Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #256
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I posted this in the custom fonts post, but I've noticed now that after adding new fonts in FW 1.3.1, I now have to power off the device and turn it back on for them to display properly. The normal processing doesn't work nor does sleeping and waking the device.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #257
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Others have noted the need to power off and on for new fonts to be recognized too.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #258
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Oh; I must've missed it when looking over this thread. Certainly some annoying things in 1.3.1. At least margins work more reliably now (for the most part).
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #259
ayram88
ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo touch
As someone might have read on the forum, I tried to upgrade, but my device then froze (now it works, thankfully) because I just was disappointed by 2.3.1.

I noticed the kobo was very slow, and whenever I tried to press the "settings" button on the top right, I had to press it a dozen times before having a response.

Now after restoring it the 2.3.1 auto installed itself (damn setup system!).

I'm scared about rolling back to 2.1.5 after what happened while sideloading...

I only hope future updates will improve my device rather than make my reading experienxe WORSE.

I don't care if the kobo has a store - I can buy books via Computer and then load it on the reader

what they should understand at kobo is that an efficient and stable system is the first thing they should aim at.

My two cents.
ayram88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #260
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayram88 View Post

what they should understand at kobo is that an efficient and stable system is the first thing they should aim at.
+1

may I repeat word stable once again...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #261
Hotbill
Hotbill began at the beginning.

Device: none
Problem with Kobo glo 3.2.1

For me, it's impossible to read PDF (pictures) in zoom mode. Sides of pages are not visible since the new update. I contacted Kobo and did the reset like they said like they asked me to do (I tried 3 times). It didn't worked. So they said me they couldn't do anything and all I could do was to reset one more time, stop updating to the previous update and keep them informed if it worked. It works, i can read PDF now but i have to avoid the 3.2.1 release. So, I have to avoid wifi and connections to their computer software. Now they say they are working on it.
PDF with real text are perfect. But sadly most of PDF are pictures...
Hotbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #262
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
I don't like to say this people but going by recent past experience they will be able to fix any problem but there will be casualties.

It seems that every bug they fix creates a new one or two. So, the only sane thing to do is choose a release to use that contains the 'bug set' that has the least impact upon you.

You can still end up with a pretty useful, nifty device -- but bug-free it ain't gonna be.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #263
Kwazimodo
Kwazimodo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
I'm also finding that the sleep option on my glo doesn't work since updating. It turns off ok so there's no hardware fault.
HI SimonD

Did you find a solution?
Because I have the same problem.

Or is the only solution a factory reset?

With Kind regards
John
Kwazimodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #264
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I had this problem with 2.3.1 on the Touch. I solved it by logging out of my account and logging back in. This is annoying as it forces a delete & reload of all Kobo content, but as I also have a lot of sideloaded content it was not as annoying as a factory reset.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #265
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwazimodo View Post
HI SimonD

Did you find a solution?
Because I have the same problem.

Or is the only solution a factory reset?

With Kind regards
John
This seems to work for the no sleep issue :

Turn Off
Take SD Card Out
Turn On
Put SD Card Back In when fully loaded
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #266
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I guess somebody has already reported this bug and I did not see it. If I navigate an epub by the TOC-menu the whole page of the book becomes black. If I then invoke the font settings menu and make any change there the page returns to the normal state (black script on white/grey background). Another way to get back the normal view of the book is to search the book for a word and jump to the page where it is contained. I tried this with several epubs with the same result.

Edit: Yesterday this strange behavior persisted even though I powered the Touch on and off several times. Today, however, I cannot reproduce it.

Last edited by tshering; 01-11-2013 at 05:07 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #267
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Hello

Long time reader, first time poster, etc

I am on the verge of throwing my damn Glo out of the window, was on the bus today and finished a book (Last Testament of Kings if anyone is interested, great book!) and went to open a new one and the Glo froze, forcing a paper clip reset. After repeated attempts at opening various Kobo and side-loaded books with the same result, I did a factory reset, had to update and re-download all my books over a 2G connection with my phone as a WiFi hotspot (took about an hour) and nothing has changed.

All the books I could open before now don't work, and only 2 Kobo books out of probably 8 I have on the device will actually open. The rest just hang on the library screen for 5 minutes then I get a blank white screen.

This firmware is a joke, and to make matters worse, I am moving house so my broadband has been disconnected this morning, so I can't even download an earlier firmware and just read my side-loaded books.

Anyone have any suggestions? short of sending the device back and having nothing to read until I get a replacement.

Thanks in advance.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:22 AM   #268
ironflute
ironflute began at the beginning.

Device: Nook SimpleTouch GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Hello

Long time reader, first time poster, etc

I am on the verge of throwing my damn Glo out of the window, was on the bus today and finished a book (Last Testament of Kings if anyone is interested, great book!) and went to open a new one and the Glo froze, forcing a paper clip reset. After repeated attempts at opening various Kobo and side-loaded books with the same result, I did a factory reset, had to update and re-download all my books over a 2G connection with my phone as a WiFi hotspot (took about an hour) and nothing has changed.

All the books I could open before now don't work, and only 2 Kobo books out of probably 8 I have on the device will actually open. The rest just hang on the library screen for 5 minutes then I get a blank white screen.

This firmware is a joke, and to make matters worse, I am moving house so my broadband has been disconnected this morning, so I can't even download an earlier firmware and just read my side-loaded books.

Anyone have any suggestions? short of sending the device back and having nothing to read until I get a replacement.

Thanks in advance.
I'm having the same problems. Right out of the box. I dump some books to the internal memory, eject it, it processes them, and when I go to page through the list of books, it locks. Sometimes it just stops responding, other times, the screen goes all glitchy. I have to use a needle to reset it.
I took the Glo back and got another one, thinking I just got a bad device. Nope. This other one does the same damned thing, over and over after each reset.
It's completely unusable. I have never, ever had something that was so utterly borked out-of-the-box.
The only way I can keep it from doing this is to load fewer than one page (5) worth of ebooks on it. Which is stupid. I bought this thing because of the memory expansion it has.
I'm emailing Kobo tomorrow to complain. This is inexcusable.

I just joined, so I'll go through this thread and whatever else I can find on the site tomorrow at work to look for a fix.
ironflute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #269
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironflute View Post
I'm having the same problems. Right out of the box. I dump some books to the internal memory, eject it, it processes them, and when I go to page through the list of books, it locks. Sometimes it just stops responding, other times, the screen goes all glitchy. I have to use a needle to reset it.
I took the Glo back and got another one, thinking I just got a bad device. Nope. This other one does the same damned thing, over and over after each reset.
It's completely unusable. I have never, ever had something that was so utterly borked out-of-the-box.
The only way I can keep it from doing this is to load fewer than one page (5) worth of ebooks on it. Which is stupid. I bought this thing because of the memory expansion it has.
I'm emailing Kobo tomorrow to complain. This is inexcusable.

I just joined, so I'll go through this thread and whatever else I can find on the site tomorrow at work to look for a fix.
I have got mine relatively stable now, like you I have been copying books on little by little then deleting them as soon as they are finished. I copied the side loaded books off the Kobo and ran them through Calibre twice (epub to RTF then RTF to epub) and they now work, but the formatting is all messed up. I'm assuming the firmware update corrupted the files or something as they worked fine on my laptop when copied off, but the Glo just wouldn't touch them.

Still have the sleep cover bug, double page turn bug, forgotten chapter bug and all that to contend with, but at least my books load now.

Can't believe Kobo have not rolled out even just a quick fix firmware patch to address the sleep cover bug, especially considering 2.3.2 has been out in Japan for a while now and others here have successfully tested it by manually updating.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #270
ironflute
ironflute began at the beginning.

Device: Nook SimpleTouch GlowLight
So I messed with my Glo a little more this morning. After a paper-clip reset, I hit 'Library', and the menu popped up. Then I clicked "Books". It froze.

So I reset it, connected it to my Mac, deleted everything off the internal memory, threw on some PDF's of floor plans, and waited for it to rescan the memory. After it updated, I was able to browse the PDFs and open them all without problem.
So I added 8 more items, a mixture of mobi and epub. Now I have 19 items on it. Seems to be fine.

So the trick is to load 10 books on at a time. And pray.
Which is bullshit, but I have already sold my Kindle, so I'm stuck.

*sigh* 4500 books, 10 books at a time with disconnections in between so the Glo can assess whats in memory. Terrific.
ironflute is offline   Reply With Quote