Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleKB (fixed battery!) and a new Kobo Glo!
Nook

So, I wander into Currys on Saturday and notice they stock the Nook so I wander over to have a little play.

EWW!

Why does the device need to feel like it's made of black-painted cardboard and have such an enormous bezel around the display? It looks to me like someone has made a most egregious error in their design brief and noone noticed!

Apologies to all those who think it's a lovely unit.

Regards

Piggly

Last edited by WigglePig; 12-02-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Wrong subforum!
WigglePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by WigglePig View Post
So, I wander into Currys on Saturday and notice they stock the Nook so I wander over to have a little play.

EWW!

Why does the device need to feel like it's made of black-painted cardboard and have such an enormous bezel around the display? It looks to me like someone has made a most egregious error in their design brief and noone noticed!

Apologies to all those who think it's a lovely unit.

Regards

Piggly
It's a matter of taste. You don't like it, I find it very comfortable to hold. The bezel is the right size as far as I'm concerned to lay my thumb on it and press the page turn button.

The good thing is that there are other manufacturers out there, so if you don't like what B&N has to offer, you have other options.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Are you in the UK, Wiggle?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleKB (fixed battery!) and a new Kobo Glo!
True, there are other offerings. I was just interested to see how big the bezel was, which seems to make it look odd, to me at least.

I am in the UK, yes. Why do you ask?

Piggly
WigglePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I agree, it looks odd. It doesn't look as sleek as many other devices. But it's so comfortable to hold! At least the way I want to hold it. I totally understand that it might not fit others though. Wouldn't it be just too boring if we all had the same likes and dislikes?!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I hated the form factor until I tried it and now I rather like it!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I like the wide edges on the Touch. Some folks complain about how easy it is to accidentally do a page forward or back by accidentally touching the screen. Imagine how much they'd complain if the area to hold it with were narrower. Myself, I think it's perfect.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
That's pretty much how I thought when I first saw the Nook in the flesh too. I hadn't noticed it in the pictures online but when I saw it I was struck by how big the bezel was and how it seems so square shaped..... clearly some people like it though!

Incidentally, you can buy the standard Nook Simple Touch for £59 in Argos right now, so square or not, it's a bargain
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:01 AM   #9
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
I like my Nook Simple Touch. When I first saw it I thought it looked a little strange, but that it'd probably be comfortable to use 'cause the bezel is so wide. I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS). I needed an ergonomic ereader and the Simple Touch is just that, as well as the Nook Simple Touch GlowLight.

*holding Nook Simple Touch for a bit* It's easy on the eyes, easy to hold and... simple!
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:41 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
I like my Nook Simple Touch. When I first saw it I thought it looked a little strange, but that it'd probably be comfortable to use 'cause the bezel is so wide. I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS). I needed an ergonomic ereader and the Simple Touch is just that, as well as the Nook Simple Touch GlowLight.
I agree on the bezel. And I really like the design of the page turn buttons. I hardly ever have to touch the screen to turn pages. I own (and have owned) a few different eReaders -- the NST and NST w/Glowlight are the most comfortable to hold and use out of all of them.

Unfortunately B&N's eReader services and infrastructure are nowhere near as nice as Amazon's. Nor are there prices for the most part. But strictly as a reading devices, the NST and NST w/Glowlight are still my favorites.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by WigglePig View Post
What does "black-painted cardboard" feel like? I have no idea. The Nook has a grippy texture that also feels smooth. It does feel a little strange if you are only used to holding smooth plastic and glass devices.

Now, the enormous bezel is a plus in my opinion. When you sit down to read for 8 straight hours you kinda want something to hold on to, you know? Some sort of thing to put your paws on so that the device doesn't cramp your hands or keep sliding from your tenuous grasp... something like... I GOT IT! Something like a nice big bezel!

I also love that Amazon has done a good job keeping bezels around on most of their devices. You know... so I can hold it...

Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote