Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
RockyBubba
RockyBubba began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question PDF, Tags and Keywords

Hi,
I'm a rather new user of Calibre. I have a bunch of PDF I carefully tagged in Calibre and when taking them to Stanza I saw that the tags were lost. I've read that Calibre update the metadata only on send and save to disk.
So here are my questions: When I activate the content server, does it count as a Send to or Save to disk, ie will it update the metadata when Stanza will take the books through the wireless connection?
The second one is a little bit more annoying: I tried the Save to disk and it indeed updates the title, author and Creator/Software, but I was hoping to see the tags inside the keywords section (and replace some existing for example) and .... nothing.... I tried it with PDFs 1.5 and 1.6.
Finally, I saw that some people already asked for it but I didn't find the answer: do you know of a way to force the update of the metadata (for pdfs, but also for other formats) inside the files in the calibre library (without doing a X to X conversion) ?
That's all folks ;-)
Thanks in advance?

PS: I forgot I'm on Mac 10.6.7, Calibre 0.7.52
RockyBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
They should be updated on save to disk, send to device and downloading via the content server for some formats. The thing is that you're using PDF, which is notoriously bad when it comes to metadata reading and writing. I don't know if PDF is updated on export, but if it is, it's totally within expectations that the metadata writing can fail.
Bottom line: If possible, don't use PDF.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Hi, am I understanding this correctly; the corrections to metadata are not saved until I send the books to the device; and if they are PDFs, it is hit or miss as to whether or not they will be updated even then?
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOZAWUN View Post
Hi, am I understanding this correctly; the corrections to metadata are not saved until I send the books to the device; and if they are PDFs, it is hit or miss as to whether or not they will be updated even then?
That sounds about right!

The updates to metadata would alos occur if you used one of the other methods of exporting from Calibre such as "Send to Disk" or "Save to Folder".
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Thank you.
That would explain why, when I sent my Calibre Non-fiction library to my new Pocketbook 902 (bought so I could read all my PDFs) in a simple Title/Author arrangement, the Epubs were fine, the PRC/Mobis had the Title right (but no author), and the PDFs did whatever they liked - including using their original filenames as Titles.
What do you reckon might happen if I created a new (additional) library, copied all the PDFs (just the books, in their stored Title-Author filenames) from the existing Calibre folders into a new folder, then added them to the new Library?
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
metadata, pdf, stanza