Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #31
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisceschick View Post

You know that group you made at Goodreads? Groups have shelves that we'd all be able to add to, and unlike Listopia would be not subject to SP-authorial spam. I'd be very, very glad to help...
Which group is that? I'd love to join. And the 2014 recs from the January thread could be added there too if it's applicable.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #32
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Some of the Entangled Indulgence are on sale at Amazon if you're interested. Link to get started, but again not all are on sale so click carefully.

[It's difficult for me to post these because of geo-restrictions I get skewed prices being from Canada] Anyways, trying to be helpful.

ETA looks like some of the Entangled Brazen are coming on sale as well.
I've waded through to figure which are full length and which are novellas. Here are all the full length $0.99 deals, many are pre-orders.

INDULGENCE - NEWLY LISTED
INDULGENCE - PREVIOUSLY LISTED
BRAZEN - NEWLY LISTED
BRAZEN - PREVIOUSLY LISTED
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:00 PM   #33
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
Drive Me Crazy (Shaken Dirty #2) by Tracy Wolff 2-24-14
BTW - this one is rock star
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #34
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahi View Post
Who do you think are some good "non-mistorical" authors writing today? I have a lot of backlist titles that are more meaty and to my knowledge, historically accurate. Carla Kelly is one who comes to mind. She still writes for a smaller press and Harlequin Historical. I liked the first trilogy that Tessa Dare wrote, but I can't get past the description of her newest book with all the modern movie references to get interested in it.
Kasey Michaels and Loretta Chase comes to mind.

Some of my favorites who I wouldn't label mistoricals but they wouldn't fit the traditional either would be Karen Hawkins and Sabrina Jefferies. I'm not sure where Mary Balogh fits she to me it more traditional but she can also be middle of the road. I really like Sally Mackenzie too. Lorraine Heath is another one who I consider middle of the road but is really good.

Tessa Dare's Avon books are too gimmicky and the epitome of a mistorical for me. I do have her first books which was by a different publisher but will not read her Avon books.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #35
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisceschick View Post
Seriously?

You know that group you made at Goodreads? Groups have shelves that we'd all be able to add to, and unlike Listopia would be not subject to SP-authorial spam. I'd be very, very glad to help...
Oh what a great idea! I totally forgotten about it. For those who want to join here's the link It's bare bones but I like us being able to catalog books. I think I'll make a shelf with our recommendations lists from last month.

Yes I would love help I have no idea what I am doing and your are the GR expert here.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #36
NixLapi
Addict
NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
I've waded through to figure which are full length and which are novellas. Here are all the full length $0.99 deals, many are pre-orders.
for doing that!

So much for being good so far this year... had to end sometime I guess!
NixLapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #37
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keslynn View Post
I DNF Season for Surrender by the same author. I can't comment on the historical accuracy since my expertise is the Early Modern period. I can however say that the book failed for me on many levels.

I do think that there are a lot of misconceptions about history in general. I also think there's a lot of "artistic license" among romance authors, even the ones with better researching skills. I mean, really, how often could a lord marry a poor woman without any consequence? How often would he be able to rub shoulders with poorer women who weren't servants? Not to mention, why are all the books about lords? Where are all the merchants and other classes? Plus, the biggie, times were pretty crappy for women.

Do I always mind these things? No. I think they stick out more when the book is badly written or just doesn't click.
Two books comes to mind Tiger's Eye by Karen Robards. The hero is London's crime overlord and is not at all a secret nobility. The rescue by Suzanne Robinson. The Hero is a thief who worked his way out of the gutter. I love these books and wish I could find more like them!

Last edited by Blossom; 02-02-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #38
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixLapi View Post
Thank you!

Not a lot further than that! All the sentences starting with "so" and "anyway" just irked me too much. So I curled up with a Lorraine Heath and stayed up way past bedtime reading!

DA has it right, there needs to be a way to easily separate the meta-regency from the really historically accurate.
I didn't even notice I was trying to follow what the heroine was trying to say as she seems to just babble on and on.....

I stayed up reading Welcome To Last Chance by Hope Ramsey. It's small town romance but her voice is very different from any one I have read. Her characters seem real and not cookie cutter at all. The Hero is way older than the heroine, When was the last time I seen that in contemporary romance I can't remember.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #39
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Slow reading week for me.
Read:
  • Dear Stranger by Elise K Ackers (C+/3 stars)
  • The Rome Affair (House of Steele #3) by Addison Fox (C+/3 stars)
  • Wife for Hire (For Hire #1) by Christine Bell (D/1 stars)
  • Guardian for Hire (For Hire #2) by Christine Bell (C+/3 stars)

Have a new big project as books with the text indent listed in px rather than em in css do not show as indented when I bring the books up in Mantano. (They do look indented in ADE and on my Sony). Mantano says it is because they have to base their app on the way Adobe RMSDK renders pdf and epub. Not sure why it looks okay in ADE and not the app, but whatever. This includes just about every Samhain book. Actually I’m just going to do the Samhain ones and then I will reconvert the others as I come across them. Not sure when I will start it though as I thought I was done. Blah!

*Beauty and the Billionaire, Her One and Only Valentine, and The Girl Next Door are all part of the Escape for Valentine's omnibus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	books 2-2.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	118653   Click image for larger version

Name:	books 2-2 vault.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	118654  
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #40
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post

Have a new big project as books with the text indent listed in px rather than em in css do not show as indented when I bring the books up in Mantano. (They do look indented in ADE and on my Sony). Mantano says it is because they have to base their app on the way Adobe RMSDK renders pdf and epub. Not sure why it looks okay in ADE and not the app, but whatever. This includes just about every Samhain book. Actually I’m just going to do the Samhain ones and then I will reconvert the others as I come across them. Not sure when I will start it though as I thought I was done. Blah!

*Beauty and the Billionaire, Her One and Only Valentine, and The Girl Next Door are all part of the Escape for Valentine's omnibus
Mantano has issues. I find it renders alot of code wrong with the latest updates. One book has everything underline in it and I've scoured the code and still can't find out what's causing it. I've open the epub in every other reader and it's fine but on Mantano it does this. I use Moon+ which I love so much I am thinking of uninstalling Mantano as I never use it.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #41
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some of the Entangled books are on sale at BN, but not all.

Does anyone know if this is a publisher sale or Amazon? I'd rather have ePub so I'm wondering if they will be on sale at other sites.

ETA: Okay a few are showing the sale price for pre-order at Kobo. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it

Last edited by library addict; 02-02-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #42
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Mantano has issues. I find it renders alot of code wrong with the latest updates. One book has everything underline in it and I've scoured the code and still can't find out what's causing it. I've open the epub in every other reader and it's fine but on Mantano it does this. I use Moon+ which I love so much I am thinking of uninstalling Mantano as I never use it.
I like how Mantano allows me to adjust the lighting and fonts so simply. And it works so well with Calibre Companion. I really don't want to have multiple reading apps. Decisions, decisions...
Old 02-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #43
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I like how Mantano allows me to adjust the lighting and fonts so simply. And it works so well with Calibre Companion. I really don't want to have multiple reading apps. Decisions, decisions...
I find Moon+ does a better job with brightness and fonts.
With Moon+ you have a few way to adjust brightness. You can choose swipe the edge of the side of the left screen or you can add it to the menu and use the slider or +|- buttons. It also has it on the more menu and you can go really low lower than screen dim app. It also shows brightness by percentage so you keep track which works best for you and it's not book specific.

The font control on Moon+ is awesome!!! Nothing like it. You can adjust the font size by 5 points or by 1 point. This means you can have the perfect font size on every font!

To adjust the font size you can swipe the right side of the screen edge or it is configurable I have my set to swipe the top. You can also add the font button to the menu. These both will allow you to adjust the font sizes by 5 points up or down. If you go to the Visual options you can up or down the font size by 1 point. No other Reader app allows you do set your font size like this!

You can also set paragraph spacing size and add indent and select its size.
It also has margins and line spacing settings as well.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #44
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I find Moon+ does a better job with brightness and fonts.
With Moon+ you have a few way to adjust brightness. You can choose swipe the edge of the side of the left screen or you can add it to the menu and use the slider or +|- buttons. It also has it on the more menu and you can go really low lower than screen dim app. It also shows brightness by percentage so you keep track which works best for you and it's not book specific.

The font control on Moon+ is awesome!!! Nothing like it. You can adjust the font size by 5 points or by 1 point. This means you can have the perfect font size on every font!

To adjust the font size you can swipe the right side of the screen edge or it is configurable I have my set to swipe the top. You can also add the font button to the menu. These both will allow you to adjust the font sizes by 5 points up or down. If you go to the Visual options you can up or down the font size by 1 point. No other Reader app allows you do set your font size like this!

You can also set paragraph spacing size and add indent and select its size.
It also has margins and line spacing settings as well.
Have they fixed the problem with the line height or paragraph spacing that caused the words to overlap? That was an issue I had with Moon+ on my phone through several versions/upgrades of the app (I had the free one I think). It would fix then "break" again which I found highly annoying. Also, do you know if it works well with Calibre Companion?

As much as I wanted to have only 1 app, maybe having two would be easier than reconverting so many books
Old 02-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #45
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Have they fixed the problem with the line height or paragraph spacing that caused the words to overlap? That was an issue I had with Moon+ on my phone through several versions/upgrades of the app (I had the free one I think). It would fix then "break" again which I found highly annoying. Also, do you know if it works well with Calibre Companion?

As much as I wanted to have only 1 app, maybe having two would be easier than reconverting so many books
No problems with any overlapping that must have been fixed but I use the paid version. I use Calibre Companion with it and it works great!