Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
DX Graphite vs. DX vs. nook vs......

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d=1#post998601

Just got my DX Graphite. Perfect rollout from Amazon, delivery to Germany in 2 days!!
It's definitely a keeper.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
mgmueller. curiously what did you pay for shipping costs to Europe?
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikspeare View Post
mgmueller. curiously what did you pay for shipping costs to Europe?
Item(s) Subtotal: $428.99 (DX Graphite + Cover)
Shipping & Handling: $26.97
-----
Total Before Tax: $455.96
Sales tax: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit $88.90
-----
Total for this Shipment: $544.86

You can do a simulation on the Amazon website. Just proceed to checkout and you see your respective figures.
I've never before experienced such a smooth process. Amazon managing the entire import process did reduce the total shipment time by 3 days - from 5 to 2 days. Phantastic.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-08-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Nicky_oz
Enthusiast
Nicky_oz doesn't litterNicky_oz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, Nook, Kindle Keyboard, iPad.
congrats on your new purchase!!! glad you love it!! i've heard great things about it from my friends in the US
Nicky_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

mgmueller, $26.97 sounds like a lot particularly if you take into consideration Amazon's free ''Super Saver Shipping'' offer. It's unclear if this extends beyond the US.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
mgmueller, $26.97 sounds like a lot particularly if you take into consideration Amazon's free ''Super Saver Shipping'' offer. It's unclear if this extends beyond the US.
My calculation was differently: From B&H Photo and other stores like that, shipment usually is about $40. And it's way more complicated, as I have to take care of customs fees myself.
Overall, my experience with Amazon's logistics (well, no surprise there, it's their core business) has been benchmark. Way better than iPad's rollout.
And don' forget the cover, which significantly adds bulk. Kindle DX itself would have been $18 or something like that.
But what I really hate (but won't be able to influence): I have to pay import fees for the shipment as well. It's not much. But as a principle, I find this kind of greedy and nonsense...

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-08-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
Sheikspeare
Groupie

German taxes, naturally? I wonder if other countries might be less efficient in this respect like here in Italy. :-)
Old 07-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
German taxes, naturally? I wonder if other countries might be less efficient in this respect like here in Italy. :-)
I have to pay those taxes in about 80% of all orders from US. Only small carriers and shipments looking like private packages sometimes make it undetected through customs.
And you've got no chance when ordering from Amazon or the likes, way to professional and efficient for that.
I've got similar stories and percentages from UK and Spain. I guess, within the EU, it's about the same everywhere. All these countries are quite happy about that additional revenue stream...

BTW: To my knowledge, the basic principle is the same for all countries. You have to pay import fees on the total purchase value, including shipment, handling, ...
Still, I find this ridiculous. But given the $:€ conversion, it still makes sense to ship from the US.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
I love my new DX Graphite
I'm just downloading my library of 350 original Amazon books. Definitely will read on of these tonight.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Duty fees were not too bad it looks like
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote