Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: February 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 7 7.87%
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë 8 8.99%
Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence 6 6.74%
Lady Chatterly's Lover by D.H. Lawrence 4 4.49%
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 4 4.49%
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro 9 10.11%
A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold 8 8.99%
A Room With A View by E. M. Forster 21 23.60%
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen 15 16.85%
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway 7 7.87%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
E. M. Forster is not awful at all, and I'd also say there is no question whether he's a good author or not, he is very widely considered a great author, but he's also a literary author and his works are about 100 years old - it can't be to the taste of everyone.
We will just have to agree to disagree.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #62
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Maybe that's the problem. I gave up reading "literature" the day after graduation. Nothing but fun reading for the rest of my life. I think it ws that last semester when I had to do a last Victorian lit course that pushed me over the edge. My dislike for all things Jane Austen turned to hate. And this book struck a lot of those same nerves.
Then I think you would love "Outlander". I'll re-read it and discuss it with you, if you need incentive to try it. It's a much more modern book and definitely a romance. I agree with you about "nothing but fun reading!"
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #63
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Then I think you would love "Outlander". I'll re-read it and discuss it with you, if you need incentive to try it. It's a much more modern book and definitely a romance. I agree with you about "nothing but fun reading!"
That's a fun book! Recommended
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #64
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Maybe that's the problem. I gave up reading "literature" the day after graduation. Nothing but fun reading for the rest of my life.
the mindless pursuit of shallow fun is the plague of our days. It's like some cocaine addict having a hell of a time for literally nothing...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #65
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
the mindless pursuit of shallow fun is the plague of our days. It's like some cocaine addict having a hell of a time for literally nothing...
Agreed. Why does something that requires some work automatically equate to not being pleasurable? Its work for me to read translated works or older works of fiction, but the knowledge and perspective I gain make them extremely pleasurable.

After all, there are other more, er, adult pursuits a number of us participate in, and putting a little work into those is never looked down on... Clearly this is a generational or someting-ational gap I'll just never get.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Actually, I think DixieGal would dislike Outlander. This is of course based on what I've seen posted about books she likes and dislikes.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #67
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
It's the 21st - so, BOb, where's the discussion thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
you can read it whenever you'd like. We "officially" open the discussion thread on the 20th. But, you can avoid it until you have finished the book if you'd like... or join in.... but watch out for spoilers.

BOb
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I think it's time for the nomination thread for March.