Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Possible to replace some 500 files with 505 firmware?

I compared the content of the last PRS-500 update with the content of the PRS-505 content and noticed that a lot of files were identical, and that both had the same Linux distribution (they are library compatible).

So I was thinking: Would it be possible to replace some of the files manually from the PRS-500 (which doesn't seem to be updated any longer) with newer files from the PRS-505 update?

There are files like FskDocumentViewer.so, FskBBeBViewer.xsb, or FskDocumentViewerRTF.so (RTF) which appear to have been updated (they all have increased filesizes in the 505 update).

FskDocumentViewerPDF.so (~2.2MB) from the 500 has been replaced with FskDocumentViewerAdobe.so (~7.6MB), which now includes ePub support.

Just curious if anyone else has given it some thought.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
vaporetto
vaporetto began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hi TadW,

Did you succeed ? I'd be interested just to get the reflow in PDFs. Personaly I tried to use the older firmware updater with the new .img files -> I bricked the PRS-500. I had to reset it ten times to reflash the lder firmware.

Vapo
vaporetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
So I was thinking: Would it be possible to replace some of the files manually from the PRS-500 (which doesn't seem to be updated any longer) with newer files from the PRS-505 update?
In theory it would be possible. The problem is, the 500 and 505 are incompatible, as far as the device driver interfaces are concerned. There is some different hardware (i.e. a different display controller, different flash card controller), which apparently required some different interfaces (maybe something stupid, i.e. device names hard coded in binaries). Therefore you cannot take the modules from 500, and run them on 505 (and visa versa).

As far as binary compatibility, the models are compatible, and there should not have been any problem to port the viewers (i.e. Adobe DE or PDF) to 500, other than perhaps the RAM really is an issue (hard to believe, but it is possible).
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
vaporetto

How do you access the files in the distribution ? I tried to mount the .img files, but PowerIso or WinIso say it is not a valid format.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporetto View Post
How do you access the files in the distribution ? I tried to mount the .img files, but PowerIso or WinIso say it is not a valid format.
Those are CRAMFS files, you need cramfs tools to disassemble them.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2008, 11:29 PM   #6
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
please keep working on this..

F.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:40 AM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If your Linux distribution supports it, you can access the files like this (which is how I did it):

$ sudo mount -o loop cramfs.Fsk.img /mnt/sony/
$ ls /mnt/sony/ -la
Old 07-30-2008, 05:41 AM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
As far as binary compatibility, the models are compatible, and there should not have been any problem to port the viewers (i.e. Adobe DE or PDF) to 500, other than perhaps the RAM really is an issue (hard to believe, but it is possible).
This is what I was thinking too. So basically, we could try to replace, let's say, the viewer binaries and repackage them in the cramfs image before reflashing it onto the 500.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
vaporetto

Any news on this ?
I have not a great knowledge of PRS 500 OS tricks and not much time to hack...or maybe Sony will just provide an update for PRS-500 after all...