Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2013, 04:42 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
KOBO AURA HD vs the KOBO AURA and Paperwhite 1

Can anyone tell me if the KOBO Aura HD has Pocket please, and how it compares to the new 6 inch KOBO Aura. I bought one of those recently and love it but I have a hankering for the AURA HD. Just not sure if i need both.

I've been checking reviews online but tbh i'm really not sure if havig two will be overkill, epecially as I also have a Paperwhite 1.

I love the AURA, I love using Pocket with it and the collection shelves via Calibre, I'm just tempted with the bigger screen and possible better display, I do find the Paperwhite display better than the AURA but not sure if the HD would be better than the Paperwhite.

Sorry if i'm rambling.....
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
wow, you own a a lot of devices! I'm happy with my kobo aura, never handled HD version and not sure whether the back would be comfortable to hold even if the screen is technically better.

Sorry don't know if the HD has pocket yet but if it does it would probably be worth losing the aura and the paperwhite over if you where looking to downsize.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Yes the HD has Pocket. I've got the Aura and had the PW1 while my sister has the HD. I would say the HD has the best screen, if you don't mind the extra size and weight. Also the HD has a more slippery back, however this is easily remedied with an EBay case. Whether you want or need three similar devices, only you can say.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you both for your replies. Unfortunately need doesn't come into it, i'm a bit of an ereader fiend

I've had my Paperwhite over a year and tbh i never contemplated a KOBO until the Paperwhite 2 came out, which I really don't like. Then the Cloud Collections update, and suddenly Kindle doesn't seem to be it for me anymore.

I got my AURA for Pocket, and its size and weight, it does have pin holes but I really like it, so now I'm 'debating' about the AURA HD. I'd hate for the 'limited' run to finish and I'll have missed it
Old 12-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Josieb1: As stated above, the Aura HD does have Pocket. In fact, if the two devices are running the current firmware, they are identical in all ways except those the are inherent in the device differences.

As to the other question, I have two answers.

Answer 1:
No, you don't need an Aura HD. The Aura is a great device. High resolution, easy to use, easy to hold. Small enough to go with you everywhere and good to use at home.

Answer 2:
You definitely need an Aura HD. The Aura is a great device, perfect for use on the go. But, the larger screen and higher resolution of the Aura HD will make it much better for use at home.

I'll let you pick the answer you want. I have a suspicion I know which you will choose
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Josieb1: As stated above, the Aura HD does have Pocket. In fact, if the two devices are running the current firmware, they are identical in all ways except those the are inherent in the device differences.

As to the other question, I have two answers.

Answer 1:
No, you don't need an Aura HD. The Aura is a great device. High resolution, easy to use, easy to hold. Small enough to go with you everywhere and good to use at home.

Answer 2:
You definitely need an Aura HD. The Aura is a great device, perfect for use on the go. But, the larger screen and higher resolution of the Aura HD will make it much better for use at home.

I'll let you pick the answer you want. I have a suspicion I know which you will choose

Thank you davidfor, its more what answer I can convince my husband is right

But yes I know which one I want, I may have to wait until my birthday in a few months though.....
Old 12-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Thank you davidfor, its more what answer I can convince my husband is right
Just wrap it and put it under the Christmas tree with a label from him. He'll be so happy that he remembered to buy you a present he won't question it. Now, if I only knew what to by my wife
Quote:
But yes I know which one I want, I may have to wait until my birthday in a few months though.....
And if your lucky, something better will get released at about that time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I have both a Kobo Aura HD and a Kobo Aura. They're both lovely, but I find myself reaching for the Aura HD much more frequently. The bigger screen is nice. And they do both have Pocket (in fact, they have nearly identical features, near as I can tell, and they run the same firmware version).

Big plus for the Aura is the ability to swipe up and down with two fingers to adjust brightness, and a need to refresh the screen much less frequently (default is once every CHAPTER). The Aura HD requires you to go into a menu to change brightness, and I've set my screen refresh to every page, although you can get away with every few pages before ghosting becomes an issue.

On the other hand, the night-mode hack (which allows inverse video for reading at night) works flawlessly on the Aura HD; it's buggy (with lots of non-inverse-video screen artiifacts if you try to mark text, etc.) on the Aura: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212162

In terms of cases, by the way, the official Kobo Sleepcover for the Aura HD is really nice; the official Kobo Sleepcover for the Aura is uncomfortable, and I don't like it at all -- I've now removed it, and am running without a case. (The big plus of the Aura is the totally flat bezel -- an effect ruined by having two bulky, ugly, sharp-edged center-side clamps holding the Aura into the Sleepcover; it's a design used on no other Sleepcover, and it's very uncomfortable to hold.)
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I have both a Kobo Aura HD and a Kobo Aura. They're both lovely, but I find myself reaching for the Aura HD much more frequently. The bigger screen is nice. And they do both have Pocket (in fact, they have nearly identical features, near as I can tell, and they run the same firmware version).

Big plus for the Aura is the ability to swipe up and down with two fingers to adjust brightness, and a need to refresh the screen much less frequently (default is once every CHAPTER). The Aura HD requires you to go into a menu to change brightness, and I've set my screen refresh to every page, although you can get away with every few pages before ghosting becomes an issue.

On the other hand, the night-mode hack (which allows inverse video for reading at night) works flawlessly on the Aura HD; it's buggy (with lots of non-inverse-video screen artiifacts if you try to mark text, etc.) on the Aura: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212162

In terms of cases, by the way, the official Kobo Sleepcover for the Aura HD is really nice; the official Kobo Sleepcover for the Aura is uncomfortable, and I don't like it at all -- I've now removed it, and am running without a case. (The big plus of the Aura is the totally flat bezel -- an effect ruined by having two bulky, ugly, sharp-edged center-side clamps holding the Aura into the Sleepcover; it's a design used on no other Sleepcover, and it's very uncomfortable to hold.)
I have the Aura HD and love the size. I have handled the new Aura in store and love the feel of the familiar quilted back, and love the look of the flush bezel. Also the features noted by Robert are a definite plus on the new Aura. But I don't think ill give up my larger screen anytime soon. I don't use hacks so I can not offer any insight to them good or bad.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I agree with the two first paragraphs of RobertJSawyer.
I have an Aura HD and considered getting an Aura, but ended up asking for a refund. The size and feel of the Aura are great, the resolution and contrast of the Aura HD are the best.
The main Aura HD drawback, for me, is the slippery back but one can get used to (me) or buy a cover or something.

Have fun with your e-readers
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Jackastor is right. The feel of the back of the Aura is lovely; the Aura HD, for all of its other upmarket features, has a placticky-feeling case, and a smooth back. If you're not going to use a Sleepcover or other cover, the Aura is a more sensual, pleasant device to hold in the hand.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Jackastor is right. The feel of the back of the Aura is lovely; the Aura HD, for all of its other upmarket features, has a placticky-feeling case, and a smooth back. If you're not going to use a Sleepcover or other cover, the Aura is a more sensual, pleasant device to hold in the hand.
The latest PaperWhite has the best overall screen. Not really a surprise as it uses the latest e-ink technology. And Kobo uses older screen tech with their latest products.

EBook-Reader im Test
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
I have an Aura HD and Paperwhite 1. I've never used Pocket before it was added to Aura HD. I really like the feature and have been using it more and more. So far I haven't had any trouble with it.

As for the Aura HD vs. Paperwhite since I got the Aura I haven't picked up the Paperwhite. My Paperwhite was pretty good, only a couple color splashes that were only visible in certain conditions. My biggest problem is with the added screen I never felt the fonts were sharp.

The Aura HD on the other had has a beautiful screen and light. I love the ability to customize without jailbreaking. I've been using it for 7 months without a cover. Have had no problem with the size or weight. I like the back, makes it easy to use one handed.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks everyone for your help. Ironically I am now having trouble with my Aura which is putting me off it. I can't use my wifi to connect to anything. It's enabled and finding networks, just not connecting

Last edited by Josieb1; 12-20-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
The latest PaperWhite has the best overall screen. Not really a surprise as it uses the latest e-ink technology. And Kobo uses older screen tech with their latest products.
Not sure if I would call it the best overall screen. I've compared the Aura HD to the Paperwhite 2 and the Aura HD for both the owner of the Paperwhite 2 and myself had the better looking display. Admittedly a bit of an apples and oranges comparison.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote