Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Which size iPad did you buy?
16G wifi 23 30.26%
32G wifi 22 28.95%
64G wifi 31 40.79%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Which iPad did you buy?

Reports say the 32G model is the most popular. I'm curious what people bought. Please only vote if you actually purchased and have an iPad in your hands.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Guess I can't vote then, but my g/f got the 32GB model.

If I was getting one it would be that or the 16.

64 woudl be overkill for me as I wouldn't put music or video on it as I'd stay with my mp3 player for music and just use streaming video as I'm not into buying download videos or ripping my dvds/blu rays. I might put some of the digital copies I have that come with some dvds/blu rays these days, but I'd keep those on the PC and just load them when I wanted to watch one on a trip etc.

So 16GB might be enough as that's a lot of apps, PDFs etc. But I'd feel more future proofed with 32GB or so on whatever tablet I end up with.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
The 32 seems to be the most popular. That's the one that seems to be sold out everywhere. When I bought mine they prefaced it by saying they were all out of 32, but had one 16 and five 64 left.

I think 16 is more than enough space. I hardly ever come close to having more than that on any portable device. And my primary use for the iPad is not to store all my videos and music files.

That's what the iPod and iMac are for.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
d2photo
d2photo began at the beginning.

Device: iphone/software readers
16 g is not enough. I currently have 45g loaded on mine. Once you start loading some movie files you will see that space free drop like a rock
d2photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
16gb is plenty for me. I load a few CDs worth of music, and maybe a movie or two. Then rotate them as needed.

The rest is apps, and ebooks. The Netflix (and soon hulu) take care of most of my video needs.

Edit: and podcasts, video and sound. But those get deleted from the iPad after consumption.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 04-10-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 12:59 AM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

funny, but for the 32G supposedly being the most popular, it seems to be the least popular here.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
funny, but for the 32G supposedly being the most popular, it seems to be the least popular here.
That makes sense to me. People either 1) want to save money or aren't interested in having a lot of storage (16gb), or 2) want as much storage as possible (64gb). Getting the 32gb model means that you are interested in more storage but still want to save money. Since you are already paying so much money, why compromise? If I get an iPad I will go for the 64gb (3g).
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not just wanting to save money, it's just that 16GB seems a bit small, I could seem myself running out of space on that with apps, pdfs etc.

Where as the 32GB should be plenty since I wouldn't put my music on it (have a creative vision M, an iPod Nano, and all my music on both my laptop and office computer) and wouldn't store video files on it--just stream or put digital copies on for a trip and delete afterward etc.

64GB would be over kill for me. Same with my recent Nano purchase. The 16 GB version wasn't that much more than the 8GB, but I don't need that much space on my flash player that I use for the gym as I just use it for some podcasts and put a handful of music on it that I rotate. I have my 30GB creative that holds all my music.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I bought the 16GB. Seeing as I plan to use it as primarily a webpad, I doubt Ill ever fill even that up. I have an 8gb jailbroken iPod Touch 2G and I don't think its ever had more than 2GB on it. It was my old webpad.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I got the 16, but now that I have had it for a week I wish I'd got the 64. I honestly didn't think I would find it as useful as I do. It has completely replaced my Sony reader and Nintendo DS Lite (sold both).... And the only reason I'm keeping my netbook is that is what I sync the iPad to........ So if I were buying knowing what I know now, I would get the 64.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books

I got the 64 myself, because I didn't want to get less and wish I had more. If you're only going to use the device as a web-pad, then I think 16g is plenty. Apps aren't that large in themselves. If you're going to store music and video on it, that takes up a hefty chunk. I filled mine up with about 32g of personally ripped movies (love Handbrake), the iPad is great for watching movies on planes and I've had several positive comments from people sitting near me. It's a nice break from just reading and far easier to set up and use than breaking out the notebook. My iPad completely replaced me carrying around a personal netbook (eeePC 1000) along with my work issued luggable laptop, no personal files allowed on there (in the interests of national security and all that). The iPad is thinner, lighter, instant-on, and far easier to deal with. It also does not have to come out of your bag to go through TSA security checks.

I fully expect to gift it to a family member when a new version comes out (next year?) that has a camera, usb ports, built-in coffee maker and TARDIS functionality.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I got the 16, but now that I have had it for a week I wish I'd got the 64. I honestly didn't think I would find it as useful as I do. It has completely replaced my Sony reader and Nintendo DS Lite (sold both).... And the only reason I'm keeping my netbook is that is what I sync the iPad to........ So if I were buying knowing what I know now, I would get the 64.....
You have 14 days to return/exchange if you got it from the Apple store, so you could always take it back for a 64 probably. May be a restocking fee of course.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
...It also does not have to come out of your bag to go through TSA security checks....
Very nice indeed!!! That should be a selling point.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
scottjl
Reader of Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
You have 14 days to return/exchange if you got it from the Apple store, so you could always take it back for a 64 probably. May be a restocking fee of course.
Apple does charge a restocking fee, 10%.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Good point. I know there is a $50 restocking fee if you outright return it. But I do not know if that fee would apply to an upgrade...... Hmmmmmm I may have to check that out.......

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 04-11-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote