Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-03-2022, 08:55 PM   #1
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
[GUI Plugin] Check Books

Check Books allows you to check your library books with ACE and EPUBCheck. Unlike the ACE/EPUBCheck Editor Plugins, this one works in the main calibre interface, so you can save the result and reports to custom columns.

Main Features:
  • Check the selected books with ACE or EPUBCheck
  • Save the result (pass or fail) to a custom column
  • Save the reports to a folder, cloning calibre library structure (Autor > Book title > Reports), then add a link to a custom column. P.S.: If you are using calibre 6.16 or later, you can save the reports to the book's 'data' folder, inside the calibre library.
  • Choose the report format (ACE: JSON/HTML/Both; EPUBCheck: JSON/XML/XMP)
  • Choose the language to generate your reports
  • Auto update ACE and EPUBCheck
  • Bulk operation: you can check your whole library at once

Requirements:
Installation Steps:
  1. Download the attached zip file and install the plugin/add to context menu or toolbar/restart Calibre as described in the Introduction to plugins thread.
  2. Click on "Customize plugin" on the menu and set up your custom columns. This option is also available via the Preferences->Plugins dialog once you select it within the list.
  3. With calibre 5.35 or later, you can create each custom column with just two clicks, directly from plugin's configuration dialog. Do not close the configuration dialog until you have finished creating your columns, so you only restart calibre once.
Latest calibre version tested: 7.8

Version History:
Spoiler:

Version 0.1.8 - 17 Jun 2023
- Bug fix: ACE newer versions (1.2.8+) sometimes fail to complete the check of some books (when checking multiple itens). Those books are then incorrectly marked as invalid. Until this bug is corrected by ACE, the plugin was modified to rerun ACE on books that fail like that. It happens under the hood, so the user doesn't have to do anything.

Version 0.1.7 - 23 Apr 2023
- Bug fix: ensure EPUBCheck files were unpacked before running the first update check.

Version 0.1.6 - 22 Apr 2023
- Added an option to save the reports to the book's 'data' folder, inside the calibre library (calibre 6.16+ only).

Version 0.1.5 - 21 Jan 2023
- Bug fix in the update check mechanism.

Version 0.1.4 - 18 Aug 2022
- Allow not choosing a Report Column, so no report will be saved to the hard drive. This can be useful for those only interested on the Pass / Fail result.

Version 0.1.3 - 10 Aug 2022
- Add support for themed versions of icons (-for-dark-theme / -for-light-theme)

Version 0.1.2 - 11 Jul 2022
- Add support for automatic Dark and Light theme change

Version 0.1.1 - 30 May 2022
- Add a check for Node.js installation.

Version 0.1.0 - 03 Mar 2022
Initial release of Check Books plugin
Attached Files
File Type: zip Check_Books_v_0.1.8.zip (31.18 MB, 14820 views)

Last edited by thiago.eec; 04-16-2024 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Version 0.1.8
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:42 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Was responding to a message in another thread and reminded me that when I tried installing Check Book, I could never get the customization dialog to run. calibre just hung on a spinning cursor.

I just retried it today and with calibre 5.43, Windows 11 Pro x64, still no joy until I installed node.js and ace from Daisy's ACE installation page. Perhaps that should be part of the documentation.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-29-2022 at 09:56 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2022, 09:02 AM   #3
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Was responding to a message in another thread and reminded me that when I tried installing Check Book, I could never get the customization dialog to run. calibre just hung on a spinning cursor.

I just retried it today and with calibre 5.43, Windows 11 Pro x64, still no joy until I installed node.js and ace from Daisy's ACE installation page. Perhaps that should be part of the documentation.
Hi, @DNSB.

That's odd. I can't replicate this issue.

The config dialog is not tied to Node.js or ACE installation in any way. The only check made when opening it for the first time is related to EPUBCheck: it checks if your Java is 32 or 64 bits. This check is made only once.

It may cause a small delay when opening the config dialog for the first time. But it's just couple of seconds, anyway.

Now, about Node.js and ACE installation requirement. I'll add this to thread. Thanks for noticing it. Also, I added a warning message to the user when Node.js is not installed. As for ACE, there was already a message for it.

I'll release the patch in a few minutes.

Last edited by thiago.eec; 05-30-2022 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-11-2022, 05:19 PM   #4
thiago.eec
Guru

Version 0.1.2 - 11 Jul 2022

- Add support for automatic Dark and Light theme change
Old 08-10-2022, 09:10 AM   #5
thiago.eec
Guru

Version 0.1.3 - 10 Aug 2022

- Add support for themed versions of icons (-for-dark-theme / -for-light-theme)
Advert
Old 08-13-2022, 04:57 AM   #6
Springbok
Enthusiast
Springbok began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I have a question regarding the epubcheck part of your plug-in which I've been testing for a couple of days.
If I undestand correctly the EPUBCheck report column should contain a link to the report file beeing produced after the plug-in is run. I click on the contains and I don't get to the report. Clicking on it opens the calibre editor (not the book editor though).

Is it something I am doing wrong or I miss something in the setup?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:19 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
I have a question regarding the epubcheck part of your plug-in which I've been testing for a couple of days.
If I undestand correctly the EPUBCheck report column should contain a link to the report file beeing produced after the plug-in is run. I click on the contains and I don't get to the report. Clicking on it opens the calibre editor (not the book editor though).

The Calibre editor is the eBook editor. Also, you would be best to use the epubckeck plugin for the editor. It gives you a list of errors and you can click on them to go to where the error is. It's better then getting a report.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:45 AM   #8
Springbok
Enthusiast

Jon,
I know about the possibility to run the epubcheck plugin from the Calibre ebook editor (or from Sigil for that matter). I use it quite often.
The idea behind the Check Books plugin is that I can use it in batch straight from the calibre interface. This is useful for checking a bunch of books in the library.
I am trying to understand the use of "EPUBCheck report" column.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:24 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Jon,
I know about the possibility to run the epubcheck plugin from the Calibre ebook editor (or from Sigil for that matter). I use it quite often.
The idea behind the Check Books plugin is that I can use it in batch straight from the calibre interface. This is useful for checking a bunch of books in the library.
I am trying to understand the use of "EPUBCheck report" column.
What would work best (IMHO) is if the epubcheck report column could just be a Y/N column so you know if there are errors or not and if so, you would not need to see the errors as you can run epubcheck from the editor and fix them there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 03:01 PM   #10
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:

You can't click on links directly on the main book list.
The link is clickable on the Book Details panel. It appears at the end of the comments.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:21 PM   #11
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Calibre editor is the eBook editor. Also, you would be best to use the epubckeck plugin for the editor. It gives you a list of errors and you can click on them to go to where the error is. It's better then getting a report.
He means the comments editor.

Also, like @Springbok already said, the purpose of this plugin is not the same of the Editor plugin.

Some professional workflows require an ACE or EPUBChek report as an input. Also, you can scan your library and mark the books that need work. So, you will open an check only those that do have problems, instead of opening every book to check.

Quote:
What would work best (IMHO) is if the epubcheck report column could just be a Y/N column so you know if there are errors or not and if so, you would not need to see the errors as you can run epubcheck from the editor and fix them there.
The plugin uses two columns: one stores the link for the report, and the other one is a Y/N column, representing PASS or FAIL.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:30 AM   #12
Springbok
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
You can't click on links directly on the main book list.
The link is clickable on the Book Details panel. It appears at the end of the comments.
OK, I've got it, thanks.

PS. I must add 'comment editor' to my calibre terminology list. Until I have started playing with Checkbooks plugin I didn't even know that such program exists.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:37 AM   #13
Springbok
Enthusiast

Quote:
This is more less the way I have been testing the plugin so far. But I always prefer to check with the author what is the rationale behind certain features of the program. Now I am perfectly clear.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:16 AM   #14
thiago.eec
Guru

Version 0.1.4 - 18 Aug 2022

- Allow not choosing a Report Column, so no report will be saved. This can be useful for those only interested on the Pass / Fail result.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:24 AM   #15
thiago.eec
Guru

Version 0.1.5 - 21 Jan 2023

- Bug fix in the update check mechanism.