Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Unhappy Dead Kindle

Woke up this a.m. after leaving my Kindle in sleep mode with the wireless on. The Kindle was completely powered down. Didn't think much of it, thought maybe the battery had run down. Plugged it and it wouldn't start up. So I did a hard reset. It seemed to work so I left it to charge while I did my morning routine.

Just came back and the Kindle is dead. Tried another reset and it didn't work. Screen blinked a few times and nada. I have to wait until 6 am PST to call customer support.

I'm trying to remain neutral but I've been fortunate enough to never have an expensive device die so soon.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
So what happened

To your Dead KINDLE? I am intrigued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Woke up this a.m. after leaving my Kindle in sleep mode with the wireless on. The Kindle was completely powered down. Didn't think much of it, thought maybe the battery had run down. Plugged it and it wouldn't start up. So I did a hard reset. It seemed to work so I left it to charge while I did my morning routine.

Just came back and the Kindle is dead. Tried another reset and it didn't work. Screen blinked a few times and nada. I have to wait until 6 am PST to call customer support.

I'm trying to remain neutral but I've been fortunate enough to never have an expensive device die so soon.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
In my personal experience with most electronic items they either die in the first month or they don't die for years. For example, my first DVD player, a $600 item back in the early days (1998), died after four days. It's replacement still works today.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only thing out of the ordinary is that the SD card installed in the Kindle stopped working yesterday afternoon. Removed it, installed it in my Palm to see if it was readable and the card is bad. The bad SD card made my Palm go into a soft reboot loop. Turned off the Palm and removed the card. Installed a different SD card in the Kindle, the one I received with my Palm and it worked fine. I'm sure it's possible that the SD card was faulty and f'ed up my Kindle. I've had weird PC problems due to a bad USB cable so just about anything's likely. That's why I didn't try to read the dead SD card with my PC and external card reader.

I called customer support and the rep took a very detailed history of the problem. I'm supposed to hear from engineering support within 24 hours. Ugggg. The customer rep was very polite (and so was I) and said that the problem should be resolved (either a new Kindle or a fix for this one) within the week.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
Did you try the little RESET pinhole in the back?
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
thanx for the update.. good luck with your Kindle...

Hope you will enjoy it.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

I reset the Kindle several times using the pinhole. I did that before calling Amazon. The first time it came back for a very short time but died again. The second time the screen flickered a couple of times then nothing. The third, fourth, fifth, etc... nothing happened.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:38 AM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

This morning I plugged the Kindle back into the charger and the little charge light lit up, an improvement over yesterday. Decided to let it charge completely before messing around with it. Came back about 30 minutes later and the Kindle was back up and working.

Amazon is going to download logs off my Kindle to see if they can figure out what happened.

I also ordered a spare battery yesterday because I was going to see if replacing this one would make a difference.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
This morning I plugged the Kindle back into the charger and the little charge light lit up, an improvement over yesterday. Decided to let it charge completely before messing around with it. Came back about 30 minutes later and the Kindle was back up and working.

Amazon is going to download logs off my Kindle to see if they can figure out what happened.

I also ordered a spare battery yesterday because I was going to see if replacing this one would make a difference.
If they leave anything behind, post it here.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
In my personal experience with most electronic items they either die in the first month or they don't die for years
That is for sure, When I equipped my home theater, I had both a Monster Power center die as well as a brand new JVC RS1 projector. Both were replaced and both have been fine since.

So far (2 days), my Kindle is fine.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

I haven't replaced the SD card (I picked up a Toshiba 1GB yesterday) but that's next.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
In my personal experience with most electronic items they either die in the first month or they don't die for years.
This is especially true in mobile devices. In an effort to make them smaller and smaller they actually end up stacking chips and doing other weird things on the board so you can end up with connections that are more prone to breakage. You get a lot more DOAs and nearly-DOA units (they work but somethings gotten too banged around so they fail quickly) from the abuse they take in transport with this type of product.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:18 PM   #13
runciter
runciter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Interesting. Maybe it was so low on juice it couldn't light up the charging light. I've seen that happen to some DAPs (iPod, Zune). Eagerly awaiting the updates
runciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

When the Kindle went down the battery was showing 50%. Amazon's downloaded the logs and they are supposed to let me know the results. Now I'm trying to troubleshoot the kid's computer. It's an older Dell with some updated cards.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #15
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur
Paul in Saudi is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
(First Post, Be Gentle)

Mine just died. Let me try to replace the SD card then mess with it again. If that does not help, I shall start a new self-pitying thread.
Paul in Saudi is offline   Reply With Quote