Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #46
Breed92014
Enthusiast
Breed92014 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Smile

It appears to have been fixed again, as of Feb 1st. Thank goodness!
Breed92014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #47
BobbyVan
Enthusiast
BobbyVan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Working on my end also!

Whew...

BobbyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #48
Marty398
Marty398 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
But you don't need to turn off Personal Document Archiving for other personal documents.

This seems like a completely different problem. With periodicals emailed from Calibre, you cannot touch and hold the title and have the menu pop up at all. (The problem doesn't exist for news automatically uploaded by USB.)

Last edited by Marty398; 02-02-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Marty398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #49
BobbyVan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty398 View Post
But you don't need to turn off Personal Document Archiving for other personal documents.

This seems like a completely different problem. With periodicals emailed from Calibre, you cannot touch and hold the title and have the menu pop up at all. (The problem doesn't exist for news automatically uploaded by USB.)
Actually, I CAN delete periodicals emailed from Calibre by touching and holding the title. Turning off archiving did the trick for me.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #50
vanj
vanj began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyVan View Post
Actually, I CAN delete periodicals emailed from Calibre by touching and holding the title. Turning off archiving did the trick for me.
Periodical format works for me too (Kindle Touch, version 5.0.3), yay, thanks to Amazon for quickly fixing what they broke.

Question - Periodical formatting still appears to be different from "true" periodicals. In other words, even though my crofflr digest shows up formatted as a Periodical, the home page (or any collection I add it to) still lists multiple digests without showing the date next to them. As a result, they all look the same making it very difficult to pick the right one, especially since they keep moving around as per the Sort By/Most Recent First setting (kinda weird that the "most recent" appears to be interpreted as "most recently opened" instead of the more common "most recent date")

Any ideas on how to get KT to show the date next to the item?

Thanks
vanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #51
nelson1379
Enthusiast
nelson1379 began at the beginning.

Quote:
In other words, even though my crofflr digest shows up formatted as a Periodical, the home page (or any collection I add it to) still lists multiple digests without showing the date next to them.
I've also observed this, and it's a little annoying.
nelson1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #52
BobbyVan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson1379 View Post
I've also observed this, and it's a little annoying.
The latest release of Calibre includes this bug fix:

"Fix metadata plugboards not applied when auto sending news by email"

I haven't played w/ this feature yet, but it looks like you can setup a plugboard to automatically insert a timestamp into the title of the periodical... Seems like it should work.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #53
Marty398

Quote:
Confirmed that it's working that way for me too. But other documents I do like to archive, so this is cumbersome at best.

Quote:
The latest release of Calibre includes this bug fix:

"Fix metadata plugboards not applied when auto sending news by email"

I haven't played w/ this feature yet, but it looks like you can setup a plugboard to automatically insert a timestamp into the title of the periodical... Seems like it should work.
Should we really need to do this? It isn't needed when uploading by USB. So it seems like an Amazon thing, not a format or content thing.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #54
BobbyVan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty398 View Post
Should we really need to do this? It isn't needed when uploading by USB. So it seems like an Amazon thing, not a format or content thing.
They're two totally different things, and I don't think this one is Amazon's fault.

For me anyway, "calibre" is listed as the "author" of the periodical when it's sent by email; whereas the publication date is listed as the "author" of the periodical when it's uploaded via USB. But for books sent by Calibre over email, the author is the actual author (as opposed to "calibre").

So we should be asking Calibre to fix its metadata settings for emailed news periodicals... but in the meantime, we can play with the plugboards (I think) so we don't have 10 copies of the "New York Times" without knowing which is which...
Old 02-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #55
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
They're two totally different things, and I don't think this one is Amazon's fault.
Yes, it is amazon's fault. The metadata for books sent via email and via usb is indentical. Amazon broke emailling recently, so that periodicals sent via email are not recognized as periodicals, which is why the Kindle no longer displays the publish date instead of the author.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #56
BobbyVan
Enthusiast

I guess that settles it!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #57
sjk9
sjk9 began at the beginning.

Can y'all confirm that sending mobi documents from Calibre, Kindlefeeder, Instapaper, and Readability to the Kindle Touch has been fixed?

I have no problems with my K3. Everything shows up with the "Sections & Articles" index page. However, if I get a Kindle Touch, will everything appear the same? Based on the most recent posts, it sounds like it works for some sources but not all.

Can anyone confirm that the formatting issue has been resolved or is it still an issue?

Thank you for your help.
sjk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #58
Breed92014
Enthusiast
Breed92014 is on a distinguished road

There is still a problem. The sections and articles now do appear in the Touch, but sometimes the Touch freezes up when I want to read a description. The only way to get out of it is a reboot. I thought it was fixed for a while, but alas, it is still happening. All is ok if I don't click on a description of a book.
Breed92014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #59
Locarno
Locarno began at the beginning.

I've had no freezing problems with the Kindle Touch, but I am dissatisified that the Touch is so slow sometimes. The Touch UI is not as good as I thought it owuld be--the responsiveness is a problem, and my finger smudges sometimes impede reading. Stick with your K3 if you have one, the upgrade isn't enough to justify it; if buying a Kindle, consider if the simple Kindle would be a better choice.
Locarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #60
Marty398

I haven't had freezing problems for a long time until yesterday. Had to reboot.

Publications sent by USB seem to always be formatted right, but not if sent by email. I think that is still a problem. Amazon asked that I call when I complained, but I've not been available to do so. Hopefully next week.

Tags
fetch news, kindle touch, magazines, news, table of contents