Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #196
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If I'm remembering correctly, BD uses MS Word as a resource to process certain file types, and from what you've said it must also use it for .LIT files. However, there are a number of conversion apps that will put your .LIT file into something else (like HTML) for you, which BD will handle fine on its own. I'd suggest Amber Lit Converter, or ConvertLIT for starters. They seem to be the ones that folks have the best luck with, based on recommendations around here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:41 PM   #197
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
If I'm remembering correctly, BD uses MS Word as a resource to process certain file types, and from what you've said it must also use it for .LIT files. However, there are a number of conversion apps that will put your .LIT file into something else (like HTML) for you, which BD will handle fine on its own. I'd suggest Amber Lit Converter, or ConvertLIT for starters. They seem to be the ones that folks have the best luck with, based on recommendations around here.
Amber LIT Converter has a bug in it that really bugs me. Just like one of the earlier versions of BD left out the leading space in italics, so does Amber LIT Converter. That's why I don't use it. I think it may be based on the code for CLIT 1.2 which also I think had the same bug.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2007, 04:13 AM   #198
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
BD does use Word to import HTML - at least some types of HTML. I suspect that what's happening here is that it's converting the LIT to HTML and then trying to use Word to import the HTML. The reason I know this is that, when I open an HTML file in BD, I get a pop-up from my virus scanner telling me that it's waiting to scan the Word template file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:48 PM   #199
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_morana View Post
I have bookdesigner installed.

However, I do not use MSWord, I use OpenOffice.

When I try to open a LIT file, It comes up with an error that says

"Operation failed. Check your MS Word Installation"

While I know that MS Word can be used to make LIT files, why do you have to have Word installed to open LIT in book designer?

Is there a work around?
Try:
1. Settings -> re-format completely, keep pictures, keep bookmarks and links, keep styles: all checked.
2. load your lit

Under the above settings BD will not use Word for the pre-processing of html's extracted from lit. However in this case some tag tree errors may appear. To check a tag's tree, press Tools -> Html Fragment Editor -> whole code. If there are some errors, they will be reported at the statusbar, and you will have to fix them manually (an automatic tree corrector is not ready yet).

Last edited by vvv; 06-11-2007 at 03:54 PM.
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #200
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So what part of Word is needed to do the conversion so maybe only that bit can be installed and not the rest? This is a guess that it's possible to do this.
Advert
Old 06-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #201
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
I haven't seen this addressed, but does BD work with Word 2007? I have Win XP (not Vista).
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #202
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
If you look at the files used by BD in the Program Files subdirectory you will see "clit" which I suspect is what BD uses to convert LIT files.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:51 PM   #203
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Yes BD uses CLIT to convert LIT. But it also accesses Word in order to convert to something BD understands. That is if I am understanding what vvv has been saying.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:33 AM   #204
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio717 View Post
I haven't seen this addressed, but does BD work with Word 2007? I have Win XP (not Vista).
I have XP pro and Office 2007 running on my wife's machine, which is where I do my BD work, I haven't seen any issues.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:35 AM   #205
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm running Office 2003 with BD and it works great.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #206
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Quote:
I have XP pro and Office 2007 running on my wife's machine, which is where I do my BD work, I haven't seen any issues.
Thanks, NatCh.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #207
NatCh
Gizmologist

You're welcome, Studio717.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #208
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes BD uses CLIT to convert LIT. But it also accesses Word in order to convert to something BD understands. That is if I am understanding what vvv has been saying.
You are right: Word is used to standardize html's and to fix tag tree errors which occur frequently in original html's. Well, Word outputs quite complicated html's, but I prefer to deal with them rather than with messed originals...
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:05 AM   #209
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
BD never ceases to amaze me.

Yesterday I encountered a book that looked very odd in html format.

All ' signs were replaces by some sort of grey rectangles about a size of a capial N. All " signs were replaced by black squares about 1/2 size of the mentioned rectangles. More over some of " signs were replaced by some odd sign...when I uploaded the file into BD, it sorted all the problems!

Isn't it amazing?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:27 AM   #210
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaksha View Post
I might be able to help you with this as I also had this problem.

My work has Adobe Professional, and while you can probably do this with Adobe Standard, I'm not sure if you can do it with Adobe Reader. But give it a shot!

Anyway, open the PDF and go to a page with the title at the top. Then go to Document -> Crop Pages.

Under "Margin Controls" change the top so that the line appears below the title.

In "Page Range" select All. I kept mine as Apply to: "Odd and Even Pages" but you might try just Even.

Click OK to crop the document.

Now, even though it's cropped, the words are still there. If you try to save the PDF and import it into BD, it'll still detect the title text. Also, you should check the document to make sure you didn't crop anything you didn't want to.

What you have to do is go to File -> Print. Select Adobe PDF and print it to a new document.

Open the new document and voila, no more titles every two pages.
You genius!
It works!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner