Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
stio
stio began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thumbs down B&N Nook Simple Touch Fire Sale Rip-Off

Like many others [judging by their rapid selling out] I was inspired by the recent firesale on Nook Simple Touches [hereinafter referred to as Nooks], which were going for £29 in the UK, last month.

Thinking that "for £29 a pop, you can't go wrong", I bought two of these gadgets and have had a month now to evaluate them. My conclusion is that, even for £29 a pop, you most certainly CAN go wrong:

* On arrival, both Nooks revealed themselves to have been built in 2011, so had been sitting on a shelf in a warehouse somewhere for two or more years.

* Far from B&N's claim that the batteries will last for two months with half an hour's reading per day and a similar amount of WiFi use, I have found that on both my Nooks, the battery will run completely flat in about 3 or 4 days –even with WiFi turned off and the Nook being completely unused. That's worse battery life than my bloody iPhone! [Incidentally, both Nooks had vastly different serial numbers, so this is not a case of one bad batch here].

* B&N have completely ignored two polite emails I've sent them throught their support address, enquiring about having the batteries or the Nooks replaced. Their customer service seems non-existent.

If my experience is the norm, rather than an exception, I think it's extremely cynical of B&N to perpetrate what is tantamount to fraud on the buying public. It seems to me that —knowing Li-ion batteries have a shelf life of not much than three years— B&N have cleared out a load of old Nooks with age-degraded batteries at a bargain basement price, without informing customers that the Nook they would receive is effectively no longer fit for purpose.

I wouldn't mind so much if I was only getting three-quarters or even half the claimed battery life, but 4 days equates to a fifteenth of what B&N advertise —and that's with the Nook not even being used, just sitting on standby.

Has anyone else who thought they were snapping up a £29 bargain been similarly disappointed with what they received –or am I just exceptionally unlucky?
stio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stio View Post
* On arrival, both Nooks revealed themselves to have been built in 2011, so had been sitting on a shelf in a warehouse somewhere for two or more years.
A number of us have long suspected that B&N had serious overproduction issues, so this doesn't really surprise me.

And in case you're wondering, the battery issue is probably directly related to the fact that these ereaders sat around unused for 2 years. The batteries decayed.

Quote:
* B&N have completely ignored two polite emails I've sent them throught their support address, enquiring about having the batteries or the Nooks replaced. Their customer service seems non-existent.
Again not a surprise. That is B&N's customer service all over. I would recommend that you file a consumer protection complaint with the relevant agency.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
B&N has sold a lot of these Nook Touch ereaders recently with the low prices. I have seen no complaints about the battery, either on this forum or on the B&N forum. So perhaps you just have bad luck.
B&N has no e-mail support (just standard replies). You will have to call or chat.

The Nook Touch uses an infrared screen. Anything detected by the infrared beams can trigger the screen. One cause of battery problems mentioned in the past are covers that are just close enough to the screen to prevent the screen from going to energy saving mode.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
crashed
Connoisseur
crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch
have you checked your software version and ran a update on these units? I know there were a few battery tweaks a few revisions ago, not sure if that would help - especially if they have been sitting around collecting dust before you purchased them.

I find that the "auto update" has never worked for me, so I do the manual updates myself.
crashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
john306
john306 is a marvel to beholdjohn306 is a marvel to beholdjohn306 is a marvel to beholdjohn306 is a marvel to beholdjohn306 is a marvel to beholdjohn306 is a marvel to beholdjohn306 is a marvel to beholdjohn306 is a marvel to beholdjohn306 is a marvel to beholdjohn306 is a marvel to beholdjohn306 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch/ Nook ST
I got a Nook ST a couple of weeks ago and in my rush to have a play with it I just skipped registration and loaded my books, overnight on sleep I lost 16% battery, after a couple of days massive battery loss I reset and registered properly and now I barely use 1% in a day in sleep. Is that what you are doing?
john306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
These are basically the causes of battery drain:

* skipping OOBE (not registering the device)
* a faulty or aged battery
* faulty battery calibration (may reset itself after a few cycles)

If you didn't skip OOBE, give it a few charge cycles and, if they battery life does not improve, then you have most likely a faulty or aged battery.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
So they built a bug into it that if you don't register, the battery life is crap?!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:40 AM   #8
stio

Thanks for the replies.

Both Nooks were running outdated firmware. I updated one to the latest when I got it [1,2,1 if I recall] and the other a week or so later. Both showed the same lack of battery life, before and after firmware upgrade.

The registration issue is interesting, as I did bypass registration on both. I intended these as cheap holiday readers I can sideload my existing ePub collection onto and was never going to buy anything from B&N anyway. So that may be the answer.

Has anyone any ideas why bypassing registration would knacker battery life in this way? I could kind of understand it if wifi was on and the Nooks were periodically trying to contact the mothership. But what can be chewing up the volts with wifi off and the Nook in standby?
Old 06-06-2013, 04:56 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I also got a £29 Nook and mine is fine, holding its charge as expected, its working no different to the Kindle I have.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #10
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Please does any of you know an online store where eu customers can buy a ST at this price?
Thanks
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #11
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I too was tempted and bought one and although it was sealed and sold as new, when I opened it, it had several scratches on both sides indicating it was a refurb. I tried to charge it and it wouldn't even charge or turn on. How can they sell these units as "new" when they are refurbs? Needless to say, this baby went back to the store for refund.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Well, by now I guess it's clear that your battery problems are from bypassing the registration. Because the device is not meant to run unregistered there is some process that keeps running until it is registered.
Just register it with an email address. Doesn't even have to be a real one. They don't check. I have set up a BN account that I use exclusively for registering devices that I give away. People over here can't buy from the BN store anyway, and I don't have to put in any credit card details. But, like I said, you don't have to set up an account at all. Just put in an email addy and go!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #13
stio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
...Just register it with an email address. Doesn't even have to be a real one...
I thought you needed to enter bank/card payment details as part of the registration process? That's why I wanted to avoid it. If an email address is all you need then problem solved. I'm sure <somebody>@mailinator.com will be delighted to give B&N an outlet for their spam.

I'll report back, once I've investigated the registration process further.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
The registration issue is interesting, as I did bypass registration on both.
I don't understand this "tin-foil hat" attitude. What's the deal with providing an email address (which doesn't even need to be real) and a name (that doesn't even need to be real) to just register a device? You can then just turn wifi off forever and be done with it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
stio

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I don't understand this "tin-foil hat" attitude. What's the deal with providing an email address (which doesn't even need to be real) and a name (that doesn't even need to be real) to just register a device?....
See my previous post. I was under the impression that you needed to provide payment method details in order to register, which is why I didn't want to do it.

As for it being a tinfoil attitude, maybe some of us just like to think that when we buy something it belongs to us and we don't have to allow the original vendor to "keep tabs on us" while we use it. For a slightly more practical justification, I refer you to the celebrated recent case where Amazon remotely wiped a woman's Kindle, without justification or explanation:

http://www.bekkelund.net/2012/10/22/...by-amazon-drm/

Sometimes a wee bit of tinfoil head-covering is a good thing!

Tags
b&n, battery, charge, life, nook