Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #31
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I have no interest in color e-ink. If there are pics in color that I would want to see, I'd sooner just look at them on my computer or iPad.
Not everyone who needs or wants color has the luxury or desire you have of being able to remain indoors.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #32
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Not everyone who needs or wants color has the luxury or desire you have of being able to remain indoors.
I was speaking for myself, not the entire human race.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 10-16-2011 at 09:06 PM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #33
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Military vehicle guides are not enhanced by being made larger. They need to fit in a cargo pocket.

The short battery life and poor usability outside in the sun make tablets a non starter.

Certain technical manuals could also use color. Again, for military use a screen that works in direct sunlight is a non-negotiable requirement.
Like the digitsed KV-1

I purchased an iPad 2 to allow me to read reference books, especially at my hobbybench. I will keep my ereader for reading fiction ebooks.

Last edited by sabredog; 10-16-2011 at 10:04 PM.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #34
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
While I would love a colour e-ink, I would prefer that they continue improving the e-ink's response time before playing with colours.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #35
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekster View Post
While I would love a colour e-ink, I would prefer that they continue improving the e-ink's response time before playing with colours.
Bookeen has developed high speed eink, what they call high speed ink system, or hsis. The Odyssey is supposed to feature this technology, which is supposed to be released in Europe some time soon.

spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #36
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
As demonstrated by iPads, and a lesser extent the many versions of Android tablets, the Tablet market far outstrips the ereader market. If a tablet could be made to eliminate the drawbacks of back lighted LCD screens (relatively short battery life and loss of readability in bright light) it would quickly surpass both the tabs and ereaders.

Rest assured that the tablet manufacturers are watching the screen technology arena very closely.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:10 AM   #37
GuillaumeJay
Enthusiast
GuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 1
I would buy a 10" colour e-ink reader until up to 400$ in a second. And would sell a lot of my RPG books in the next weeks.

Last edited by GuillaumeJay; 11-04-2011 at 04:25 AM.
GuillaumeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #38
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
I remember back in the 90's, PC monitors started to come out in colour. I was a mac guy at the time, and the best we had was grayscale. We mac people argued loudly at the time that colour was just chrome, and other than making the desktop look pretty, it didn't serve any real purpose.

That argument looks kind of silly in retrospect. I don't think many of us would go back to grayscale monitors.

Given a choice, I'd rather have higher contrast monochrome e-ink than colour. But when we get colour (which we eventually will), I will love it. And so will you.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #39
Robert West
Robert West began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I have the opposite question. Can any of the new color ereaders have the ability to switch between color and eink? In other words, because presently the quality of black and white text in eink is so much better than can be found so far on color tablets, I would want to switch to eink on a color reader or tablet when all I want to do is read a black and white book.
Robert West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:02 AM   #40
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert West View Post
I have the opposite question. Can any of the new color ereaders have the ability to switch between color and eink? In other words, because presently the quality of black and white text in eink is so much better than can be found so far on color tablets, I would want to switch to eink on a color reader or tablet when all I want to do is read a black and white book.
You're missing the point. Color e-ink is not "what can be found so far on color tablets". This is not about switchable displays. It is a new technology, that offers the same advantages for color as current e-ink does for b&w. At the moment there are, however, still significant drawbacks.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #41
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert West View Post
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, and can't really imagine how it would be done. (The eink panel would have to go behind the LCD panel because it is opaque. But then how would you read the eink through the LCD? And for that matter, how would you light the LCD?)
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #42
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeJay View Post
I would build a 10" colour e-ink reader until up to 400$ in a second. And would sell a lot of my RPG books in the next weeks.
There's one coming this fall from Ectaco in your price range:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...this-fall-350/

I'd rather use GoodReader on the iPad, myself.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:26 AM   #43
GuillaumeJay
Enthusiast
GuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'd rather use GoodReader on the iPad, myself.
Can you read your ipad on the beach ? Or, just outside, without any trouble ?
The answer is no, and for me, it's a big deal.

Thanks for the link !
GuillaumeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #44
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I would kill for colour e-ink. I can imagine few things I want more than something like the notebook computer I'm typing this on with the battery life or even half, of my kindle.

Mwah ha ha haargh. And I could use it outside on a sunny day... Mmm Mmm!

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #45
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
AS I read mostly text, color wouldn't be that useful to me. Save for being able to chose background color and such.

I'll gladly take it when it comes, but I'm not tapping my foot impatiently for that.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote