Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #16
mogwai
mogwai began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yeah, I think I've settled with getting a Kindle now. Thanks!
Hopefully the import fees won't run high.
mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #17
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai View Post
Hey, I am seriously thinking of getting the new Kindle Wi-fi. The price is just too good to pass up. But I'm still left wondering about one major issue for me : will I have to pay import fees to get it shipped to Belgium, and if so how much?
If you're staying under €150 (excluding S&H) you should be fine, meaning you'll only have to pay your customary 21% VAT but no customs dues on top of that. But, yes, Amazon will handle that for you on the final checkout page.

Quote:
And also what's this with the amazon protected drm? Does this mean I can only put up books I've purchased from the Kindle store?
No, you can also convert other, non-DRM files to the Kindle format. Look up "Calibre", it's great for that. Free PDFs should also work to some extent, but that's always iffy.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #18
mogwai

Okay, I just saw that the Nook is also available in Europe? Considering it's the same price, is the Nook better? I actually prefer the design so...
Old 07-31-2010, 12:21 PM   #19
mogwai

Nah, actually I still prefer the simplicity of the Kindle 3.

Also FYI perhaps for people wondering about the custom fees I think I found a pretyt good source saying that in total the Kindle will be €150 (import & shipping). Great price, imho.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:25 PM   #20
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Converting through Calibre arises when you already have a lot of books in the .epub format or another format not readable by Kindle.
I have a few PDF's (fiction not technical) along with epub files and RTF files, last night I simply highlighted every file in my Calibre Library and clicked convert, as it was a multiple task (767 files in one go) Calibre just asked me to select the outward file, I selected MOBI and Calibre took about 2 hours to convert the lot. It seems to have done it seemlessly.

I obviously can't test loading them onto a Kindle until mine arrives, but Calibre certainly seems to have done its thing. The whole process was quicker and simpler than I anticipated.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #21
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Okay, I just saw that the Nook is also available in Europe? Considering it's the same price, is the Nook better? I actually prefer the design so...
You should consider switching to a nook if you're planning on lending a lot of books from the library since most library-systems are opting for .epub and not .mobi support.

I'm not familiar with the Nook store but get the impression that Amazon has a wider selection of books.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:42 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To the best of my knowledge, the nook is not available outside the USA (and perhaps Canada).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:44 PM   #23
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Also FYI perhaps for people wondering about the custom fees I think I found a pretyt good source saying that in total the Kindle will be €150 (import & shipping). Great price, imho.
I paid $375 when I ordered my K2 in 2009 that included priority shipping and VAT, no other charges incurred. The shipping took 2 days and the package was delivered to my work place.

Last edited by thinkpad; 07-31-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:08 PM   #24
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I obviously can't test loading them onto a Kindle until mine arrives, but Calibre certainly seems to have done its thing. The whole process was quicker and simpler than I anticipated.
Curious did you go for Kindle 3 or Kindle DX 3? I see in your profile that you've got Sony devices from before, what maid you go for the Kindle? Looking forward to hear about all user reactions when the K3 finally arrives. Good luck with your Kindle.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #25
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Quote:
Nah, actually I still prefer the simplicity of the Kindle 3.

Well i'm in France, and the kindle is : 189$ + 20$ shipping + 40$ import fees deposit, so it's more like 250$, which is about 190 €, plus the few euros your banks will take in the operation of course. I don't really see how it could be 150€, which would almost be the price of the Kindle itself, without shipping and the famous import fees deposit.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
Well i'm in France, and the kindle is : 189$ + 20$ shipping + 40$ import fees deposit, so it's more like 250$, which is about 190 €, plus the few euros your banks will take in the operation of course. I don't really see how it could be 150€, which would almost be the price of the Kindle itself, without shipping and the famous import fees deposit.
He's probably referring to the cheaper model with WiFi only.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #27
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
I think the Wifi version could be had at that price since it's only $139 to begin with: 160$ (w/ S&H) + 20% VAT = 192$ = 147€.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #28
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Of course ! my bad...
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, kindle, kindle in europe