Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #31
jayk
Enthusiast
jayk doesn't litterjayk doesn't litterjayk doesn't litter

Device: Iliad
On making it unbrickable

Hey Adam B.

A thought occurred to me... One of the things I occasionally do on freebsd/linux machines I've set up where people aside from me will have root access... If you put a file called -i in the really important directories - like / and /etc and /boot for example, it will force rm to prompt even if the -f flag was provided, because the shell interprets the rm -rf * as: rm -rf -i restoffiles

You can accomplish it easily by:

Code:
touch -- /-i /etc/-i
should make it much harder to accidentally erase everything with an errant rm -rf - it won't stop everything - but it adds a little safety.

JayK
jayk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #32
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Good tip! I'd recommend that iRex add this to the iLiad by default. (And I'm going to put it on the Ubuntu server at work tomorrow.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert