Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Help! (to buy or not)

I desperately need a bucket of cold water on my head. So, I found Odyssey Frontlight with free delivery and -15 € discount. I already have 2 ereaders and 2 tablets. I recently overspent a bit. I don't have too much cash. I don't need another ereader. I so shouldn't!!!

BUT BUT BUT!

New gadget! With touch screen I never had on ereader, and light! With discount and free delivery till 17.12! What to do?????????????
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Upgrade to a frontlighted reader is only worth it if you're often in a situation where you can't read due to lack of light (because your partner has to sleep, or you didn't pay your electricity bill, or you travel alot in trains which do not have lights over the seats, or whatever).

I wanted it for the same reason you do (new gadget), wasn't sure whether to get it or not, ordered it, cancelled the order, got it shipped a couple of days later anyway, returned it after a day.

If you need the light, the FrontLight HD is a nice device. I would recommend it if it's to be the first eReader for someone. It's easy to use, light is great, and it still has page flip keys so you don't have to smudge the display all the time.

I still returned it because, I didn't really need the light after all. And there'll probably something better out next year... who knows?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
I don't agree with Frostschutz.
I have the reader-light on all the time now, I don't want to live without anymore.
Reading is MUCH easier this way to me.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well. I ordered it. I never had a touch screen ereader, I'm a bit fed up with buying expensive batteries for kandle, and I already sat out 2 generations of Cybook (Orizon and first Odyssey last year). And I love to read at night in bed so it will be useful. I watched some youtube films and it looks quite impressive. Pixmania sells it for 152€ (+ cheapest delivery 5€) but I paid 137€. Too good occasion to pass up. Now I'm done with ordering whatever until February (or so I tell myself )
Old 12-14-2012, 04:29 AM   #5
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Well. I ordered it. I never had a touch screen ereader, I'm a bit fed up with buying expensive batteries for kandle, and I already sat out 2 generations of Cybook (Orizon and first Odyssey last year). And I love to read at night in bed so it will be useful. I watched some youtube films and it looks quite impressive. Pixmania sells it for 152€ (+ cheapest delivery 5€) but I paid 137€. Too good occasion to pass up. Now I'm done with ordering whatever until February (or so I tell myself )

152€??????
Thalia.de has it for 129€ (I ordered mine there). Not sure where in EU you are, but even 137€ sounds high...

Last edited by WS64; 12-14-2012 at 04:31 AM.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:48 AM   #6
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

I'm in Belgium. There's no other place which sells them here than Pixmania. And if I order from abroad for 129 (eg. Cultura.fr) delivery is 20€ so I'm back to 150€ if I want or not.

Just checked Thalia.de Odyssey 129€ + 8€ delivery = guess what, 137€ anyway.

Doesn't Bookeen itself sell them for 149,99?

Last edited by Chi Cygni; 12-14-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Have fun with the device!

Thalia.de sells them with their own shop built in, so they expect to make additional ebook sales through that.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Thanks! all the better for me that I didn't buy from Thalia then because I cannot read German and it would be useless.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Oh ty
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Old 12-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Update. Sadly, I'm sending it back. It is nice and sleek and has all the bells and whistles but I found myself squinting while reading with light all the time. I am quite sensitive to light so it must be me, not the reader. With light off the screen is darker than old vizplex of Opus compared side by side. I would still have kept it but what tipped the scale my Odyssey developed 4 dead (bright) pixels in 24 hours. I suppose it should NOT be so. And, strangely when I took it first out of the box I didn't fall in love with it. It just doesn't have the spirit. I know I'm being weird here, but I loved Opus immediately and this one not. Boohoo, there goes a new gadget...
Old 12-27-2012, 03:09 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Are you sure light was at minimum ?

Dead pixel ? How the hell could that happen ? Can you get a photo ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Dead pixel ? How the hell could that happen ? Can you get a photo ?
I have at least 3 in my Orizon (but it's a Sipix screen, not Eink), two are always black, one is always white. I don't notice them when reading a book, but when reading comic stripes they look like specks in the image files... and when I try to fix them in the computer they're not there
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #14
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Whatever light level I could see bright specks. Two appeared on the first evening, two on the next day. With light on I could see one clearly and the rest when I tilted the screen. I don't want to wait until it is full of them. No photos on account that the thing is now sealed in the box and I go to post office today. I am within 14 days of possible return with no costs so it has to go. Pity really, I like Bookeen.