Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-18-2008, 11:16 PM   #16
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
T
/rant

I have a 14yo son with serious learning disabilities and welcome materials such as this. I'm not offended by any of the remarks just wanted to point out that there is an audience for this.
I think that we all agree that there is a need for reading material for the learning disabled community and younger kids.

The concern often is that many educators just "Teach" the book as opposed to letting the student read it or at least attempt to read it. This more often then not may and does get the student to associate reading with the Tedium of analysis as opposed to the pleasure of reading.

The concern IMHO in this specific case is that, except for some phrases and a few foreign language quotes her writing are quiet easy to comprehend, and her plots tend to be quiet complex, with elements sprinkled throughout the book not coming together till the end.

The fear is that trying to simplify that may end up reducing the beauty of the writing, and people who read it may never look beyond the simplified version.

There is often a similar concern with abridged versions, which often over simplify the books. And while I have to admit that I had and did read Abridged versions when younger, when I did go and read the originals, I more often then not enjoyed them even more.

Still you do bring up a good (contrary) point about the need for such books.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:37 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Just because it may not be to your taste, I certainly wouldn't read an abridged version, remember that there is an audience for abridged/simplified versions of classic books.
There's undoubtedly a market for it - "Reader's Digest" have been publishing "Condensed Books" for goodness only knows how long - decades, certainly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:45 AM   #18
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
It's not like the abridged versions are replacing the original ones.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:57 AM   #19
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's undoubtedly a market for it - "Reader's Digest" have been publishing "Condensed Books" for goodness only knows how long - decades, certainly.
According to their website, since 1922.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #20
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
My first thought:

I really would welcome an abridged Wheel of Time version
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #21
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
My first thought:

I really would welcome an abridged Wheel of Time version
Or an abridged version of Tolkiens "Return of the King" with the boring parts of Sam and Frodo wandering around in Mordor edited out. I have such a hard time getting through those parts everytime I reread the Ring books

Last edited by Slite; 09-19-2008 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Mordor! Not Moria!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:11 AM   #22
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Or an abridged version of Tolkiens "Return of the King" with the boring parts of Sam and Frodo wandering around in Moria edited out.
Ehm...Mordor. They pass through Moria at the end of The Fellowship of the Ring
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:15 AM   #23
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Ehm...Mordor. They pass through Moria at the end of The Fellowship of the Ring
Bah! I messed that up, thanks for spotting it Original post edited, and I knew it was Mordor
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I think that we all agree that there is a need for reading material for the learning disabled community and younger kids.

The concern often is that many educators just "Teach" the book as opposed to letting the student read it or at least attempt to read it. This more often then not may and does get the student to associate reading with the Tedium of analysis as opposed to the pleasure of reading.
The way a lot of English teachers teach books is what's causing a lot of students to not want to read for pleasure. They use books that kids don't enjoy and then make the kids dissect the books and have to look at each little bit that it's a real turn off. So it's no wonder we (overall) do not read as much as we should. And to be honest, I don't think Shakespeare is all that wonderful to have to read for English class when you are that young.

Fortunately, I have parents who allowed me to read what I wanted when I was a kid and that really helped me get into reading and enjoy reading. If what I had to go on what what was butchered in school, I might not be the avid reader I am today.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Certainly true! It probably helps the conversation around the water cooler so they everyone can talk about any book that comes up.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just like those nice people who do "Cliff's Notes" have saved generations of teenagers from the inconvenience of having to actually read all those boring classics .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #27
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
I have a 14yo son with serious learning disabilities and welcome materials such as this. I'm not offended by any of the remarks just wanted to point out that there is an audience for this.
Well, the thing is... does it make sense to give someone who is at a less advanced level of reading a hacked up version of a more complex book, or a well-written less complex book? I'd bet the latter would be more fun to read.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #28
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
It depends on your reading issues. If it's simply a matter of not having enough instruction that's one matter and reading a challenging book may be fun and a learning experience. But when it's due to organic reasons, such as poor fluid reasoning (not being able to infer or see symbolism) or various dyslexia permutations then reading challenging books can be too much. That's where abridged versions come in handy. There's a whole category of reading materials called high-interest reading where topics that appeal to older teens and adults are written at a low difficulty level. Most of those that I've seen are original material not rewritten classics.

I'm also a huge fan of Classics Illustrated and graphic books such as "The Cartoon History of the Universe". Great Illustrated Classics is another good example of abridged versions of classic books. My daughter read the Great Illustrated Classics version of "The Wizard of Oz" several years before she could read the original. Even though she has no reading difficulties I was happy that she could read an abridged Wizard of Oz and enjoy it.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #29
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Bah! I messed that up, thanks for spotting it Original post edited, and I knew it was Mordor
IMHO, a completely understandable error -- those parts are so boring it's impossible to remember where they are!
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampmiller View Post
Why 88 pages? Can be done in 20 words:

Poirot on cruise. Simon and Jacqueline kill Simon’s wife for money. Commit suicide when caught. Everyone else gets dysentery.

People point the finger at ebooks being the death of books, when it's things like this.
As a side-track (somewhat) to all this, there was a short story by Fredric Brown about a man trapped on an island. He decided to write a great poem about his experiences - in sand.

However, he kept editing it and editing it (he was still trapped, by the way). Finally, this great poem went from a great number of words to a few words, and then finally to only ONE WORD.

Can you guess what this one word was?

Reminder: This is a family-oriented site, with many young people here.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote