Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Apple Files Patent to Stop Jailbreaking

It may be a little late with this news but I thought I'd throw it out there.
http://www.iphonefootprint.com/2010/...-jailbreaking/
They might not use it, but why did they patent it if they wont?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:00 AM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Oh if they can they'll use it. Apple is committed towards this [ultimately futile] campaign to stop jailbreaking.

Sorry, I can't help but think, "If only the money and resources Apple has invested in these efforts were instead used to research and implement more of features users desire so there would be fewer reasons to jailbreak in the first place."

Last edited by Dylrob; 12-16-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Sorry, I can't help but think, "If only the money and resources Apple has invested in these efforts were instead used to research and implement more of features users desire so there would be fewer reasons to jailbreak in the first place."
I think Apple has something like 4 billion dollars in cash in the bank, so it's not lack of money.

Steve Jobs is just obsessive about controlling the user experience (so is Jeff Bezos).
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
pizda
Enthusiast
pizda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
I would love to hear that they did it. In long term all of us will only benefit from this. Think of it that way, nowadays apple device are fine but lots ot the people are unhappy with them, then they figured out the jailbraking... and improve their iP* instead of buying better device. Lets imagine apple has really sealed the iP*. Competition will listen here and there what is wrong with apple and release their own product - what apple can do then, dop price or improve the device.

Nowadays, honest good customers are betrayed - either they go to the dark said and jailbreak, or will grumble, grumble ... and wonder year by year why apple do not listen to them.
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I think Apple has something like 4 billion dollars in cash in the bank, so it's not lack of money.

Steve Jobs is just obsessive about controlling the user experience (so is Jeff Bezos).
+1
I just recently JB mine because I want control over stuff I bought. Once apple sells a device, it's not theirs anymore in my opinion.
If there'd have been devices around delivering the same good UI and screen size (the display is awesome, too, think about how well you can see stuff on it never minding the angle you're looking at it), I'd never have gone for an apple product.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 02:20 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since jailbreaking is legal and if Apple kills jailbroken iPhones or wipes the data, I expect class action law suits and I expect sales of Android phones to increase dramatically.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:28 AM   #7
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Yet another reason I will never have an Apple device.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
1. To be able to license it to someone else.
2. To prevent someone else from using the technique on a competing product.
3. Because they might use it.

the list of "whys" is nearly endless.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I don't think Apple will have authorization to wipe the user's content, even pretending it to be for security reasons.

At most, clients will have to agree with that. Although I can see how Apple might include something in a firmware update, where the client automatically agrees with those security measures when installing the new firmware.

And then, the new firmware will be mandatory, if the clients want to use iTunes or run newer software.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
Yet another reason I will never have an Apple device.
Then why do you participate in an Apple device forum?

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
sparker
sparker began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
It may be a little late with this news but I thought I'd throw it out there.
http://www.iphonefootprint.com/2010/...-jailbreaking/
That article was posted in August, and is not really applicable any more. As of the latest iOS update (4.2.1) Apple appears to have pulled the code that can detect jailbreaks.

Here's a link to a Google Search covering that announcement:

http://www.google.com/search?q=apple...reak+detection
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Maybe somebody should discover a jailbreak and then file a patent for the invention that fixes this.
That way apple will be left high and dry.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Welcome to MR sparker
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote