuff from their site.
Part of me is tempted by the Kindle for that same reason. I've been a regular, happy customer of Amazon since the early days. I'm a Prime member. I've hardly bought a birthday or xmas present for anyone anywhere other than Amazon in years. I'm really saddened by their decision here to make it so restrictive. I'm looking at the feature set and the content and it even makes me willing to overlook the ugly. That thing would be on it's way to me right now (with my beloved $3.99 Amazon Prime overnight shipping) if I didn't feel like they were trying to lock me down.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #35
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Alisa, everything you've been saying in your posts is echoing my thoughts.

I LOVE Amazon and buy tons of stuff from them--not just books but movies, music, Amazon Unbox, electronics, clothes, all kinds of stuff, and I am tempted by this device but so disappointed with the restrictions. I'd like to think at some future time they may go away, the way DRM did for iTunes, but do I want to take that chance?

Last edited by MaggieScratch; 11-19-2007 at 03:58 PM.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #36
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle View Post
Perhaps the real problem is that there *isn't* an ebook equivalent of MP3. So far, PDF, TXT, and mobi have been proposed, but none of those are nearly as universal as MP3, and they each have their own problems.
Come on, guys. The real ebook equivalent of MP3 is HTML, which is why PG is using it. It is usable on nearly every computer and handheld available, though some do it really well with lots of features, and some are very basic (my mac ebook reader software (Tofu) even allows me to reformat and saves my place when I close it). The only devices you expect to read it and don't are the Sony ones, which force you to convert HTML files -- that sounds a lot like Sony's approach to MP3 on their early music players as I recall. It just extends the metaphor.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #37
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
One of the common uses people bring up for ebook readers is to bring reading material along on travel, particularly on plane flights.

But with the EVDO on this device, would they allow you to use it on a plane?

Just a random thought...
It would be subject to the same paranoid delusions of "you're gonna crash us" as any other electronic device>
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #38
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post
Come on, guys. The real ebook equivalent of MP3 is HTML, which is why PG is using it. It is usable on nearly every computer and handheld available, though some do it really well with lots of features, and some are very basic (my mac ebook reader software (Tofu) even allows me to reformat and saves my place when I close it). The only devices you expect to read it and don't are the Sony ones, which force you to convert HTML files -- that sounds a lot like Sony's approach to MP3 on their early music players as I recall. It just extends the metaphor.

Jack
HTML by itself is not good enough, you need the ability to embed images for instance, which really means some sort of container format.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #39
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I just noticed that they now have "91,269" kindle books on now. Just the sheer number of books that they will end up having should drive competition. I think that this will make the publishers realize that their IS a market for ebooks. So I think the Amazon is a good thing, the DRM situation will work itself out eventually. Hopefully.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #40
JerryEF
JerryEF is on a distinguished road

Device: DellX51v / Amazon Kindle
May be the best thing to happen to e-books...

While I agree with many of the points initially raised, I suspect that this may be the best thing to happen to ebooks. One of the several reasons that ebooks have not been more successful is they require certain amount of computer competence to get everything working correctly. While this may all have been a major non-event for those of us who are computer savvy. For the average guy on the street who has a hard enough time keeping up with his email and web browsing software, it has been too much to expect. Along comes Amazon with a (pub-ugly) device that makes the ebook purchasing process a simple and seamless process. The ipod experience showed us that it is possible to simplify a process that had been way too out there for the average Joe. Amazon, I hope, will do the same for ebooks.

The DRM issues drive me nuts too. On the other hand, my wire, sister, children, in-laws and most of my friends have no idea what DRMs, PDFs, PRCs or .ePubs are and don’t really care to know. They have seen me reading with various dedicated and non-dedicated ebook readers over the years and have been intrigued. Limited titles (becoming lass and less of an issue as time has moved on), and technical silliness have kept all of them stuck in the 19th and 20th century paper books. Some of them have made the leap to ipods because the process was made very simple by Apple.

My wife is waiting to see my Kindle to show up (tomorrow!!!) and she may be willing to join in if it is all as advertised. She had no questions about PDF compatibility, DRM or other geeky crap that many of focus on. She wanted to know if she could get many of the books on the Oprah list. She buys books now on Amazon with one-click and loves it. I showed her the new Kindle format on the book pages and how she would only have to OneClick on it and the book would magically appear on her ebook reader. If it is that simple, and Amazon can keep get the publishers to provide more and more books in eformat, this simplicity will sell the concept. We can only all prey that eventually Amazon will release a version that is a little easier on the eye, and maybe more open to other formats … but, hopefully, that may only be a concern for those of that may then turn out to be on the fringe.
JerryEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #41
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryEF View Post
While I agree with many of the points initially raised, I suspect that this may be the best thing to happen to ebooks. <Remainder removed for brevity's sake>
Well said. I agree completely.
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #42
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryEF View Post
While I agree with many of the points initially raised, I suspect that this may be the best thing to happen to ebooks. One of the several reasons that ebooks have not been more successful is they require certain amount of computer competence to get everything working correctly. While this may all have been a major non-event for those of us who are computer savvy. For the average guy on the street who has a hard enough time keeping up with his email and web browsing software, it has been too much to expect....
I agree with your post totally. Us techies may complain, but the average joe user can just click on a book, and read it without having to get on the computer. The ease of use is a great thing. The first think my girlfriend asked was if she had to do all the "conversion thingies" to read a book on here--she's seen me have to do that for my Sony.

I told her no and that she could shop right from the device. Now she wants one--this is the market they are appealing to, not us.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #43
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
LOL @ "pub-ugly". So how many beers will it take for this to be "pub-beautiful"?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #44
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@JerryEF
You raise a good point, however, I think the amazon kindle is going to be a far greater thing for Amazon ebooks than ebooks in general. Indeed, it's likely to adversely impact the cause of e-books simply from the fact that they are refusing to standardize on an ebook format, which means more pain for people producing ebooks and people consuming ebooks.

Sure, it will raise the visibility of ebooks, but I think ebooks were going to succeed even without Amazon and in the long run, they are simply delaying the day when the tower of babel can be collapsed, all to make a fast buck. And then they wax pompous about how they are ushering in the greatest revolution in book reading since gutenberg.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:28 PM   #45
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
LOL @ "pub-ugly". So how many beers will it take for this to be "pub-beautiful"?
heh, a lot.

But having the design explained to us clears up a lot. Its thicker on one end and tapered on another to feel like you are holding a paperback. The keyboard is ment to be out of the way during reading, but provide note taking and searching features when needed.
-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote